General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-11-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4381282

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
went ahead and booked 4 nights (8/15-8/19) at Le Kandahar - Les Suites Tremblant. Looks like a solid place, right in pedestrain village, short walk to transition.

After NYC this year Im ready to get back to being walking distance to all activities. Driving and ferrying from here to there really took its toll on me this year haha.

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Just bumping us up a bit, booked my flights!

Also if anyone is planning to use TriBike Transport, they are having a $50 off sale right now

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Ironman just announced that IMMT will be the new North American Championships! This means 75 Kona slots!!!!! Super psyched, as I was figuring I'd have to be top 5 in my AG (I'll still be shooting for that, though). This will also mean a much deeper pro field, as there are lots of Kona points available for the pros.
in reply to: #4449213

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Super stoked about the announcement. There were 75 KQS at IMNYC this year and it was 8-10 deep on some of the bigger age groups. While I definitely think this will deepen the pro field as well, I don't think it will make a giant impact given the close proximity to Kona. I do hope to see Rapster come and defend his US Championship title and turn it into a NA Championship!

natethomas2000 - 2012-10-10 10:10 PM

Ironman just announced that IMMT will be the new North American Championships! This means 75 Kona slots!!!!! Super psyched, as I was figuring I'd have to be top 5 in my AG (I'll still be shooting for that, though). This will also mean a much deeper pro field, as there are lots of Kona points available for the pros.

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great video, thanks for posting. I am thinking about making this my first IM in 2014. Do you guys think that since it was just announced that it will be the NA championships that this will sell out in minutes next year and if I really want a slot I should volunteer? Also, this might seem like a dumb question but I am curious. If you were there last year, are alot of the signs and roads in english or french? Last time I was in Quebec I remember everything was french so I am just curious. Thanks and good luck to all racing in 2013!

User image

Signed up for this one aswell.

1st IM for me.

I live in Quebec city and i have a friends in Ste-Agathe, but, due to road closures, i think i'm going to rent a condo for the weekend for me and the whole family.

in reply to: #4453128

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
I think that due to the number of positive reviews as well as the NA Champs designation that it is very likely that it will sell out quicker next year. But its hard to say. Volunteering is the only way to make sure you get a slot, plus it would be a great mini vaca!

I believe French is the official language of Quebec, so I would think that the majority of signage would be in French. (And in KM's!)

dmbfan4life20 - 2012-10-14 12:18 PM

Great video, thanks for posting. I am thinking about making this my first IM in 2014. Do you guys think that since it was just announced that it will be the NA championships that this will sell out in minutes next year and if I really want a slot I should volunteer? Also, this might seem like a dumb question but I am curious. If you were there last year, are alot of the signs and roads in english or french? Last time I was in Quebec I remember everything was french so I am just curious. Thanks and good luck to all racing in 2013!

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Yea I assumed most signs would be in french. Its a 10hr drive from my house so I am pretty sure I am going to volunteer this year so I can guarentee myself a spot for 2014. I was just curious about following road signs so I dont get lost. Anyone recommend a place for lodging? Since I am going up by myself (3 days probably) I would like to go cheap as possible or crash with other BTers who might be looking to split the cost of lodging. Let me know if anyone is interested in that.

User image

New user

Crofton, MD

I am signed up for 2013 and was wondering if  the friday night festivities are worth attending with my family.  We are either staying local or in Montreal on friday night.  We are in MT on Sat and Sun.

thanks in advance,

John

User image

I just booked a condo on VRBO ... thank guys for the heads up for that, i would never have found that link. Not a whole lot of choices left, glad i have mine locked up already.

Yes road signs are in French ("Mont Tremblant" instead of "Mount Tremblant"), but it`s not complicated because roads are numbered. A GPS will get you there easily aswell. Just get to Montreal and follow highway 15 North, then follow Mont Tremblant.

Any questions about the province of Quebec and its people, i'll be glad to answer. Just be prepared for a slight language barrier with the locals, nothing to worry about really, it will just make your experience here, more unique !

in reply to: #4428259

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
orangeace - 2012-09-26 11:02 AM
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-09-26 10:11 AM
Birkierunner - 2012-09-26 10:08 AM

For those that haven't seen it, this is a nice video of race day 2012

I did MT this year and am signed up for 2013 (will be my 10th) and simply loved this venue.  Can't wait.

Great video ... Any suggestions for lodging? Want to stay right there in the village I think. One of my friends suggested the Marriott but it looks like its already sold out!

I would get that on soon.  And it depends on how long you are going to stay.  I am staying a little over aw week.  I just got a condo from homeaway.com (or VRBO.com).  I like Homeway better because it has a good map feature.  Most of the cheep and good condos in the village are already taken.  There are some really cheep ones outside the village but they require a 20 min drive in some cases.  I needed to rent a place that had maximum of 20/30 min walk from the village since I would expect a lot of road closures.  That way during the race the family could go back and forth with out to much hassle.  With all the general entries sold out I would expect logging is next to go.  

Thanks for the info about www.homeaway.com  I got on the site last night and was able to book a townhouse within walking distance from the pedestrian village for 2 nights. The site was great with the map feature and listed phone numbers of the owners and I called last night and got my place. So excited about my mini vacation and volunteering at IMMT then registering for 2014!!!

in reply to: #4443787

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-10-06 6:50 PMJust bumping us up a bit, booked my flights! Also if anyone is planning to use TriBike Transport, they are having a $50 off sale right now
Are you flying into Montreal or Albany, I'm driving from Va Beach, let me know if you would like me to bring anything up for you, Jim
in reply to: #4484976

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
dmbfan4life20 - 2012-11-05 5:04 PM
orangeace - 2012-09-26 11:02 AM
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-09-26 10:11 AM
Birkierunner - 2012-09-26 10:08 AM

For those that haven't seen it, this is a nice video of race day 2012

I did MT this year and am signed up for 2013 (will be my 10th) and simply loved this venue.  Can't wait.

Great video ... Any suggestions for lodging? Want to stay right there in the village I think. One of my friends suggested the Marriott but it looks like its already sold out!

I would get that on soon.  And it depends on how long you are going to stay.  I am staying a little over aw week.  I just got a condo from homeaway.com (or VRBO.com).  I like Homeway better because it has a good map feature.  Most of the cheep and good condos in the village are already taken.  There are some really cheep ones outside the village but they require a 20 min drive in some cases.  I needed to rent a place that had maximum of 20/30 min walk from the village since I would expect a lot of road closures.  That way during the race the family could go back and forth with out to much hassle.  With all the general entries sold out I would expect logging is next to go.  

Thanks for the info about www.homeaway.com  I got on the site last night and was able to book a townhouse within walking distance from the pedestrian village for 2 nights. The site was great with the map feature and listed phone numbers of the owners and I called last night and got my place. So excited about my mini vacation and volunteering at IMMT then registering for 2014!!!

Good call on a place you can walk from, I volunteered last year and parking on race day was horrible at best. Even the shuttles were stuck in traffic due to road closures. I worked the 2nd run aid station and had a blast, looking forward to competing this year! Thanks for volunteering, we could not race without you. Jim

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Not a problem at all, I cant wait to volunteer! I am going to sign up as soon as possible so I can get the gig of my choice. I would really like to be a finish line catcher or give away medals sometime between 12-8pm so I can be there when the pro's start to finish. I also want to be done early so I have the night and morning to do things around town. I am glad to know that it will be a hassle to park so I will definately plan on walking everywhere. OUr place is about 1 mile from pedestrian village so not too bad and I can always shuttle if the weather is bad. I was surprised by all the BS taxes that Canada charges for vacation rentals. When you volunteered last year, how many hours did you do? Is it still a 4hr minimum to register the next day and what time did you get in line to register the next day?
in reply to: #4485773

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
dmbfan4life20 - 2012-11-06 9:35 AMNot a problem at all, I cant wait to volunteer! I am going to sign up as soon as possible so I can get the gig of my choice. I would really like to be a finish line catcher or give away medals sometime between 12-8pm so I can be there when the pro's start to finish. I also want to be done early so I have the night and morning to do things around town. I am glad to know that it will be a hassle to park so I will definately plan on walking everywhere. OUr place is about 1 mile from pedestrian village so not too bad and I can always shuttle if the weather is bad. I was surprised by all the BS taxes that Canada charges for vacation rentals. When you volunteered last year, how many hours did you do? Is it still a 4hr minimum to register the next day and what time did you get in line to register the next day?
I was scheduled from 5pm to 11 pm, but I showed up early (3 pm) because I wanted to be the first in my volunteer wave. They were low on volunteer shirts and I wanted one so I could sign up on Mon. The only req was a volunteer shirt to sign up, so as long as you got one you were in. I got there Mon morn to register at 5am and was #2 in line. At IMLP 5am would have been about 500 deep, but I don't think they really knew the deal there yet. Only about 100 volunteers showed up before I was done and headed home. The Finisher gear line was much longer. The taxes for everything are nuts there, food, lodging, clothes, not sure the rate, but all the taxes added about 30% to everything and if you charged it, you get another fee from CC company. Cell phone and WIFI were also an issue, some places in the village had WIFI for free, but I ended up paying the village for a 3 day unlimited package for around 30 bucks. I just used roaming on my Verizon and kept calls short, cheaper than adding Can plan for me.

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
If your interested, I did rent a road bike from Cycle and Sport in downtown MT for a day to ride the IM course. I was very happy with the bike and service from them, way easier than dragging my bike up there. I brought my bike shoes, pedals, and a camelback for hydration, they took care of everything else. Best move I made, it's good to see the course before racing it. I decided after riding, I was going with a compact crank vice standard for his race. The hills on the back half of the coursex2 will wear you out. I also ran 1 loop on the IM course as well.

in reply to: #4486010

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Did you ride compact with a 11(12)-25? or a 27 for the cassette?

godekjames - 2012-11-06 12:01 PM

If your interested, I did rent a road bike from Cycle and Sport in downtown MT for a day to ride the IM course. I was very happy with the bike and service from them, way easier than dragging my bike up there. I brought my bike shoes, pedals, and a camelback for hydration, they took care of everything else. Best move I made, it's good to see the course before racing it. I decided after riding, I was going with a compact crank vice standard for his race. The hills on the back half of the coursex2 will wear you out. I also ran 1 loop on the IM course as well.
in reply to: #4486018

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-11-06 11:03 AM Did you ride compact with a 11(12)-25? or a 27 for the cassette?
godekjames - 2012-11-06 12:01 PM If your interested, I did rent a road bike from Cycle and Sport in downtown MT for a day to ride the IM course. I was very happy with the bike and service from them, way easier than dragging my bike up there. I brought my bike shoes, pedals, and a camelback for hydration, they took care of everything else. Best move I made, it's good to see the course before racing it. I decided after riding, I was going with a compact crank vice standard for his race. The hills on the back half of the coursex2 will wear you out. I also ran 1 loop on the IM course as well.

I rode a compact 11-25 as that was what was on the rental bike. The course from the Ped Village to Lac Superieur on Chemin Duplessis is short but very steep, so  I plan on using a compact w/11-28 for the race. Most race reports say if you grind that hill twice on the bike, you will pay on the run.

User image

I'm in - it'llbe my first Ironman and I'm excited but scared at the same time.Does anybody have any views on whether it would be better to use a Tri bike or road bike given the extent of the hills on the bike course?
in reply to: #4490587

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

slowbuthappy - 2012-11-08 4:28 PM I'm in - it'llbe my first Ironman and I'm excited but scared at the same time.Does anybody have any views on whether it would be better to use a Tri bike or road bike given the extent of the hills on the bike course?

I am/would use a tri bike, there is more of an opportunity to go aero (80% of the course) vs the steep climb (20%). This year most riders used a tri bike, but don't worry what others are doing, ride what your most comfortable with. It's more important to have proper gearing for the hills so you don't burn your legs out before the run

2012-11-10 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Realized there was no thread for IMMT in 2013.  Thought I would get it started.

2012-11-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4493318

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Someone else decided to start an IMMT thread for some reason, so now we have 2 going
in reply to: #4494023

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

godekjames - 2012-11-11 6:48 PM Someone else decided to start an IMMT thread for some reason, so now we have 2 going

Here is the PM I sent Mike regarding the issue.  Hopefully it will be resolved shortly:

Mike--

It appears there is a discrepancy with the IMMT race discussion thread. I started a thread using the race talk button on the BT Race widget, which links to the official BT listing.  After I created that thread I was asked to delete because another thread that is not linked to the BT race listing already existed.  Is there a way to link the pre-existing thread to the official BT listing and then delete my thread so the thread people are using is linked to the race listing?

Thanks

Kelly

2012-11-13 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4494061

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
kaburns1214 - 2012-11-12 9:34 AM

godekjames - 2012-11-11 6:48 PM Someone else decided to start an IMMT thread for some reason, so now we have 2 going

Here is the PM I sent Mike regarding the issue.  Hopefully it will be resolved shortly:

Mike--

It appears there is a discrepancy with the IMMT race discussion thread. I started a thread using the race talk button on the BT Race widget, which links to the official BT listing.  After I created that thread I was asked to delete because another thread that is not linked to the BT race listing already existed.  Is there a way to link the pre-existing thread to the official BT listing and then delete my thread so the thread people are using is linked to the race listing?

Thanks

Kelly

So you know, Mike fixed the issue.  He linked this thread to the entry in the BT race directory and removed the other thread.  If you have indicated that you have registered for this race in the race directory, you'll notice on your training log that there is a banner with "upcoming races."  To go directly to this thread all you need to do is click on "Race Talk" under the IMMT listed race. The listing will also show you when (and how many) new posts there are in the thread.

When starting "official race threads" in the future, the best was to go is to start the thread through the race talk button on the BT Race Race widget (which automatically creates and links the thread).

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9