General Discussion Race Reports! » New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championship - Run

View Member's Race Log
Tauranga, Tauranga
New Zealand
11C / 52F
Precipitation
Total Time = 15m 47s
Overall Rank = 14/202
Age Group = F Under 19
Age Group Rank = 14/202
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4.20am, threw on some clothes, had two bananas and got into the campervan. I brought my duvet cover and went to sleep int the back. I slept for the whole 4 hours it took to drive to Tauranga while Mum and Dad drove. Woke up and had breakfast as we arrived at the park. The weather was fine, but cold when we arrived. Mum had a manager's meeting where she got all our race numbers and course information. With the map I took a walk to check out the course. I got a bit confused so Mum and I tried a bit later. We asked some volunteers about the course and finally got it sussed. I did a 15 minute gentle jog around the course to get my legs moving and had a banana protein shake. Our team members arrived and so did the rain. They all got changed and warmed up ready for their race. I went to the toilet many times. I watched the finish of the junior girls race and then had lunch. After lunch I got changed and went for a warm-up. I was feeling quite nervous, but nonetheless confident inside I think.
Event warmup:

For 30 minutes I took a gentle jog around a field, did some speedwork, stretching, had some energy gel and then made my way to the starting area.
Run
  • 15m 47s
  • 4 kms
  • 03m 57s  min/km
Comments:

Straight after the starting gun, I didn't run out very stringly and was getting pushed around in the middle of the pack as we made out way up the first hill. After the hill I maganaged to focus and start overtaking people. I reached the top twenty and then the top fifteen. The very steep, muddy hill in the middle of the course was very slippery and I and the runners around me just managed to stay on our feet. I tackled the first vault well, but on the last vault heading into the last 1km, I put two hands on the fence and fell on my kneed. Fortunately I got up fast and recovered without losing my place, too much time or energy. For the last half of the race, I was necka dnneck with two other runners. Down the last hill and into the finisher's shoot, it was a sprint finish. I teid with one of the girls I was battling with for the last race. I also came ahead of the winner of the Auckland Regional Championship.
What would you do differently?:

- Start out more assertively.
- Work the down-hills more-swing arms.
- Tackle the second vault with one hand only.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I was very pooped at the finish, I couldn't stand up without leaning on the pole of the chute. Once I gave my number, I sat on the ground.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Lack of confidence in intial 400m of race.
- Falling in mud after vault.

Last updated: 2006-06-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:47 | 04 kms | 03m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 14/202
Overall: 14/202
Performance: Good
Course: Very muddy, especially on some of the large, steep hills. There were two 65cm high solid fences to jump over around the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-17 3:00 AM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Subject: New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championship

2006-06-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #457327

Subject: RE: New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championship
Nice race Clare! That course was a true cross country so your performance is even more impressive. Looks like you have a bright future ahead of you! Keep up the great work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Zealand Secondary Schools Cross Country Championship Rss Feed