Continental Event and Sports Management Group
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 26s
Overall Rank = 956/2252
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 79/125
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm for 4:45 am so I could get my body moving. Drank a little caffeine to start the day. My wife and daughters were troopers getting up early in order to drop me off at the starting line. We were out the door by 5:35 am, arriving on site just before 6:00 am.
Event warmup:

Went straight to the bathroom when I arrived before the lines got long. Good decision as it was not long before the lines were 20-30 deep. Walked around the parking lot at Coastal Grand Mall and stretched a lot. The temps were cool (in the low 50's), so moving helped with staying warm. While walking and stretching sipped on a G2. At 15 minutes before the start, took a Gatorade Perform. I wanted to make sure I was properly hydrated.
Run
  • 2h 08m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This race fit right into my training plan for the Disney Marathon in January, so I was looking forward to seeing what I could do. I have been sticking with my training leading into this race and feeling good about where I was from an endurance standpoint. Normally within the first 1/4-1/2 mile I can tell what kind of a day it will be. Right from the start, I felt really good. The only issue was that my feet were sore in the first mile. I was not sure why but figured it was because of the cold. Right past mile 1, I warmed up and the soreness in my feet went away. At about 1.5 miles in there were some bathrooms on the other side of the course. I had to go at this point and since there was no line, I decided to go ahead and stop. Good thing because when we came by them around mile 3, lines were already formed. My plan for nutrition was to take 3 Powerbar Gels at miles 4, 8 and 11. The plan was to take water at the first 2-3 stations and then switch to Gatorade for the remaining stations. This plan worked well as I felt strong throughout the entire distance. This was the first half marathon that I ran for the entire distance with no walk breaks. I got into a rhythm and stayed there all day. As the miles ticked off, I constantly checked my Garmin to keep tabs on my HR and pace. I wanted to keep it as low as possible and felt I did a fairly decent job of it. I also kept doing the math on what my projected finishing time would be. I had a goal in mind to set a new PR. My previous best was 2:17:08 and I was hoping to go at least a 2:15. I knew as I hit halfway that a 2:15 was in reach and possibly a sub-2:10 if I kept my pace. As I was approaching the finish line I could see the clock was under 2:10 and I crossed the line with a 2:08:26. New PR!
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on keeping my HR low.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching.

Event comments:

This is a great event! Well run with plenty of volunteers and awesome crowd support. You can't beat the surfboard finisher medal.

Last updated: 2012-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/125
Overall: 956/2252
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course that starts at Coastal Grand Mall, works its way around Broadway at the Beach at the halfway point, by Myrtle Beach High School before the final miles on Ocean Drive and the finish on the boardwalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes