General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Maple Grove, Minnesota
United States
Dare to Dream Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 31m 15s
Overall Rank = 66/367
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 and had a banana, cup of pears and a glass of apple juice, and also some Tylenol. Packed everything up and made the short drive from the hotel to the race. Had to park a few miles away so I grabbed my gear and rode my bike to the race.
Event warmup:

I guess the 2 mile bike ride counts.... Mostly just did a lot of stretching and took a Powerbar Gel before the swim.
Swim
  • 31m 47s
  • 1586 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was made more difficult by having to sight so much and not go off of other people. Felt more tired than normal during the swim but kept a good rhythm going. Not a lot of traffic after the first 200. Buoys a little closer together would have helped. Goggles didn't leak again so that's a plus.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

There was a decent run from the beach to T1 which isn't included in this time. Did stop before T1 to take my wetsuit off. Pretty ordinary here. Already had my shoes clipped in so I slipped into them once I was up to speed.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much. Wasn't able to tape my gels to my frame so that cost me a few seconds, but it's a few seconds, big deal.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 49s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed the bike hard and thought I'd be a little quicker than this but I'm still happy. Course was a little longer than advertised so my pace was actually about 21.1 mph. Stayed in aero for quite a bit of it. One intersection we had to go through gravel because of construction, so that was sketchy but otherwise it was good. Met up with the sprint athletes with about 3 miles to go so there was more traffic then but a confidence booster too. Took one bottle of Heed and 1 powerbar gel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Slipped out of my shoes before hitting T2. Grabbed an extra drink from the water bottle after putting on the shoes and headed out.
Run
  • 41m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were pretty tired from pushing it on the bike so I decided to go at a "comfortable" pace for the run. Took off at a pace I was comfortable with and thought I could hold for the duration and was flying past people. Held the pace pretty well and then picked it up for the last mile. Took 1 Gel about 1.5 miles in.
What would you do differently?:

Smile more and cheer for the volunteers. I wish I would cheer them on more and express my gratefulness but during the course of the race I just zone out. I did go for a high five to one of the older male volunteers but his phone rang and he ignored me :( At least I got to high five the 3 little kids wearing the hamburger helper hands!! Sorry to the volunteer who's cup of water I accidentally dropped.
Post race
Warm down:

Was actually pretty exhausted from how hard I ran the last mile and sprinting the end to gain another age group position. Grabbed a gatorade and found a place to sit and rest. After awhile I grabbed another gatorade and walked to transition. Hungout afterwards for awhile and got some chow and visited with a few people.

Event comments:

I'm not use to a whole lot of post race activity but this was nice with the vendors and food and watching everyone finish. As usual volunteers did a great job and thank you to all the policeman (and women) who close off the intersections for us. Great race and would love to do it again.

Last updated: 2012-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:47 | 1586 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 16/31
Overall: 211/367
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:49 | 26 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 83/367
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 1 loop, some good little hills on the back half.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:00 | 06.2 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/31
Overall: 18/367
Performance: Good
Course: 2 Loop
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 11:30 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed