St. Jude's Childrens Hospital
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 33s
Overall Rank = 1973/3660
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 250/394
Pre-race routine:

Sipped Gatorade with gatorlytes, power bar, and banana. Walked to the start which is a nice way shake out the nerves.
Event warmup:

Walked to start 1/4 mi, waited in the portahopper line, stretched lightly. The race started a few min late.
Run
  • 2h 15m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The run start had a good supply of portahoppers which is good logistically. The start was a bit disorganzied as there were no pace signs, age groups, or other common ways to separate runners. It began as a mass start with a fairly steep beginning off the muni-peer. Good run to mi 11 and then lacked motivation without anyone at the finish as I treated this as a training run.
What would you do differently?:

Find someone to run with to keep it interesting. I also had what I thought was a pebble on the sole of my shoe that was clicking on the hard surfaces. Upon getting back to my room and taking off my shoes I found a boulder had been lodged in the heel of my shoe. I certain this added an oz or two and was likely the reason my feet were a bit sore from mi 11 to the finish. In hindsight I should have stopped and checked it...lesson learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, muscle mike, and walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Treated it as a training run so the race motivation was lacking. I get easily bored with running and not having the swim/bike was definitely noticed in my motivation.

Event comments:

Race was enhanced by beautiful fall SF weather. It was 59 at race start and warmed to 75. Race was organized, good amount of aide stations and volunteers. The start could use a few pace signs to allow runners to self seed themselves to avoid the mad dash and jostling at the beginning...felt like a mass swim start.

Last updated: 2012-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/394
Overall: 0/3660
Performance: Average
Race was slower than anticipated. My pace is typically 8:30 - 9:30 on varied terrain but between navigating other runners and the hills it pushed me well beyond my normal pace.
Course: Uphill out of start .25 mi, flat from .5 to mi 3, uphill to 4 with an aide station near the top. Next leg was across Golden Gate Bridge, which by the way is not flat...it's arched and though I've driven it a million times it never occurred to me that it was as arched as it is at mi 6 and 9. On the north side of the bridge there is a severe gravel downhill for .5 mi and then uphill .5 to the other side with an aide station at the top. About 90% of the runners at my pace walked up the hill and I rarely walk. I used this opportunity to take in a gel/chomps. The run back across bridge was almost identical but feels more downhill and perhaps is slightly. Upon exiting the bridge another downhill awaits to water level where there is poor pavement but very scenic along the water edge for about a mi. The run then crosses Chrissy field on a solid but still gravel trail transitioning to a sidewalk uphill through mi 12-13. The last .5 mi is downhill and then flat to the finish....The whole course is more hilly than expected and more gravel. I would definitely recommend a slightly more structured shoe. I wore my race shoes but would likely go with my stability training shoe for more stability and cushioning support next time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-11-05 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Subject: US Half Marathon

2012-11-05 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4484351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: US Half Marathon
Your report isn't giving me much to work with, Captain Smile Well, congrats on getting out there and doing it.
2012-11-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4484351

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Subject: RE: US Half Marathon
Sorry, typed the first draft on the iPad....now that I know someone is looking at the US Half I'll fill it in...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » US Half Marathon Rss Feed