Dallas, Texas
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 43m 1s
Overall Rank = 142/288
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 13/21
Pre-race routine:

Kind of late writing this report, so don't remember everything. But what I do remember was that the weather forecast was bad. As in significant potential for large hail and tornadoes. So I spent quite a bit of time obesessing over that. Was not sure until hearing from the RD whether I would run this or not. Felt reassured after the pre-race talk, so decided to go for it.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 4h 43m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Kind of warm at the beginning, then the front moved in and we got plenty wet and it cooled off a lot. Felt good in the early stages, and just took it easy. Due to sweating and the rain, my insulin infusion site pulled out. It was early enough in the race, that I really didn't want to run with no insulin on board (would mean only taking in water...no carbs) the rest of the way, and hoping my blood sugar didn't climb too much. So borrowed a cell phone, and called my hubby and friend to meet me at the next mile marker with the spare vial of insulin & syringe I stashed in my bag. They did, and off I went again...trying to decide how much/when to bolus. Finally made a decision. My mental focus was a bit lost at that point, and dreams of meeting my not so lofty pace goals faded into the back of my mind in favor of just finishing. I was still doing reasonably well at mile 20, and then the IT band started to flare up a bit. Did not get better, so I took a lot of walk breaks in the final miles, especially on the downhills. Actually felt better to run up hill. Started to have some cramping as well, but never went into full seized up mode. My friend joined me with 2 miles left to go, and ran in with me. So a mixed bag with a happy ending...I FINISHED MY FIRST MARATHON!!!
What would you do differently?:

Training was a bit rushed for this. I fell into deciding to do it when my training for a couple of halfs had gone well. A little longer ramp up with a proper training plan I hope will help me next time. Also will wear TWO infusion sites next time so I won't have another insulin crisis out on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged Kerry. Then chatted w/ an old friend from church who did her first sub 5 hour marathon. Changed infusion site. Ate a little. Hobbled back to the car. Very grateful that Kerry & Becky came and helped me out on the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rushed training, insulin pump issue, IT band, and loss of mental focus.

Event comments:

Well run race, and felt like the RD did all he could given the weather situation. Price is not too outlandish, and nice to have an indoor place to gather.

Last updated: 2012-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:43:01 | 26.2 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 142/288
Performance: Average
See Log
Course: Nice run through the neighborhoods of Dallas. Not too hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes