Team Ortho Foundation
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 12s
Overall Rank = 1376/6019
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 173/427
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Mpls the night before. Got up, ate a clif bar and drank some gatorade. Stopped at the Caribou in the new Lunds for a coffee drink, then drove over to the parking in St. Paul. Being our 2nd year doing this race I knew there were many other ramps available than the one recommended by the race website, so we avoided a long line of traffic on the highway by going an extra exit down, then drove right in without hardly any wait to a surface parking lot across the street from the crowded ramp. Then we sat and enjoyed our coffee drinks in the warm car. Headed over to the race site about 15 minutes prior, hit the john then up to the start line.
Event warmup:

Nothing really except a brisk walk to the start. It was quite cold, another one of those mornings that makes me question why I do these fall, cold weather races.
Run
  • 1h 51m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Another great run, another PR! I wasn't really sure what would happen this race, I ran another half last weekend, a very tough hilly course for a PR at 1:56ish. Then this was my peak training week for IM AZ, so I hit it hard all week with alot of time on the bike and a hard day on Friday. I knew this was a somewhat easy course and perfect for a PR, so I went out with the idea of attempting to hit about 1:55, but realizing my legs were tired.
I started out in between the 1:55 and 2:00 pacer planning on starting slow then working my splits down as I went. So I let the 1:55 pacer gain some ground on me in the first few miles as I got my legs going, then steadily worked on gaining back time and passing them. In reality I ended up passing them around mile 5 or 6 then basically just tried to hold on for the rest of the race. I knew the hills were coming after mile 10, the same ones that destroyed me last year, so I just focused on being ready for them. All the while playing the "what if" math game in my head of where I was, what pace I needed to maintain etc. I hit the hills at mile 10 and made it through without any terrible time drops, maybe lost about 15 seconds in one of my mile splits, then after that it was an all out battle with my legs to the finish. At one point I realized if I could run 2.1 more miles at 8:00 I would break 1:50, then I quickly realized that simply was not going to happen! I ran strong to the finish and felt that I really gave it my all in the race. After last week's race, I felt that I could have pushed harder. That was not the case yesterday, I feel like I was right on the edge of falling into a hard bonk.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was the walk back to the parking area. It was cold and my post-race chills were setting in fast. I just needed to get the heck out of there and into a warm car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold weather, tired legs from a hard week of training. One of these days I'm going to have the time to actually train for a half, instead of just doing them in the middle of training for something else, and I'll even do a proper taper, then see what happens.

Event comments:

Team Ortho does a great job putting on a race, they've been doing this one for several years and they have it all worked out. I seem to remember more water stations in previous years, perhaps with the cold weather they cut back on them, I'm not sure. Free beer and post race party is great, I just never stick around for it. I'll certainly be back and continue to do their races.

Last updated: 2012-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 173/427
Overall: 1376/6019
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/237636245 9:05, 8:50, 8:40, 8:21, 8:20, 8:24, 8:15, 8:19, 8:27, 8:16, 8:16, 8:32, 8:23, 7:22
Course: Point to Point, Cathedral in St. Paul, down Summit to river road, ending back in St. Paul near Science Museum. Mostly downhill until mile 10 with several short uphills until the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-28 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Monster Dash Half Marathon

2012-10-28 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4472344

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Monster Dash Half Marathon
Great PR smash Andy. One of these days we will have to meet up either before or after a race. We've done two races together so far and have yet to meet up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed