Set Up Events
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 56m 9s
Overall Rank = 115/304
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/52
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Drove to race site and arrived about 5:30. Pop tarts and a power bar.
Event warmup:

Didn't get a chance to warm up bike and run... spent too much time setting up I guess. A bit of a walk down to swim start and I wanted to preview the swim course. Got a few strokes in before starting.
Swim
  • 36m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Most contact I've had in a swim but nothing major. Just hard to find open water until the 2nd half. Went wide a few times maybe due to current or not swimming straight. Crowded at the buoys with prior waves. Pleased with the AG rank.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

5/52. Hustled up from the beach to cut time. Had a bunch of grass on my feet but didn't take any time to wipe it off.

Not much... maybe put nutrition in different pockets and not all in one.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 59s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was high starting out but came down after a few miles. Started to feel bad after beginning to take on nutrition around mile 10. Had a couple up and downs and some chills/weakness and a bit of nausea, but not sure why. Maybe a bad mix of intake but have felt this way before so still need to figure it out. I stopped the chews and took fluids and a bar. Felt much better about mile 40 and cruised to the end at about HR 145 taking water and the rest of gatorade. Legs got tired about half way so I probably pushed the hills too much and not high enough cadence.

Take it easier on the uphills.. HR got to the 160s on a bunch.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

6/52, Didn't use yanks and just tied shoes and it worked fine. I was early and got a good spot on the rack.

Dry off feet.
Run
  • 2h 10m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling great and recovered from the bike issues. Went slow and steady for the first mile. No cramps. Plan was to use a run walk strategy which started at first aid station. Badly wanted to speed up after around mile 3 but held back keeping in mind the heat and distance left. Kept HR around 160 and allowed it to go to 165 after mile 5. Took water and ice at each aid station along with short walk breaks. Took Infinite in between, 16 oz total. Felt a bit rough at the 5 mile point in the sun but used the aid station to recover. Felt good to get to the turnaround aid station and kept a steady pace. Felt alone running in the woods on the 2nd lap a few times and thought I might have got off the course. Hit the 10 mile point and said it was time to drop the hammer. Increased the pace some and then really let it go after the 10.5ish mile aid station knowing it was a straight shot to the finish... downhill I told myself. Still used the last two aid stations but pressed the pace to finish strong.

Heat was a factor but not as bad as expected. I was putting ice down my tri suit each station. It was melting and running down into my shoes... so I started having some blister issues without socks and heavy shoes the last half of the race. Not sure how to prevent this but it was worth it to keep cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, pizza

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Appears to be nutrition issues on the bike. Felt good about pacing but maybe push harder.

Event comments:

Another well run race from Set-up events. The aid stations were great and well stocked with ice on a hot day. Nice shade on the run course.

Last updated: 2012-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:16 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/52
Overall: 52/304
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average