General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Strongsville, Ohio
United States
Cleveland West Road Runners Club
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 17s
Overall Rank = 175/594
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/35
Pre-race routine:

This weekend was supposed to be a recovery run yesterday and a med-long run today. Instead, it ended up as a hard trail race yesterday and me attempting to race a HM today. Oy!

I woke up at 7:00am feeling very fatigued and somewhat dehydrated. I apparently did not do a good job of refueling after the race yesterday, and I could immediately feel that it took more out of my legs than I had thought it would. I downed my vitamins, a packet of Emerengen-C (it was in my goodie bag from yesterday's race, figured it couldn't hurt), two Muscle Milks, and a Gu - basically, everything that I could find that I knew would help fuel me quickly. Washed it all down with some coffee and headed out the door to drive to the race. Walking from the parking area to the race, we had to cross a street and I attempted a quick jog to hurry across and I was immediately hobbled and did one of them fast limps because the right shin/calf/ankle was just not happy with me at all. Pain and fatigue, big time.
Event warmup:

Waited in line for the port-o-potties and about 20 minutes before the race start, I ate another gel. Thought about doing some light jogging to warm up the legs, decided to just to some light stretches.
Run
  • 1h 53m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Right off the bat, this race was all about pain and fatigue management.
Being that the legs were feeling so beat up from yesterday's race, I decided that I'd just make this a Med-Long run (like it was supposed to be by my training plan) and stick to the correct HR zone for that and not worry about pace or time. That ended up being not only a good decision, but something I also didn't have a whole lot of choice in. At the gun, I was off and while feeling the pain in the shin, I was still able to move kinda effortlessly at a nice pace (7:30). That lasted about half a mile. After that, the entire next four miles were just pain in the legs. They didn't want to move. It seemed that every time I checked my watch, my HR was the same, but my pace had dropped :15/mile. It wasn't long before I was at 9:30/mile. Fortunately, it wasn't too long after that the legs FINALLY loosened up a bit and I felt like I could actually move well. I picked up the pace and held like that feeling pretty good until about mile 8, then the leg pain/fatigue started to return. At mile 10, it was difficult to hold a pace that actually kept my HR high enough to be in the correct zone. I pretty much just stuck it out and pushed myself - focusing on stride form, or figuring out how many minutes I had left, or whatever... just whatever I could to keep the mind from focusing on how much the legs hurt. Around mile 12.5 things started to feel better enough to start to get going again and I pushed well all the way through to the finish.

Even with all of the above, I still PR'd the distance by over 7 minutes.
So, my decision making kinda sucks and I didn't do as well as I could have by any means, I think that I still have to be happy with the results.
What would you do differently?:

Ideally, not race the day before - especially not a very hilly one.
On the flip side, it does give me an idea of just how far I have to go to have the kind of times off the bike that I'm wanting to get to.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the chute, got my medal, downed several cups of water, ate half a banana and then walked the half mile to my car and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pain & fatigue.

Last updated: 2012-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:17 | 13.1 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/35
Overall: 175/594
Performance: Average
Course: A pancake-flat, two loop course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-11-19 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon

2012-11-20 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4503470

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon

So a hard trail race in place of a recovery run followed by a HM the next day in place of a medium long? Daaaayuuuumm, waita HTFU!

2012-11-21 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4504989

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Thanks Salty, but after last night's run, I'm thinking 'HTFU' would be misused.  I'm still feeling it in my right leg (ankle/achilles area and calf), so I think that it was definitely more having a case of the stupids than being able to HTFU.  

Live and learn, eh?

I think I'm looking at a few days of recovery paced runs, or just outright rest, to get back on track.

2012-12-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4503470

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow - a big PR the day after a hard race? You really fought for that one. I see a big, new PR coming when you feel fresh. 

I'm glad your big refuel seemed to work out for you. My stomach is churning a little reading about it. 

BTW - waking up a 7 on race day, ah, that sounds nice. I guess one of the drawbacks of living in AZ is that our races start early Tongue out

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Fall Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed