General Discussion Race Reports! » Toad Suck Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toad Suck Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conway, Arkansas
United States
DLT Event Management
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 23s
Overall Rank = 2/97
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took a shower and shaved. Used the bathroom. Got dresed, got gear from hotel, loaded up the truck, ate breakfast and went to race site. Set up transition area.
Event warmup:

Did some neuromuscular activation exercises and went for a short jog, came back to transition got a quick ride - spinning easy and checking all gears, pre-race meeting, ate a little bit of a gold bar, got a short swim in and waited in the water because it was warmer in the water than it was out of it.
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt okay. Sunshine was in your face the whole way out to the turn. It was really bright. I went back and switched goggles to the mirrored from the clear. Bumping was not too bad. I did catch a few drafts and stayed within my game plan. It felt a little slow, but when I got out it was a quicker time than MIM and that felt good. I was able to accelerate a little in the homestretch without burning too many matches. I wasn't in the fast pack of swimmers so I knew I would have some people to chase on the bike. This is okay with me, because I like rabbits!
What would you do differently?:

Could've taken bouys a little better.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Good transition overall. Long run from lake up to T area is counted in the swim. Had a little trouble buckling my TT helmet chin strap (that's twice - also at Showman Shooter). Jumped on bike well. Got up to good speed, I had trouble with one strap tightening down on the first try on my shoes.

Buckle a little easier. Strap shoe better. Minor points.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Awesome bike for me! I had the fastest bike split of the day. I felt good and pushed hard, but was able to stay within myself. I passed everyone I came out against. About 10-15 minutes in I caught up to Justin and passed him on an uphill (he said "Already?"). I passed Mark Temme (overall winner)on a slight hill(and he passed me back on a down hill, then I passed him back for good at about 15-20 minutes in. I kept chasing down the rabbits. When we got close to the turnaround I knew I could find out my position relative to the rest of the field and I knew I could see how much time I had on Justin & Mark (both faster runners than me). I started counting people that were headed back in before I made the turnaround and I had moved up to fourth overall (since we started in a wave swim start - we all would be at the same time). I felt strong and thought I could make up some time on the inbound portion of the bike. I also had about 1 minute on Mark and about 2 minutes on Justin. I was hoping I could double those times and give myself some cushion on the run. I was able to run down third place and second place and I was in second overall on the road (a very new experience for me). I was hoping to race well enough to place on the podium in AG, but I didn't think I had a chance at overall. Then at almost the end I got passed by a guy I had passed around mile 5. I was a little confused, but he looked strong and I couldn't keep up with him, so I kept him in my sights and didn't let him have too much distance. Pulling into the state park for dismount I got out of shoes and rode on top easily and I did a good flying dismount and ran the bike in. Landed a little hard on my feet, but I was okay.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I got the new racing flats on, but I had to adjust the sides a little. They are a little more flimsy since they are lighter uppers and I had to make sure they were on straight. Grabbed my visor and belt and GU and ran out. Good overall T2. My watch said my T2 was actually 59 seconds not 1:01.

Nothing.
Run
  • 46m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run strong and limit the number of people that passed me. I had hoped I had put enough people behind me that I could hold on and keep a good position in the race and in my age group. Just after the 1 mile mark and before the first aid station there was a turn into a residential area. I asked the volunteer who was marking the run course how many people were ahead of me and she said only one. I was a little confused since I was third coming off the bike (turns out one of the guys was in the aquabike - I'm assuming). I kept running a good but hard pace and at about 2.5 miles someone caught me and passed me, he had a 40 on his calf (Ugh). After just a minute or two more, Mark passed me (43) and from Memphis. I knew he was a superior runner and I couldn't match him, so I just let him go and now I was in fourth. At the turnaround I went up the hill just after and saw a guy walking at the top of the hill, I knew I could get him. At about 4.5 I caught him and passed. I was worried about Justin catching me so when I crested the hill I felt good enough to kick up the pace because I knew I had enough in me to go the last two to three miles strong and negative split. No one else passed me and when I got back to the park and on the grass I pushed even harder, running into the transition area and around it to the finisher chute I knew I had raced well.

I may have had a little left at the end to push the pace from the second half.
Post race
Warm down:

A little light stretching and some waters. Then some post race food and finding out that the guy that passed me on the run first was in the duathlon and so it was Mark in first overall and I was in second overall. I was shocked. Very excited! Great race!

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race and the management company put on a great event, even with the start being a little behind. He communicated that he was sorry for the delay and how long it would be delayed and why. His post race was great and had a hometown feel to it. He even waited for the awards and door prizes until the last competitor crossed the line. I was excited about that because just a few weeks before S2F events was breaking down the T area before people had even crossed the line.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 29/97
Performance: Good
Avg HR 153
Suit: None
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle with a triangle at the top of course (shaped like a house).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:49
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:23 | 24.85 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 1/97
Avg HR 153
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back with mostly rollers and a couple of good hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:03 | 06.21 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 22/97
Avg HR 155
Course: An out and back with rollers and one good hill. Run through state park parking lot to a field out to the highway and then into a more rural, residential area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Toad Suck Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-09-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4404935

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Toad Suck Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job Chris! My folks live in Conway and I have done this race before! Loved the beach start when I did it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toad Suck Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed