General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just how detrimental are late night meals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-31 11:22 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Just how detrimental are late night meals?

Between working later hours (finish work around 6 usually), training directly after work, and therefore only getting home or ready to eat later than 8, I often eat dinner at 9, 9:30 or later.  Last night it was 10 Frown  It's been thrown around that late night eating isn't good for weight loss, but just how badly am I jeopardizing my efforts to lose weight? 

I'm getting very tired of being stuck at the same weight and am wondering if this isn't playing into it.

2012-08-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4389836

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Just how detrimental are late night meals?
As long as you are within your allotted calories for the day, the time that you eat them is really not significant.
2012-09-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4389836

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Just how detrimental are late night meals?

It's usually late night eating has been poo-pooed is because that sort of snacking is typically high-sugar and high-fat. The body will be all fuelled up with nowhere to go and will instead process that junk directly into fat cells. A bedtime snack high in protein or foods with a low glycemic indices are a much better choice.

Similarly, a well-balanced small meal with lean protein, veggies and a bit of complex starch will be just fine before bed. You are, after all, not going to be eating again until breakfast which is another 8 or more hours away.

As well, you may want to consider have many more small meals during the day and after work before your workout so that you aren't ravenous at 9pm. It takes some planning but having quality nutrition (meal with a protein and greens) over the day can do wonders for weight loss and training quality.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just how detrimental are late night meals? Rss Feed