General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two different people one trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-04 9:32 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Two different people one trainer
Since the unofficial start to fall is upon us here in the northeast, I'm starting to think about bike workouts over the fall / winter on a trainer.   I have an issue though.  I have a road bike and tri bike with 700c wheels and I'm a fairly big dude.   My girlfriend who also got into doing tri's this year is a lot smaller than me and only has a road bike with 650's.  Since we have opposing schedules and limited budget I'd like to buy one decent trainer that will work for both of us.   I plan on putting in a lot of miles getting ready for IMLP next year and she plans on doing a few HIM's.  What would be my best option considering I have different wheel sizes and would need to swap out bikes often?   Ideally I would like that transition to have the minimal amount of steps so I could do it quickly and still have good stability.

2012-09-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4394175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Two different people one trainer

Tracker09 - 2012-09-04 9:32 AM Since the unofficial start to fall is upon us here in the northeast, I'm starting to think about bike workouts over the fall / winter on a trainer.   I have an issue though.  I have a road bike and tri bike with 700c wheels and I'm a fairly big dude.   My girlfriend who also got into doing tri's this year is a lot smaller than me and only has a road bike with 650's.  Since we have opposing schedules and limited budget I'd like to buy one decent trainer that will work for both of us.   I plan on putting in a lot of miles getting ready for IMLP next year and she plans on doing a few HIM's.  What would be my best option considering I have different wheel sizes and would need to swap out bikes often?   Ideally I would like that transition to have the minimal amount of steps so I could do it quickly and still have good stability.

No worries.  Most trainers will accomodate both 650 and 700 wheels.  I have a 700 road bike and 650 tri bike and have used both on my trainer.   I just take out one bike, adjust the resistance wheel closer/further away and hook up the next bike before securing the resistance wheel.

The only issue you may encounter is needing to swap out the 'special' skewer between your rear wheel and hers.  Or, just buy two.

ETA: She may also need an significantly higher riser block under her front wheel.  I had to build one with 4x4s to keep my 650 bike from pointing 'downhill'. 

Edited by Farlig 2012-09-04 12:02 PM
2012-09-04 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4394531

User image

Master
Farlig - 2012-09-04 12:58 PM

ETA: She may also need an significantly higher riser block under her front wheel.  I had to build one with 4x4s to keep my 650 bike from pointing 'downhill'. 

Phone books solve this problem nicely.  And, they turn into very interesting works of art when repeatedly splattered with sweat.

2012-09-04 12:49 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have a 700c road bike and 650 tribike and the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Trainer works fine with both.  I have no issues with my tribike pointing down with the block that came with it.  I did buy a cycleops 4 level climbing block that to get different heights though.
2012-09-04 1:32 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

If you're on a limited budget, then I'd definitely recommend this Ascent trainer.  It's just a basic fluid trainer without the bells and whistles, but great and I've been really happy with it.  I am more than pleased with the purchase and feel like I got a really good deal for the price and performance.  I can't say enough good things about this fluid trainer!

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_120106_-1___

My bike has 650's and my husband's bike has 700's and this fluid trainer works for both of us- no issues there. 

We actually have 2 of these trainers- one magnetic and one fluid. Personally, I prefer the fluid trainer since the magnetic trainer is about 50x noiser.  It works fine but it's REALLY LOUD- probably more loud than my old CycleOps magnetic trainer that I used to have.  Also, it's easier to get my 650's onto the fluid trainer than it is with the magnetic trainer.  For some reason when I plop my bike on the magnetic trainer I have to crank the adjustment knob very, very, very tight so that the resistance presses up against my back wheel enough.  Sometimes I can't crank it tight enough and my husband has to do it.  With the fluid trainer I don't have those issues.

Also, I think it's easier putting my bike on this trainer than it was with my CycleOps.  It's less adjusting and knob turning to get it just right.  It's now a very simple process.

If I have mentioned it earlier, I highly recommend this trainer if you want something basic that will do the job

2012-09-04 2:14 PM

User image

New user
Thanks for all of the great advice, this was really helpful

2012-09-05 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I purchased a Travel Trac fluid trainer for $130.00 at a LBS. It has been great and I have not had any problems with it. You could probably get 2 (1 for each of you) for the price of 1 cycle ops or KK. But on a side note, my g/f and I share the same trainer all the time. It takes less then 5 mins to swap out skewers and put the bike on the trainer. I kinda wished we had 2 trainers though so we could work out together instead of 1 after the other, alot less time consuming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two different people one trainer Rss Feed