Chicago Race #2, LLC.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, ate Cinnamon Toast Crunch and drank iced coffee. Drank a bottle of Gatorade G2.
Event warmup:

Waited in long lines to use the bathroom. Started half an hour late due to parking congestion. Was chatting with ChiLakeShore inside the pier when we realized they had started without us realizing, so we found a break in the fencing and got going.
Run
  • 1h 59m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt bad for the elite 10K-ers who started after the 10 milers - they were trying to weave in and out of 10 milers running/walking abreast across the path, in the other lane, etc.

Knees started aching around the turnaround point, took a gel and walked for a minute. They felt a bit achy the rest of the race but it wasn't anything unbearable.
What would you do differently?:

Me: nothing, I stayed pretty consistent throughout.

Maybe it would logistically be too challenging, but I think they should have done an elite wave start for both races at the same time and then follow up with the regular 10 milers and 10Kers. That way the 10K-ers wouldn't have had to weave through so many walkers.

The late start was a bit annoying but if the race organizer's Facebook page is true, there was a critical vendor no-show that messed everything up. These things happen I guess. One thing I didn't notice because I carried my own water, but was pointed out on the Facebook page, was that there was no sports drink out on the course, even though the website said they were using Powerade.
Post race
Warm down:

Lauren spotted me at the finish! Grabbed a coconut water because I couldn't really stomach the sight of the bananas and bagels. Loooong walk back down the pier to find Chris. Stretched on a planter, ate Chipotle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - this was a distance PR! I finally made it to double digits!

Event comments:

Overall, the price might be a little steep for a race on the same lakefront path you can run for free, but it did seem pretty well supported despite the early hiccups. I might or might not do it next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:52 | 10 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: An out and back along the lakefront path; turnaround was just after 31st street. I hardly ever run the path, so I liked it. More goose poop than I imagined.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-11-10 2:17 PM

User image

Subject: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile

2012-11-11 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4493068

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile

Oh there we go, now I can write a comment!

Yay for your first double digit run. And you got a medal for it!

2012-11-11 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4493068

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Great report!  Glad you ran your own race and hit that 10 mile mark.  Thanks for the course info too, sounds like a good idea that I skipped it this year.
2012-11-12 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4493919

User image

Haha, mcgilmartin - my favorite Threadless shirt of all time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile Rss Feed