United States
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 48s
Overall Rank = 361/400?
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 52/69
Pre-race routine:

I drove down to Pittsburgh from Oil City. I woke up at 5:15, changed a diaper, and then drove. I grabbed a cup of coffee and donut at convenience story (mistake?) and kept moving. I arrived in plenty of time, by about 7:15, checked in, and went back to my van to chill out for a while. I drank a bottle of water (should have drank a second), left one terrible package in a portajohn, and did a little reading.

I walked back over to the start area with about 20 minutes to go before the start. I stretched, and that was about it, until the horn sounded.
Run
  • 35m 48s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 10s  min/km
Comments:

My first mile was best. I ran about 10:33 for the first mile. They didn't have a second mile marker, but the splits went down. I noticed my mouth getting dry in the first mile. By the first water station, I was parched. I think my hydration needs work. I should have had that second bottle of water or my bottle of Gatorade before I started. I didn't know how hot and humid it would be. I did end up with two or three walking stints, but they weren't long. And I finished running. I was not DFL, in either the race or my AG.
What would you do differently?:

Drink, drink, drink beforehand. I think that was the biggest problem for me. If I had been hydrated well, I think maintaining that 10:33 would have been possible, and I am fairly certain I could have done 11:00. This race was good experience for me to see how my body reacts.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around, drank several bottles of water, ate a granola bar, a banana, and some other snacks there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hydration.

Event comments:

The race was organized well. Everything flowed smoothly. I asked a question, and they answered without making me feel stupid.

It is somewhat hard to gauge where I finished with regard to other runners, because they lumped the 5k runners and walkers together. So 597 people finished the 5K, but they didn't break it down as to how. Looking at the times, I would guess that there were 400 runners, and almost 200 walkers. Dividing those two groups up would be nice, but other than that it was fine.

I enjoyed my first race.

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:48 | 05 kms | 07m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 52/69
Overall: 361/400?
Performance: Average
Course: The course was along the Allegheny River in downtown Pittsburgh. The run was very scenic, mostly flat, with a few rises here and there, but gradual ones. We diverted off the trail for a short while, only to loop back to it, so we could return to the start/finish area right near Heinz Field.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 8:38 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: Father's Day 5/10k

2006-06-19 2:49 PM
in reply to: #458500

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Father's Day 5/10k
WAY TO GO! Good job on your first 5K. WHOOHOO! You finished!
2006-06-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: #458500

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL
Subject: RE: Father's Day 5/10k
Thanks for sharing your first race report, hope to have a lot more in the future, well what is your next race??? Well happy training and God's Speed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Father's Day 5/10k Rss Feed