Multisport Madness Triathlon Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 21s
Overall Rank = 184/410
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/47
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, had my gear already in the car. Just put on my shorts and tri-top and had breakfast. I ate my usually bowl of Cherios. (I put honey on top of my cherios instead of sugar.) I also had a cup of "fruit at the bottom" Dannon strawberry yogurt and always mix in a sliced banana into the cup. It tastes great!
Event warmup:

No warmup...just basically got there and started cold.
Swim
  • 06m 31s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I did the best I could, considering this was my first triathlon swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

Terrible first transition time. I took my time and fuddled around too much. I did have everything layed out the way I wanted it to, but I took some additional time to put on a thermal top before I got on my bike, because it was cold. I didn't run, because I hate running with my bike shoes; I feel like I am going to break the clips.

not sure; perhaps put my bike gloves on while riding? I could have clipped my shoes to the bike and see how that went, but I didn't practice it enough.
Bike
  • 47m 19s
  • 14.6 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow! What an experience! The bike started out with a steep, but short hill which immediately took my breath away. I took a hit of my inhaler and off I went! Now, I don't consider myself a fast biker; I usually average 17mph during my workouts. During the triathlon, I felt like a different person. I was having a great time passing tons of people. Although I averaged only 18.6 mph during the bike, I felt like I was flying! I would spot someone ahead and me and just think about passing them and I did! It was great. I think I only counted about 6 or 7 people passing me on the bike and I think I re-passed a couple of them towards the last half of the bike which was cool. The bike out had the wind behind us and on the way back the wind was in our face. It wasn't too bad. I think I have had a lot of practice with the wind because every time I bike it seems like I was fighting the wind. Ever get the feeling that the wind is always a "head wind" no matter what direction you go? So weird....Anyhow, I had a blast on the bike and I can see now why the bike is the obsession of so many triathletes..Including myself now.

go faster on the bike. I am betting that I could have averaged closer to 20mph if I wanted to. I didn't want to tire my legs out though. I also could have attacked a couple hills better. I think I approached them too slowly and didn't gather enough momentum to climb the hills, thus, making it a slow climb in some situations.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

This was easy! I was able to get in and out of the T2 area much faster than T1. All I did was remove my thermal and put on my running shoes and I was off!

perhaps remove my feet from my shoes earlier. I also didn't run the correct direction on the way out.
Run
  • 34m 24s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

After heading the wrong direction out of the transition area (a volunteer pointed me in the right direction after a second or two of going the wrong way.) I was on my way!....Yes, my legs felt heavy like most triathletes and the first half-mile was difficult. The run was such a positive experience for me! I got to have a short chat with my wife as I ran by her. (She thought I was finishing soon! ha!) The run took us along the banks of the Fox River. It was a very nice and scenic course. Anyhow, I discovered that I had a lot of legs left in me during the run. I decided that it might be a better strategy for me to run fartleks during the run stage. Basically, I would see a tree ahead or a sign post and run at a faster pace to that spot and then just do it over and minute later, sometimes sooner. Again, like the bike, I was passing by a lot of people. That is just an awesome feeling. A lot of the people were supportive and would shout, "Your going strong! Keep it up!" as I passed them...very cool. I was also wearing my forerunner, so I would give people updates about our mileage; which everyone appreciated. One time I gave a lady an update that we were just about at the two mile mark and low-and-behold, we turned the corner and there was a sign, "Two Miles"...We both laughed. It was moments like those that made that day soooo much fun. I just loved the good sportsmanship during the entire race. People were so friendly and encouraging. Even my wife remarked that the wives she spoke to while she was watching me were quite friendly and had a lot to say to her. Well, the run went well! I averaged an 8:24 pace! That was really good for me...that is what I usually average when I do 5k's and I had already done a swim and a bike! I was amazed by all that. I also had enough leg in me to sprint the last 200 meters and make a strong finish. My only regret about the run was that I think I could have gone harder. I will next time.
Overall:

Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much other than just walk around, find my wife and give her a hug.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am asthmatic, so I guess that limits the amount of oxygen that my body can handle, but I was hardly fatigued during the run. I felt great the whole time!

Event comments:

I won't forget my first triathlon! Very cool experience and it was great to meet up with a couple guys from the triscoop.com forum. They were both very friendly guys. BTW, one of the guy's training partner was the overall winner of the triathlon. After the race I had the pleasure to be interviewed by Jumpy and he told me that he was going to submit it to Brett of triscoop.com. I can't wait to hear it. I was a little discouraged during the interview because I thought I placed near the bottom of my age bracket (27/35), but all the race results weren't in yet. I was later more pleased to read that I placed 27th out of 48 in my age bracket; which is what I thought I would do. I am usually a "mid-packer" in my age group so it was nice to see that my mediocrity held up! ha!

Anyhow, I am not signed up for another triathlon until Chicago, but I plan on joining a few more before August. I would like to do the Harbor Lights triathlon, the Lake Geneva triathlon, and the Naperville triathlon before my Chicago race. Perhaps a few more, who knows??? Can't wait! I am addicted now!

Last updated: 2006-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:31 | 437 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 104/410
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit (full length sleeves and legs)
Course: I jumped in and went all out too fast. I lost my breath quickly; it could have been a combination of going out too fast or the 60 degree water temperature. There was one part of the swim course that you actually had to walk through because it was too shallow to swim. They told us to only walk through the designated spot, but people were almost literally walking half the swim by walking around the edges of the quarry. (I thought they were cheating.) I would all of a sudden notice someone running and/or walking next to me while I was still swimming...weird...The other weird part of the swim was that you were constantly turning. There really was no "straight" part to the swim. We were all just swimming in a circle which made it hard to keep your bearings and sometimes I would find myself on the wrong side of the buoys. Nevertheless, I settled down and was able to find my stroke while swimming and got out of that water as quickly as I could.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:19 | 14.6 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Overall: 166/410
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back course. It was rather flat and the turns were wide and easy to get around. Some traffic was allowed to pass by us while we were racing. I heard someone got hit by a car, but nothing serious; just a flate tire.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:24 | 04.4 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 100/410
Performance: Good
Course: Ran out of the transition area, through part of the downtown and then 80% of the run was along the Fox River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-14 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: Batavia Triathlon

2006-06-14 8:16 PM
in reply to: #454677

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Batavia Triathlon
congrats!!!

this was my first tri too, i think it was a good one for being a first tri. the swim was annoying, but overall the event went well... working on my race report now.

congrats again = you're a triathlete now!

2006-06-14 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Nice job! 

See you in Chicago!

2006-06-15 6:26 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
NICE WORK on your first race.   Very nice on the pace for each event.  WOW!!!
2006-06-16 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
Congrats on your first race. I will be doing the Naperville Tri as my first. Hope to see you there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Triathlon Rss Feed