General Discussion Race Reports! » Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Port Richey, Florida
United States
Rotary Club of Seven Springs
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 59s
Overall Rank = 15/130
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:15. Stayed at the host hotel, but it was still about 20 minutes away from the race. Ate 2 small bowls of cereal, drank some water and coffee and sipped on half a dose of the NOS Blast. Poured the other half in my water bottle to drink on the bike.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. Strectehd a bit. Didn;t really have an opportunity to jog. Did ride the bike from the parking lot to transition.
Swim
  • 29m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim at all. Kept the pace and effort in check. Didn't get tired. Navigated OK. Not perfect but much better than my last few races. As more and more swimmers got in the water with the TT start of the International Race and then the sprint race, by the time we got on the 2nd loop, the water got a little choppy, but no too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a bit harder. But this was only my 2nd race at this distance, so I wasn't sure about pacing. I decided on a conservative pace to make sure I didn;t kill the rest of my race.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Fastest T1 of the race. What can I say. Still need to practice jumping on the bike while traveling a bit faster.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 5s
  • 22.99 miles
  • 22.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Same as the swim, I wasn't sure exactly how hard to take this ride and still have enough left for a solid run. I decided to trust my fitness and also know that the last minute or so, I would dial it back a little and spin into T2. I know in training that no matter how hard I have done on some of my brick rides, as long as I give myself a few minutes before dismounting to spin the legs out, I should be OK for the run. So, I went pretty hard and trusted that I would be OK.

Nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

As I dismounted my shoe hit the ground and made the back of my bike flip up into the air and spin the shoe around which knocked off the chain. Thank Goodness the ride was over!
Run
  • 41m 44s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out comfortably hard and just trusted my fitness to hold on. I paced this run perfectly. I gave it pretty much all I had. Not sure I could have kept going at that pace for much longer. Lets just say I was glad to see the finish line:)

Nada
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim.

Event comments:

Great race! Florida USAT Club Championship. Our club was 2nd in Division 3. We had the 2nd and 3rd overall female (my wife:)) and the 3rd overall male. Also, had a 1st place AG, 2nd place age group and a 3rd place age group. And a few 4th, 5th and 6th place finishes. Not bad for only having 10 representing. Nice venue., organized race, good post race. They also had a drawing for a new road bike (Specialized, I think)

Last updated: 2012-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 0/130
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: 2 Loops in a clockwise diamond shape.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:05 | 22.99 miles | 22.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 0/130
HR = 157
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and fast. 1st part is on nice closed to traffic local road, then you go onto a trail where you go through a nature preserve, then onto the Suncoast Parkway Trail, then back on SR 54 which isn;t too bad, especially with a lane closed for the race. Overall, a very nice course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:44 | 06.2 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 14/130
Course: Mostly on a multi use trail that was kept closed for the race. Last mile takes you onto some residential roads to the finish. Nice route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-15 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Subject: Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longleaf Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed