Max Performance
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 37s
Overall Rank = 147/505
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 10/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 430. Wanted to get to the race site before the main parking lot closed.
Got to site at 630. Got my number and set up transition. Max performance has these new racks. The back tire goes in these slots. Very easy you don't have to worry about the big metal ones. But on a breezy day, they can push your bike over.
Event warmup:

"Running" with Myles on the Bike and run out.

Swam for a bit to get used to the current and temp.
Swim
  • 11m 35s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had to swim to the starting buoys and then wade, although the water was only about 5 feet deep. I started all the way to the right, and was by myself till the first buoy.

Had one issue. I started breathing to one side, and didn't sight. Went way off course. Adjusted and didn't have any more problems.

I didn't do poorly drafting, I wasn't near enough anyone to draft.

I felt this was a very fast swim for me, until I saw my time. Felt like I was going faster. My swim times were going down the last couple of weeks.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Felt very fast, but maybe could have pushed more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Rack was right near transition. Had a long run to the bike out though.

Got to my spot. Took my suit down to my heels, then had no problem taking the suit off of each foot. I put a ton of bodyglide on each ankle and foot.

Had a little issue getting my shoes to clip in. Also my front wheel felt wobbly. Didn't seem flat just loose.

Check both tires and wheels the day before to make sure they were okay. No idea what happened.

ride bike to transition if possible, which today it was.
Bike
  • 47m 6s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike. Struggled up a couple of the hils. Could have pushed a little harder down hills, but could feel the tire wobble and would back off.

Not sure if pushing harder would have impacted my run.

I thought I drank more water than I did. Only drank about 10-12 ounces of water (not to plan) and about 1/4 of my GU Roctane (to plan).

Got out of shoes last half mile. But got passed by about 4-5 people heading to the dismount line. Could have pedaled harder, but was a little tentative. Coasted most of the way. Got to side sadle, and shot right through a gap and passed all of the people who passed me on the way in! Very happy about that.

Again, check tires and wheels to make sure everything is ok.

pedal a bit harder on the way to the dismount.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I had a good transition, but the chick next to me threw her wetsuit right where my bike was supposed to go. Put my bike down on it, and saw it wobble. Picked my bike up, picked up her suit and threw it to the side.

Leave the bike ontop of the wetsuit? But I was afraid my bike was going to fall.
Run
  • 23m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit fast going up the hill out of the park for the first half mile. Slowed up a bit till I realized the turn around was up ahead.

was breathing hard and really pushing my run pace. I turned in to the park and it's all down hill. Actually thought it would be easier. Quads were burning trying to run fast. Saw Tammy and Myles just before the finish line. I wanted to grab him and carry him through the finish. But I totally forgot until after I finished.

Not much. I went up the first hill a bit too fast. But other than that. I felt good on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, got some fruit. Walked around. Stretched a bit.

Went "running" again with Myles on the way to get my stuff out of transition. He was not a happy camper when I went into transition and he couldn't go.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More biking. Especially hills.

Event comments:

Spectators were a little flat today. race volunteers and staff were excellent. Pulled pork was fantastic. One sandwich and one side per plate. It wasn't the buffet that i'm used to but the food was good.

Last updated: 2012-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:35 | 586 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 148/505
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra vortex
Course: point to point swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:06 | 14.7 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Overall: 180/505
Wind: Little
Course: One loop course through farms. some hills. dry roads. some smooth pavement some rough spots.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:13 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 171/505
Course: out and back on the same road the bike segment is on. Seems like there would be more accidents. Bikers coming down next to the runners are flying
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes