General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Over: Season 1, Episode 1 The Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 2:28 PM

User image

Subject: Starting Over: Season 1, Episode 1 The Swim

Hey all,

I have a serious desire to improve on my swim efficency and feel that starting over is the best place to begin. And by starting over I mean just that; day 1 type training with progressing drills (only) to get my body balanced, entry and catch improved, breathing bilat comfortably, and feel the water. But.....I need swimming advice of where to start b/c I am seriously about to just go the pool and continue practicing laying prone in the water until I can raise my legs and hips to the surface before I even think about progressing to any other drills.

So let me give you a little background on myself and then get into where I want to be. Once upon a time 2 years ago I started competing in tri's; since then I have competed in 2 Sprints, 2 Oly, and 2 HIM and my swim times are consistantly around 1:45/ 100m. I breath primarily on the right side, use a two beat kick, and have access to two Masters Groups. When I go to the swim groups have asked questions on particular drills, but still don't really understand what the drill is for or what I am supposed to be working on/ feeling for. So typically I went through the motions, swim about 3500 y per class, but still often felt like I was fighting the water. I did have a few moments when I was flowing with the water, but I couldn't tell you what I did to get there but I knew I felt relaxed and swam faster with less strokes. Cliff Notes: So basically, when I had the desire to compete in tris I joined the groups, jumped in the water, got a little direction, was happy to put up some weekly yardage, but still feel that I am off course with my swimming technique.

I remember in the swim leg of Eagleman this year I was passed by a guy two heats behind me during the swim. All I could do was watch as he glided by and he was so flipping smooth...beautiful and rhythmic I tell you. Thats what I want and thats where I want to be eventually, but where do I start? If I were to do just drills, beginning = floating and end = full strokes w/ repeatable laps; Do I really just work on body balance and keeping my hips/legs up, then incorporate body roll, then add more and more drills?

I don't even know if I can call this "a path to follow", but if I am on the right path or a semi right path to learning how to swim again, what drills do I start with first and which ones do I add there-after? I have no deadline and I'm not worried about making this a winter project b/c I have not even signed up for any races next year, I just want to get this right so that swimming becomes more enjoyable. If anyone can provide a progressing list of drills to do that will get me from A-Z I would appreciate it. Also, I would love some description of the drill and why it's done. Even if it's a list of 20 drills, I'll start at 1 and work my way through.

Thanks for reading my post and helping me start over!

D.

2012-11-06 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4486545

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Starting Over: Season 1, Episode 1 The Swim

I would be interested in hearing the replies, but you get NO SYMPATHY from me...my swim times are more like 2:40/100m...

Sigh.

2012-11-06 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark

Honestly it seems to me that a coach would be your best bet. If you've done two HIM's then you're obviously capable of swimming. I made a thread some weeks ago about swimming and that was because I could barely swim 25meter. That's when you need help! Today I swam my first 1k, so luckily improvements happen fast, but my technique is still bad. I'll use a trainer so he can tell me exactly how I can improve, and I suggest you do the same.

I predict the next posters will suggest filming yourself so they can analyze you, so I really don't think any one drill can help you; it depends exactly on what you're doing right now.

Sadly swimming is not as simple as simply "swim more!" like cycling and running...

2012-11-06 10:15 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Coach, Video, and the program in my sig line (I get nothing financially if you purchase anything from TI)
2012-11-06 10:19 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Sea Pickle - 2012-11-06 1:28 PM
But.....I need swimming advice of where to start b/c I am seriously about to just go the pool and continue practicing laying prone in the water until I can raise my legs and hips to the surface before I even think about progressing to any other drills.

This may or may not help depending on your body type. what you need to do is work with support that the water provides and not try to lift up your head or legs against them using energy and disengaging yourself from being able to work as part of the water.

If you are trying to 'raise hips & legs' while swimming this could be part of your problem and you may be swimming "U-shaped" with head & feet up and sagged in the middle. Just a crazy guess. Without seeing you swim it's ahrd to say. 1:45/100 is nothing to feel ashamed about. That's about where I was for my 100 PR, let alone race pace when I started the TI pathway.
2012-11-07 6:39 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I just started swimming 9 weeks ago and I went from not being able to swim to doing a 500 @1:45/100y without pushing too too hard. I do feel a bit stuck now though. I have been spending A LOT of time in the water and did a two month long group class (taught me the basics) but now I'm not sure what I should focus on.

There's a triathlon club meeting in my city tonight. I may be seen walking around getting swim coach suggestions.

2012-11-07 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Same situation here.  All I did at my last swim session was concentrate on keeping my hips up.  First I did the float drill and then worked on keeping my head down, engage back and thigh muscles.  I've gotten to where I feel much higher in the water when I sprint but I still sink over time.  Don't give up!  (That's for all of us.)
2012-11-07 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4487510

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
blynott - 2012-11-07 6:20 AM

Same situation here.  All I did at my last swim session was concentrate on keeping my hips up.  First I did the float drill and then worked on keeping my head down, engage back and thigh muscles.  I've gotten to where I feel much higher in the water when I sprint but I still sink over time.  Don't give up!  (That's for all of us.)

Focus on posture from crown of head through heels, earlier entry and steeper entry into the water. A long entry reaching over hte water will cause a downward force on the water in front of your lungs, cuasing legs & hips to sink OR increasing effort to keep them raised. While shorter, earlier entry before extending at an angle may feel foreign or counter intuitive, it will ease the effort needed to remain balanced while swimmming...which is a huge energy savings because it reduces drag.
2012-11-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4487476

Veteran
Tennessee

bigmike3541 - 2012-11-07 6:39 AM I'm kind of in the same boat. I just started swimming 9 weeks ago and I went from not being able to swim to doing a 500 @1:45/100y without pushing too too hard. I do feel a bit stuck now though. I have been spending A LOT of time in the water and did a two month long group class (taught me the basics) but now I'm not sure what I should focus on.

There's a triathlon club meeting in my city tonight. I may be seen walking around getting swim coach suggestions.

You suck!! Just kidding. That is pretty awesome for just 9 weeks.

2012-11-07 11:49 AM

Expert
Dr. Bear is right again. Listen up.
2012-11-07 1:18 PM

User image

I will try to post a a few videos today, I noticed some areas of needed improvement with my balance and stroke, but I will let those more experienced than I critique the videos.

Edited by Sea Pickle 2012-11-07 1:24 PM

2012-11-07 2:19 PM

With your experience and current pacing. . . starting over seems like an overreaction.  You've been around the block. . . sounds like you want a third party perspective that you can only get in person.  Hire a coach.

What's your weekly volume look like? 

2012-11-07 3:17 PM

User image

Here are a few videos of me swimming and showing a few of the drills I plan on using for balance. Also, I am trying to kick a little more too. This pool is 20m and b/c of convenience I will probably do most swims here until next summer. I anticipate my weekly yardage to be 6k, but cannot say for sure b/c I don't log any of my training (I know I know).

Thanks for any feedback you can provide and for helping me!

D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQjuKTv3LE&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MVIPpPuVs&feature=youtu.be

2012-11-07 4:00 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Really nice stroke, especially seen in the 2nd video. YOu have a good feel for the water in terms of not fighting it or struggling with it.

A few comments from the peanut gallery:

Singe arm lead rotation drill:
- you are kcikign on your side with shoulders stacked...this is OK for learning front to back balance but does not help you feel that balance in a freestyle context due to over rotation. Do the same drill with your top shoulder barely clearing the water, top buttock kissing the surface and belly button rotated to the side just 30-45 degrees rather than 90.

Catch up Drill
- Stop it.
I don't think that front quadrant is an issue for you which is what catch up attempts to imprint. IN this video there are 2 problems it's causing preventing you from that "next step" in freestyle. The first is pausing flat and losing momentum from the entering arm helping create body rotation and propulsion from the opposite arm Each time you touch hands, you're forced to resume creating rotation with muscular force rather than gravity.

Thing #2 on that drill is it brings both hands together in the middle creating and reinforcing crossover.
Just get ride of that drill entirely, and instead if you want to replace it, look at the TI drill Swing, Swing Skate & Swing Switch

Whole stroke Swim
-Looks really nice, honestly, The Number one thing that will help advance your swimming right now is creating a smoother more balanced recovery, rather than having the arm shoot up towards the ceiling. The best I can do to explain this is just show you a video...this is me. I'm not saying I"m the perfect model, but just compare your arm recoveyr with my arm recovery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlJXsEwZNs&feature=g-upl

Combining a smoother recovery with reducing crossover and using the weight shift of your recovery arm initiating and aiding body rotation, you'll add a lot of forward movement at much less effort.

More minor things depending on your perspective:

Your kick is "busy". It moves you forward, but in the side balance drill you are doing, look at how the kick causes the upper body to wiggle side to side with every kick. This happens in whole stroke as well. Streamline and quiet yoru kick as much as possible and you'll be shocked at how getting the legs otu of the way helps you move faster.

Incorporating a 2 beat kick (then if you want a 6 beat) will really bring the whole thing together.

Great job, thanks for posting video.

2012-11-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4488657

User image

Suzanne,

Thanks for the reply! I will be focusing on each of your recommendations and try to tie it all together, in addition to reading the TI book cover to cover. After watching the videos I realized my stroke rate isn't as high as it feels, but I will keep it there for now. I love the idea of being faster/ relaxed from increasing stroke length by effecient body improvements rather than increasing stroke rate.

I have not gotten far in the book yet; but I have a question about breathing. In your opnion, is it easier to have a balanced stroke from bilateral breathing or balance drills?

Thanks again,

D.

2012-11-08 10:14 PM

I don't see any glaring issues with your stroke, seems fine.  I'd forget about the drills except for a few kicks sets here and there.  If you want to improve from 1:45, swim more volume.   6k/week is kinda low.  Work up to two months of 10k/week and see where you stand.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Over: Season 1, Episode 1 The Swim Rss Feed