RaceTri
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 27m 14s
Overall Rank = 69/340
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:15am. Ate 1 bowl of Oatmeal with blueberries, banana, applesauce, protein shake, peanut butter, honey and nutella sandwich, 1 glass of water, 1 chocolate milk. Left the house at 4 am. On the way down I had one bottle of water. Got to the event at 4:50 am and was one of the first 10 people in the transition area. Set up Transition complete by 5:30. Total bathroom breaks since waking up=5 plus 2 while swimming. None during the rest of the race. Ate half of an oat bar at 6am. Ate a Citrus GU gel at 7:15.
Event warmup:

Shawn and I went and jogged .5 mile at 6am. I walked and jogged around another .5 mile. After the prerace meeting I swam about 300-400 yards. I should have done a little more and stretched my legs because I didn't get comfortable until about 500m into the swim and my right calf cramped up bad at the end of the swim.
Swim
  • 36m 48s
  • 2100 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was long. We started in age groups and I was in the front of my age group. I didn't get comfortable until about 500m into the first lap. My sighting was good until the last turn to go into the dock. I picked the wrong tree to sight but i still came in 3rd in my AG and around 10th overall.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a little more. Stretch my calves. Go a little harder at the end. Pick sight points before race starts.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

T1 went great except for my suit got snagged on my timing chip. +5 seconds

run a little faster from water exit to T1
Bike
  • 2h 43m 46s
  • 58 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Several things went wrong on my bike. 1) Speed/cadence wasn't working even though i checked it right before we started. I stopped a few miles in and tried to fix it. It worked for a minute then stopped working but it kept hitting the sensor so i heard that for the whole 56 miles. I took a wrong turn and went off course two miles. My average on the first half was around 23-24mph but on the way back my left knee started to hurt and my right calf was still sore from the swim cramp. My average speed on the way back was around 20. I ate one gel about 15 miles in then a cliff bar about 40 miles that took me about 30 min. to eat. Drank 3 aero bottles and 1/3 of my gatorade. I missed a water handoff and had to stop to pick it up. On the way into T2 I got my shoes off and rode on top really good. Right before i was about to jump off the bike I hit my front brake and wrecked. Scraped up both my knees, left elbow and left big toe pretty bad. I popped up right away and continued into transition.

Use a different speed/cadence monitor. This is the 2nd race it has happened. Slow down more at the water station. Go slower into transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I was a little shaken up from my crash outside T2 so I took a minute to compose myself. I probably took an extra 30 seconds more to compose myself.

Don't wreck outside T2.
Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 13.5 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at an 8:10 pace for the first 2 miles. They had aid stations about every 2 miles with everything needed (Coke, water, HED,Gatorade,water hose). I walked every aid station then ran right after. The run was mostly enjoyable and nice to have the aid stations as my next checkpoint and goal to get to. My legs felt really heavy at mile 5. The coke helped the most I think. I probably could have pushed a little harder on the run and kept it around an 8:45 pace.

Push through a little harder. Walk every other aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Massage. Water, Gatorade, pineapple

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs felt heavy on the end of the bike and a little on the run. Need to ride much more and ride harder.

Event comments:

The race started really late. They didn't have the water buoys set up until 7:30. The RD gave a funny and entertaining speech. They let anybody in the Transition area which I hated. The transition area was in a good spot and seemed to be big enough. The Porta Potties were a little too far from the transition area and there were only 2 of them, but they did have the public bathrooms open so that was nice. They also didn't have a water station at the transition area. Parking was good. Not sure they had a lot of stuff for the family and kids to do while the race was going on. The swim exit should have had better marking to sight like some big balloons. The run aid stations were fantastic and all the volunteers were great. Maybe a few more on the bike would have been nice. There were a lot of turns on the bike but they were pretty well marked. I just brain farted and wasn't paying attention when i missed the turn (totally my fault) not the course markings. There were 2 cattle guards covered well enough. Big potholes were spray painted. Around mile 20-28 the road was pretty bad. The swim was definitely long and a lot of people said the run was to but i didn't notice. Post race food and vendors were lacking greatly. They did have a teenage kid checking numbers and bikes at the transition area when I left.

Last updated: 2012-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:48 | 2100 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/33
Overall: 10/340
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course: 2 laps
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:46 | 58 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/33
Overall: 100/340
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:04:00 | 13.5 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/33
Overall: 90/340
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop 6.5 mile course. 80% shaded along river bank. Great run location. Great Aid Stations. Good checkpoints to keep going and motivated.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-28 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: The Utah Half

2012-08-28 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4384248

Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: The Utah Half
Nice job, that's a pretty impressive bike for going 2 miles off.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Utah Half Rss Feed