United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 306/650
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 46/65
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 and had a multi-grain english muffin with some peanut butter and a glass of water., drove on to the race (45 minutes) and checked in and set up transition and helped Mike get his area all set up too.
Event warmup:

Walked the half mile up the beach to the swim start and unfortunately got there just as the first wave was starting. Who ever heard of the 35-39ers being in the first wave? I was still explaining stuff to Mike and was patiently waiting for them to announce my group wouold start when I noticed that there were no green caps around
Swim
  • 16m 2s
  • 825 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim for me. I started 10 minutes behind my group and started with another age group, so that is reflected in my adjusted ranking. I kept a steady pace and faught through the wall and just kept going. Very smooth strokes, so I never overdid it and kept a great energy level the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

Anti-fog for my goggles so I could sight better. I didn't get as far off cours as usual, but probably could have cut 30 seconds to a minute by staying in better line.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Decent transition time, but I am still not ready to jump on my bike and then put my shoes on. I will have to learn that one of these days. Other than that I was pretty speedy. I took a Gu at T1 and probably should have just put an extra one in my bento box and taken it as soon as I got biking instead of taking the couple of seconds to eat it at T1

Gonna have to learn to do the shoes while riding thing.
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride, broke 22 mph and passed quite a few people, but for as fast s I was going, I was suprised to see my rank this low in the bike. Can't really complain though, it was still my fastest ride. I think that this race draws a lot more bikers than other sprint races.

I could have pushed a little bit harder, maybe taken a minute or two off, but much more than that and I would have risked really losing it on the run
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, again I can't complain. I think that I should be able to get it under a minute though. This race has a short transition area, so a faster T2 is definately possible

I got one foot out of the shoes before T2, but not the other. Next time, I will get both shoes out and save 5-10 seconds
Run
  • 29m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. Better than I expected considering how I have been running lately. Never got a good speed going, but I never dropped to a really slow run either.

Not sure. If I started picking up the pace early, I don't think I would have finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

walked back up the course and saw Jenee and ran her back to the finish line. Walked back and saw Mike finish. Drank beers and got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Giving the rest of the field a ten minute head start didn't help. Apart form that, it was probably my best race so far. This one or this year's St Anthony's.

Event comments:

It seemed a little off this year. Like I said, they had all racers under 39 start in wave 1. That is too many for a large race. I asked about the starting time difference at the start of the race and at the end but they said that they couldn't change it because it was USAT rules. However, they changed the winner's age group because he did not know about the new birthday rule. That is also a USAT rule, if they could change it for him, they could have changed it for me. I wasn't going to medal, I just wanted my time reported correctly. I was dissapointed in their decision, but I know that I hit my own PR, so that is enough for me.

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:02 | 825 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/65
Overall: 0/650
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Beach start , out to buoys and down current to the finish, short run to T1
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:08 | 13.5 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/65
Performance:
Average HR: 170 Max HR: 183
Wind: Little
Course: The beginning has a bunch of speed bumps and these really annoying mini bumps that rattle the hell out of you. After tht up and over a drawbridge and then a relatively flat out and back. On the return trip across the bridge, you have to dismount your bike and run it across the drawspan...very annoying. but overall, a good, fast course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:01 | 03.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/65
Avg HR: 180 Max HR: 189
Course: out along Gulf Blvd on pavement, turn to the beach at the halfway point and run back on the beach. The trip through the soft sand on the way to the hard pack seems like forever
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 9:08 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida
Subject: Madeira Beach Triathlon

2006-06-20 8:27 AM
in reply to: #459655

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Madeira Beach Triathlon
Congrats on having such a great race! You are right..that is a very competitive race. Wnaa do Crystal Rive on July 2?
2006-06-20 8:30 AM
in reply to: #459655

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Madeira Beach Triathlon

Great race!  You had a great swim, wasn't that water awesome???  I was only 30 seconds behind ya out of the water...it was an awesome bike course too. 

How awful was that sand!!  Definitely hit Crystal River on July 2nd...fun and flat!  A bunch of us are doing that one!

Congrats on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madeira Beach Triathlon Rss Feed