General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Business travel and training help/tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-12 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4494065

Expert
Subject: RE: Business travel and training help/tips

mrbeachbum2 - 2012-11-11 7:21 PM Thank you for the tips. I'm traveling for interviews on the west and east coast the past month and next 1.5 months. I'm not much of a traveler and become extremely exhausted. How do you recover from your trips? I'm training for IMTX...

Recovery after a trip is different from recovery after a workout.  While listening to your body is good advice after some strong training sessions, I find it deceiving after coming back from a trip, especially when a few hours time change is involved.  I'll do an easy swim, bike, or run soon after I get home, typically for an hour at least.  After a trip, my body says 'just rest' but this is because of sitting still in a plane for hours, but you can really cure jet lag by getting in some easy distance work.

2012-11-12 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4488233

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Subject: RE: Business travel and training help/tips

I travel all the time as well, and my YMCA membership has been the best investment for fitness on the road.  I haven't yet had to pay to use a facility, and have had access to pools and other facilities in 95% of the locations I have visited, including my trips to Canada.  My most dificult times are when I travel to Japan or Brazil.  There, I have to skip the swimming workouts.  Calling ahead to your hotel and asking is almost always helpful. 

Before I leave for each trip, I have directions and pool hours to the 2 closest YMCAs printed out and ready to go.

Best of luck- it is possible to train on the road, you just have to work harder at it! 

Also, I recommend compression socks for the plane!

Edited by GotTorque? 2012-11-12 10:20 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Business travel and training help/tips Rss Feed  

of 2