General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kerrville, Texas
United States
High Five Events
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 39s
Overall Rank = 81/268
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/26
Pre-race routine:

Typical 5:30am cheap-o envelope of maple oatmeal, chased by a yogurt and granola bar. Then water and a banana.
Event warmup:

In the very last wave, so just walked, watched and walked some more. Often helps me just to watch where the swimmers are going, how the transition entry is situated, just taking in what others are doing. Some light stretching and then a strip-down so I could get in the water. Never big on wearing myself out in preparation.
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tried a little drafting, but didn't fair well. Water visibility was so bad that I could not see 2 feet in front of me. Could only tell people were ahead of me due to bubbles. Did tail someone for a while, but quickly overtook them. Was somewhat gratifying to catch a wave of reds, then some pinks, and even a green 3 waves ahead.
What would you do differently?:

Attempted more drafting (at risk of sounding weird, my pace makes it difficult to draft).
Tried to keep the head more in the water during breathing.

Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

#23 of 26 in T1. It's one thing to be methodical, it's another to be this slow. I also ate a banana in T1 because I absolutely wanted to get it down before attempting to eat it. While it was a lousy transition, it did help me spot an area for some "easy" improvement. Not at all ready to do the flying leap onto the bike.

Pondering wearing the tri top for swimming, because that beast is always difficult to get on and down the body.

Will need to spend some time practicing the T1 transition.

Consider eating on the bike.

Also lost my water bottle here. Thankfully picked up some Gatorade 3 miles in, but irritating to lose that bottle.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 45s
  • 29 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Great to see a surprise of 17.8mph, which is among my best times. Had a blast heading out: Road condition was very good and the wind was behind us. Passed several folks in earlier waves, which was rather gratifying. But have to maintain focus as I almost spilled trying to figure out the age group of passers.

Spent several of the last miles in the small gear to keep the legs moving, prepped for T2 and the run. Cost me some speed and perhaps some effort, so I want to learn more about this. Slow down in a lower gear, or keep the gas on?

Train more here...still room for improvement.

Learn if I should spin in a high gear on downhills, or if I should enjoy the rest and coast.

Also learn more about rough roads and how to handle, as I have some more in my future.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Glad to have my support crew announce the pavement was slick, so I eased off like a granny dismounting. Found that running with the bike was a nice way to get a little of the brick behind me, as the slow run works to lessen the brick. (13th of 26)

Want to check some laces which will help me slip on the shoes without needing to tie them. Also want to practice this just a bit. I need a plan and a routine, not just a sloppy changing of shoes.
Run
  • 56m 11s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Enjoyed the run, and had a strong start, which felt good in the legs. Reminded myself to ratchet down because I tend to bolt out too fast. Kept pushing through, and had to break down for 2 small walk breaks, both on inclines.

Remind myself of pace. Happy with the pace, and learning how to find speed in tired legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Next question please.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tentative approach. I was learning, and was pleased with this outing.

Event comments:

Great race...highly recommended. Very well organized, and well done. The 2 transition areas took some extra organization, but glad to have this experience.

Good learning race, and I got the confidence I wanted to step into Half Ironman territory. Forward...

Last updated: 2012-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 1094 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/26
Overall: 25/268
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Nice one-lap course with buoys always on the left. Not much, if any, river current. Had a little trouble sighting so I worked harder than I might have needed to to stay on track (somehow I like to veer right, which would have been trouble on this left-turning rectangle).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:37:45 | 29 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/26
Overall: 127/268
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Beautiful course, but over some chip seal that was no fun, especially the 3 miles after the turn from east back to west. Fairly flat, with a few short hills here and there, but no big deal, and certainly flat for the surrounding territories. The final few miles were tricky too with a narrow coned-off lane, but about half the lane was very rough and uneven. Found myself enjoying the "companionship" of other bikers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:11 | 06.4 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/26
Overall: 62/268
Performance: Average
Course: Nice out and back (2 laps). One section off-road (ie, soft under foot) leading to a U-turn left a little mystery on how far it was to the turn around point. Enjoyed passing all the runners face to face. Never more than 3/4 mile away from the finish line, which did a mental trick on the mind, hearing others finish when I'm 6 miles out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-01 10:26 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed