General Discussion Race Reports! » Investors Group Thanksgiving Memory Walk and Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Investors Group Thanksgiving Memory Walk and Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 19s
Overall Rank = 292/378
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 33/36
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I completed our first triathlon (sprint distance) in September -- wanted to do one more event before winter hits. This was our first "just running" event -- 10K felt like a good distance as I've just signed up for an Olympic distance in the spring (ack!) so wanted to start getting my head wrapped around running for a solid hour.

Woke up at 7am, ate peanut butter toast, OJ and a banana. Drove downtown, arrived at 9:30am for a 10am start.
Event warmup:

Was a little bit chilly in the morning! Didn't do much to warm up, other than participating in the group warm-up that the event organizers put on.

Event included 10K run, 5K run and 5K walk -- the walkers had lots of dogs, strollers, etc. but 10K runners went off first.
Run
  • 1h 05m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Easy pace throughout. Ran with my wife for the first ~3km, then she slowed down to walk for a bit and encouraged me to keep running.

Made it nearly to the 6km mark before taking the first walk break. Took ~4-5 walking breaks on the return trip (either through water stations or uphills) -- kept them to no more than 60 seconds at a time.

Last ~500m was tough as we caught up to the 5K walkers -- had to dodge a lot of people!!
What would you do differently?:

Dealt better with passing people -- felt like I had to sprint past them, rather than overtaking them at an easy pace.

Should have trained more to get comfortable with the distance -- never did a 10K run in training (though I did do a 10K run/walk). Did my first triathlon in September and have not been as diligent in training since then -- days are getting shorter so harder to find a good time to go. We just bought a treadmill so that should be a decent substitute during the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a bottle of water, walked a little bit and waited to cheer my wife through to the finish.

Event comments:

Great event. Has been organized for 22 years in a row, so they know what they're doing.

Last updated: 2012-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:05:19 | 10 kms | 06m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 33/36
Overall: 292/378
Performance: Average
Mid-point split: 32:43 --> very consistent on front and back portions
Course: Starting from Eau Claire Market -- along the Bow River run/bike trail (south side) -- out and back. Mostly flat, with a few short up-and-downs for underpasses.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-07 4:30 PM

User image

Calgary, AB
Subject: Investors Group Thanksgiving Memory Walk and Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Investors Group Thanksgiving Memory Walk and Run Rss Feed