United States
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 8s
Overall Rank = 105/631
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/36
Pre-race routine:

I was really looking forward to this race. It had been 4 months since my last Southern Arizona Roadrunners (SAR) race, which felt like an eternity. I was looking forward to seeing my friends and seeing what I could do at this distance. I set my PR last year at this race with a 38:34. I know I am faster this year, but I training is mostly marathon focused at the moment, and this race capped off a couple of tough training weeks. I realize that for optimum marathon training I should have skipped it, but I just love to race.

I was in bed by 10 the night before and set the alarm for 6. I think I have found the secret to being able to get to bed earlier: train harder and get up early consistently (duh!). Anyhow, it's something that I haven’t been able to do for years. After waking up, I had a Cafe Latte Muscle Milk light (caffeinated) and a cherry chocolate chip Kashi granola bar. I was hoping that having something with more caffeine that my usual black tea would get the systems moving. It worked pretty well. After picking up my number, I headed to the port-a-potties and was able to get in with minimal wait. Dropped my stuff back at the car and had a Chocolate Cherry Clif shot.

Event warmup:

I ran a few strides and it was almost time for the race. The U of A band played an amazing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. The wheelchair races were started first, and then the 8K folks lined up.

Figuring out where to position myself is always interesting. I have gotten faster recently, and have moved myself closer to the front. I don't want to start too far up for my ability, but on the other hand, I hate having to weave through other runners. There are also always some folks who line up toward the front who really should start farther back. SAR is now using chip timing for their races, so it's a little less of an issue. There was a 4-second difference between my gun and chip time.

Run
  • 36m 8s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

After the start, I had to do a little weaving, but it wasn't bad. The first 200 - 800 meters felt hard, and I worried that I was still really fatigued. I had felt pretty tired during my bike and swim sessions the day before. I had run an absolutely awful 5K in the spring where I just simply felt dead-legged, and I hoped this wouldn't be a repeat performance. My body eventually started to feel good I felt like I was cruising along. It was a cool morning, which was like a reward for making it through the brutal summer.

Around mile 1, I passed a girl who said, "Hi, Michelle." I didn't recognize her at first, but she was one of the other Body Pump instructors at one of the gyms I teach at. In my defense, she was wearing really large sunglasses. I had last raced against her a year and a half ago, and she beat me that time. She mentioned that she hadn't been training, and then she drifted back. We are both planning on doing the Tucson Marathon in two months, so we'll see how that plays out.

The course winds through the University and surrounding streets and is relatively flat. There are a few underpasses to make it interesting. A few of my friends who weren't racing were cheering, which is always nice. One was taking pictures, so I tried to smile.

My pace lagged a little in the fourth mile, but I was able to pick it up again in the last mile. Because of construction on the campus, they had modified the end slightly. I started my final kick based on where the old finish line would have been, but we had to run on the other side of the mall past the start line, do a hair-pin turn and then run to the finish. It added about 200 - 300 meters to what I thought I had left, which feels like a big deal at the end of a race. I felt like crap, but for the last 100 meters, my body sped up almost in spite of itself. I was a little disappointed that I didn't break 36, but I think it was a strong race for where I was in my training cycle.

What would you do differently?:

Double-check the course map.
Post race
Warm down:

I let the blecky feeling subside, and ran an easy 3 to cool down, had my Luna Bar, and checked out the food. There wasn't a lot left, but I grabbed an orange and half a bagel. I reconnected with some friends, which is always one the best parts of racing.

The top woman in my age group was third overall, so she was pulled out and I took the third in the age group. I won a free entry for next year.

This race usually attracts some fast folks. The overall man (24:34, 4:57/mile) and woman (27:28, 5:31/mile) came down with a group from Flagstaff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having a tired body going in, but I knew that. All in all, I think I ran pretty evenly and finished hard, so I'm happy.

Event comments:

This race helps raise money for wheelchair athletes, which is neat. There was a team called "Jogging for Jason" who were there to support a young man who had been a promising tennis player and had suffered a spinal cord injury and was now learning to play tennis in a wheelchair. It was touching to see him and the 100+ people who came out to support him.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:08 | 04.97 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/36
Overall: 105/631
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231113664 Once again, the HRM is erratic.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-09 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Jim Click’s Run n’ Roll

2012-10-09 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4446897

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Jim Click’s Run n’ Roll

I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with doing some racing during marathon training!

Nice job!

2012-10-09 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4447180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Jim Click’s Run n’ Roll
Thanks, Adrienne. I appreciate that because you're obviously doing something right Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jim Click’s Run n’ Roll Rss Feed