General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriRock Clearwater - Intermediate Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-17 9:19 AM

User image

New user
Subject: TriRock Clearwater - Intermediate Course : Official Thread

This weekend I road the proposed bike course for the Trirock triathlon in Clearwater (Olympic distance).  Just a few observations I had while I was out there.  Although most of Florida is flat....this course is not.  There are 3 major bridges that have a substantial climb (for us Floridians anyway).  The first one is at the beginning leaving clearwater beach across 60.  The second is the bellair causeway near the end.  And the 3rd one is Sand Key bridge on Gulf Blvd at the end.   By the third bridge, after 23 miles, it is quite challenging.  After doing the St. Athony's course, which was flat, this one seems a bit more difficult. 

Also, there are at least 4, maybe 5, sets of train tracks that you will be riding over.  My advice is to try to ride the course once before the race to see where the bumps and rough spots are.  There are many lights as you go through downtown clearwater.  The roads in some places (especially through some neighborhoods) are also a bit rough. 

One more observation...if the winds are coming from the north, the last 4 miles in to the finish are going to be a nightmare.  When I rode it I had a major headwind and it was difficult to maintain  a quick pace.  If the winds are coming from the south, then it will be much more comfortable.

Just a few observations...

Scott

2012-09-17 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4414304

Subject: RE: TriRock Clearwater - Intermediate Course : Official Thread
Thank you Scott!!  We are coming over to ride/run the sprint course in a few weeks!  Thanks for the advice and insight!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriRock Clearwater - Intermediate Course : Official Thread Rss Feed