General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about Augusta 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-17 9:09 AM

Subject: Questions about Augusta 70.3

My sister is debating doing Augusta as her first HIM next season.  She lives out of state so she'd be traveling to the area.  She has a few others as options that are closer to her home and less expensive (non Ironman branded events), smaller races, so she wondered if it is worth the travel and extra cost of an Ironman Branded event in terms of race support, well organized, etc)  She wondered if the bike course feels crowded b/c of the size of the event, thoughts?  Also, how far is the host hotel (Marriot) from the start and finish.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

2012-11-19 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4501737

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Questions about Augusta 70.3
vettegirlhw - 2012-11-17 10:09 AM

....she wondered if it is worth the travel and extra cost of an Ironman Branded event in terms of race support, well organized, etc)  ....

A quality independent race will have as good or better support and organization than a IM branded event.  The independents have to worry about their image to keep people coming back and the IM brand halfs are more like franchises.  A race management company contracts with IM to use the name and put on the event.  IM doesn't have a lot to do with the actual race.

IM branded halfs tend to have a lot more people and a lot more excitement.  

2012-11-19 7:48 AM

Roswell

From my experience, the bike course spread out relatively quickly.  I don't remember ever being completely alone on the course, but I also never really felt crowded.

The layout of the course can be a bit of a pain.  It is a down river swim, so the start is 1.2 miles from the transition area.  I think the Marriott was a mile or less from the start - not exactly sure.  They have buses that will take you back and forth from the Marriott/transition/start so you can get your transition area set up in the morning and then head to transition.  The finish is in the middle of downtown - maybe a block from the Marriott.  Really, it's not bad for the athletes since you are racing, but spectators will have to do some walking.  My wife estimates that she walked a good 6 miles throughout the day to watch me race.

2012-11-19 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)

I did Augusta as my first last year because I was intimadated with the swim. Augusta is down river and wetsuit. This makes it alot easier and took the anxiety out of it for me. That was my deciding factor when picking one for my race.  Great race and well supported. Only people I saw getting held up on the bike were those going 22 mph or higher.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about Augusta 70.3 Rss Feed