Ohio Canal Corridor
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 10s
Overall Rank = 16/317
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, had three cups of coffee and a banana and headed out the door at 6:30. Got to the race site at 7:00am.
Event warmup:

Hit the port-o-potty and jogged around a little, then stood around chatting with a coworker and some friends. It was a COLD morning, and it never really got any warmer as the morning went on.
Run
  • 45m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

A really great run for me! A 10k PR and 1st in AG.
Overall standings haven't been posted, yet, but I believe that I was also a Top 20 finisher. Hard to be unhappy with that in any way.
I managed to maintain a high cadence (90-93) for almost all of the race which kept effort low and pace high.... it really worked well for me.

I didn't going out with any set plan for pace... I just started running and once I worked through the logjam at the start, I just settled into a pace that felt good. I checked my watch and was surprised to see the pace in the low 7's and the heartrate in a good spot.... so, I just tried to keep the cadence at 90 and cruise. Mile 5 got a little tough, fatigue was hitting me and my form and cadence fell off a bit, but I was able to get refocused and dial it back up. Once I hit the mile 5 marker, I just started to focus on opening the stride a little, and pushing myself. The hip abductors were getting really tired, I just pushed through it and kept going.

I was pleasantly surprised to see my splits when I finished. I knew I had picked it up a bit toward the end, but I had no idea I had picked it up to the point I did.

It was really great to see what I can do, and I'm looking forward to ratcheting up the training and seeing how fast I can get myself to go.

My only other non-training run 10k was the run for Deer Creek OLY, which I did in 1:01:50, so this was a PR by a margin of 16:40.
On top of that, my pace in this race was 30 seconds per mile faster than my race a month ago where I set my current 5k PR (23:03). Heck of an improvement in 30 days.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing; perhaps start Muskrat's 30 in 30 challenge sooner?
There is no doubt in my mind that it is what enabled me to have this performance today.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana and drank several cups of Gatorade, walked around a lot and then just waited for friends to finish their race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but me.... I ran this as well as I could have, I think. There just wasn't much left to give. Continuing to build my base as well as starting to do some speed/VO2 work will improve me over the next few months.

Event comments:

A really good event that is well run. The course is just absolutely beautiful - totally scenic.

Last updated: 2012-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:10 | 06.21 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 16/317
Performance: Good
Hmmm.... shouldn't race reports have an "Import from Garmin" button? 07m 22s / 07m 21s / 07m 10s / 07m 14s / 07m 26s / 07m 07s / 06m 37s /
Course: Flat run from Brandywine Ski Area, down the Ohio TowPath and back to Boston Mills Ski Area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes