General Discussion Race Reports! » AQUADRAAT SPORTS IRONMAN U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

AQUADRAAT SPORTS IRONMAN U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New York, New York
United States
IRONMAN
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 04m 48s
Overall Rank = 1936/2146
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 235/384
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in NYC on Tuesday after a 12 hour ride. NYC is a big scarry place and I was very happy to find my hotel.

Pre Race - up at 3 - bagel and peanut butter at 3:15 and out the door at 3:30 to get on the ferry for 4 am to Ross Dock in New Jersey. 40 minute ferry ride - off the ferry, set up water bottles, checked transition bags and back on the ferry to get down the hudson. Made sure I was hydrating on the way and did a gu 10 minutes before I got in the water.
Event warmup:

No warm up swim allowed in the Hudson so I just sat in my chair and did some shoulder stretching on the ferry before emptying onto the barge.
Swim
  • 58m 41s
  • 4265 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well I think I did real good - I got out of the water didn't I - :)

Seriously though I have work to do on my technique for sure but I know I can swim the distance with or without a suit.
What would you do differently?:

not swallow any of the hudson and practice more
Transition 1
  • 10m 47s
Comments:

I took my time and changed put on my gear outside the tent - it was a mess in there and not enough vols. I think I did ok.

Overall - I would say just work on getting more efficient and faster with all of it.
Bike
  • 7h 35m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I need more work - tough to climb hills when you don't practice enough on them for sure.

Better preparation on hills and a better understanding on when to shift and how hard to push when I need too.

Transition 2
  • 10m 29s
Comments:

Liked the bike catchers.

Again, I just took my time to make sure I had everything I needed for the run. I might use a hydation belt next time.
Run
  • 6h 09m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a very tough run and I need work. There is no way I could have prepared myself in my area for this run - hills were excruciating. I would probably do a bit more research on the course I am running to better understand how I should have prepared.

More prep for sure. It was tough.
Post race
Warm down:

I could barely walk so I did not do much of a warm down lol.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Proper training on the correct hills.

Event comments:

The PA system shut down at 10 pm which sucked but they tried their hardest to keep the energy level at the finish line. I made the mistake of not getting on the first ferry to the swim which resulted in me not getting to the finish line by 10. I loved every second of it and can't wait for my next one.

Last updated: 2012-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:58:41 | 4265 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 261/384
Overall: 1936/2146
Performance: Good
Got out of the water and could not believe my watch - like I said before - salt, suit and $hit make a great combination for buoyancy and a bit of current as well LOL> I do regret not getting on the first ferry which resulted in me not getting to the finish line by 10 to hear Mike announce "Kevin Corriveau you are an IRONMAN" but he did meet me at the finish line, shook my hand and told me in person which was even better :)
Suit: sleeveless
Course: The Hudson River - straight swim from barge to the George Washington Bridge
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
07:35:12 | 112 miles | 14.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 250/384
Overall: 1859/2146
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Palisades parkway - long inclines, roughish roads - 2 loops of 56 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
06:09:34 | 26.2 miles | 14m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 235/384
Overall: 0/2146
Performance: Below average
Course: Incredibly, unbelievably hilly. I can't even describe it. The first 2 loops in Ross Park in New Jersey were crazy. You could not train for it - brutal. The Climb up the stairs to the George Washington bridge was tough and the run/walk over the bridge was cool. I am glad I got to see that in the day light. Beautifu! Once in NYC however, the course had a bunch more hills and crazy sharp turns - weird.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-28 12:12 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: AQUADRAAT SPORTS IRONMAN U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS

2012-08-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4384387

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: AQUADRAAT SPORTS IRONMAN U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS
KC, you ARE the man! Congratulations.
2012-08-28 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Sounds like it was a real tough one first time out KC, you did an awesome job to finish, congrats again my friend!!
2012-08-29 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
It is tough gauging a course only off elevation charts.  You are right about getting out to the course to actually experience it.  Too bad about not having enough volunteers.  I am sure this was a very tough day for the race organizers.  None the less - great job and congrats again!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » AQUADRAAT SPORTS IRONMAN U.S. CHAMPIONSHIPS Rss Feed