General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 1h 34m 43s
Overall Rank = 45/184
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar and watered down Gatorade when I woke up. I was out of bananas, so my usual pre-race meal was slightly altered. Got to Buck Creek right at 6:00 AM and took care of the usual details. HFP Racing doesn't assign exact rack location, only rack row. So getting there early helps guarantee an nice end location.
Event warmup:

Swam 150-200 yards to warm up. Ended up standing around for another 30-45 minutes waiting for the girls-tri-to swim portion to end. This threw me off a bit and I forgot to take a GU because I was busy chatting with other athletes.
Swim
  • 22m 51s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Longer than normal swim is never good for me since it is my worst leg. For some reason sighting was incredibly difficult and I found myself making adjustments constantly. I never found feet to swim on and I never really felt in the zone. Long run from beach to transition was included in the swim time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

T1 was uneventful. Wetsuit came off fine. Second best T1 time in my AG, second only to a guy that swam without a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 43m 28s
  • 14.65 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The sprint bike course was changed last minute due to road maintenance. I checked the map on Friday and swore it said the disatnce was less than 12 miles and was an out and back. The entire way out was a net uphill and into the wind, so I was doing my best not to cook myself. As I approached the 6 mile mark, the turnaround was no where to be found. Finally at the nearly 7.5 mile mark did we make the turn. This definitely threw me off mentally. The ride back to transition was extremely fast, averaging around 24 mph on that leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Both of my calves cramped as I tried to get my running shoes on. Other than that, it went fine.
Run
  • 26m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was the exact opposite of the bike. A net downhill on the out and uphill on the way back. I simply didn't have it in my legs this race. I was hot and honestly my mind was on just getting it over with and not on racing.
Post race

Last updated: 2012-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:51 | 1094 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 61/184
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:28 | 14.65 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 38/184
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 85/184
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-06 1:22 PM

Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed