General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kerrville, Texas
United States
High Five Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 23s
Overall Rank = 80/268
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Tried to repeat what I did at the Galveston HIM. Hung out pre-race with Kim and tried to relax. Really helped with the swim. Did it again at Kerrville and it helped again. Had an hour to wait after transition closed before getting into the water. Talked some with others, and stretched. Ended up fully suiting up to stay warm.
Event warmup:

Stretched out to keep the back from getting too tight. Barefoot - 2 transition format so no running. Ate 2 of the small cliff bars. No water so that kind of made em go down hard.
Swim
  • 21m 49s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim training was sporadic through the couple months prior to the race. I only got a solid 2-3 days per week of swimming the 3 weeks prior to the race. My plan was to take it easy on the swim and go at a comfortable pace. Staying calm before the race was key. I was able to do all the above and increase effort in final 300m. Felt the time was good for the preparation and on course effort.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing in the race but make sure I can get the swim training in prior to the race for the full training cycle!
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Had strippers 30 feet from the water. Was able to get unzipped but not get the suit to my waist by the time I got to the strippers. They got the suit off quick but it hung up on the chip on my left ankle. They noticed quickly and got it over. Had a 100m steep uphill run to T1 (separate from T2). All swim gear had to go in bag and did it pretty quick. Was able to get into bike gear quickly and out of transition. Feet were grassy and dirty. Oh well.

Nothing. Went fine. Probably best transition yet, even with having to stick stuff in a bag so the staff could haul it all to T2.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 7s
  • 29 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was a hard effort, not comfortable but not a quad burner except for on the short uphills. On one short steep section where I had to stand up to pedal I got a cramp in my left calf. As my legs fatigued I backed off the effort and dropped speed to keep level of effort constant.

Hmmm, I REALLY liked the ride! It was fun with a hard level of exertion. I was trading places with a couple of other riders throughout most of the course which made it even more fun. I would say back off the level of effort some so I could perform better at the run but I think I would just train more on the bike so I can go just as hard but do better on the run!
Transition 2
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

I could tell I was tired coming into transition. I forgot I was 5 rows over from the end and went up three rows looking for my run bag! Stretched some in transition to try to prevent any possible back issues on the run since it was hurting right up to the day of the race. Had some problems opening run bag to pull out shoes and visor. We had to drop bag the night before and it was raining so we all tied them over the racks to prevent rain from getting inside.

Try to remember where my gear was so I could get to my spot a little quicker. Tie bag different so I can get it open easier. was wishing I had a knife with me.
Run
  • 1h 00m 10s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out having to pee cause I was barefoot waiting to swim and wasn't going into the porta potties so had to go as soon as I left transition onto the run. Started at 8:07s and had to force the pace down at first. Was planning to keep it around 8:30 to 8:45 but was more tired from the bike than I thought I was going to be. Sped up in the last half mile with the last .25 mile being about 8:05. Was REALLY hard to push it down.

Bike more so I can get the run speed where I want it after a hard bike split.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage right after finishing. Seemed to help, especially the lower back! Got some fresh made fajita tacos and a beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was somewhat sporadic, especially the swimming. Had multiple low back injuries in the previous two months. Now working on trying to isolate the problem so I can start ramping up training in the next couple of weeks.

Event comments:

Terrific race, well organized and run. Announcers were great as were the volunteers. Food was very good and had an excellent band at the end!

Last updated: 2012-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:49 | 1000 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 76/268
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes Xterra Vortex 4
Course: Rectangular course in a behind a dam in the river. No current, some chop from other swimmers. Counterclockwise course and keep buoys on the left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:07 | 29 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Overall: 73/268
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: oval course down the east side of the river and back up the west side. 1 loop for the Oly course. Mostly flat but some short steep hills and and a longer hill at the end of the loop. Made for a nice downhill about 2-3 miles out from transition! Road was asphalt and about half smooth and half rough chip seal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:10 | 06.4 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 106/268
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop course over secondary city roads and some cross country on both loops. The road portion was flat except for where it dropped down to the river and crossed it. The XC portion was rolling and off trail. XC was definitely slower than the road portion with ditches and holes - not a groomed surface. Went through a field on the river flood plain and through some woods on the hills. XC part was the most fun!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-04 11:24 PM

Round Rock
Silver member
Subject: Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course

2012-10-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4441658

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course
Wait.  You didn't just pee during the swim?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerrville Triathlon - Quarter Course Rss Feed