Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Republicans and Abortion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-11-12 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4492816

Oklahoma City, OK
Subject: RE: Republicans and Abortion
I find it interesting when we refer to restricting abortion as the 'government not allowing a woman to control her body'. Yet I don't see the same outrage with laws outlawing prostitution, drug use, suicide, etc. Aren't these also limits on what a woman (or man) does with their body?

It is understandable that single women are a large group of pro-choice advocates.
This group is most at risk of an unplanned, unexpected and unwanted pregnancy; and the option to dispose of the result is seen as more of a need. And yet, all but a very small number of these pregnancies were pro-choice (the individuals chose to engage in activity that they knew could result in pregnancy).

It sounds easy to suggest both parties simply live with the results of that choice (men are made financially responsible when the woman does decide to keep the child, regardless of his choice). But to do so means admitting to something that most women prefer to keep secret.

The fact is, you can walk into an abortion clinic before any visible sign of pregnancy appears, and walk out no longer pregnant. The evidence of behavior that might cause them to be looked down on by society can be sucked out for $400. That's less than some speeding tickets!
So the issue isn't as much, "don't tell me what I can do with my body", but "don't tell me how to live my life".

I believe most of us recognize an abortion takes a human life. We can dance around the issue with sterile terms, but the sound of a silenced heartbeat tells you what just happened.

But unless we're ready to walk a mile in someone's shoes, and offer solutions & support rather than simply restrictions and judgment, this barbaric practice will still be seen as an option. This is not a decision easily made, and the scars from it often last a lifetime.

2012-11-13 1:23 AM
in reply to: #4495355

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Republicans and Abortion

Sooner Tri Guy - 2012-11-12 1:30 PM I believe most of us recognize an abortion takes a human life. We can dance around the issue with sterile terms, but the sound of a silenced heartbeat tells you what just happened. 

If that were the case, the pro-life side wouldn't have a problem with it's agenda. Since this is actually not the case, we are on this merry-go-round.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Republicans and Abortion Rss Feed  

of 3