World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 32m 49s
Overall Rank = 248/2940
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/311
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, ate breakfast and headed to transition.
Event warmup:

Just a bit of crowded swimming before the start.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 48s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Never did a mass start so I was not sure where to start from. I settled for about 4/5 deep from the front. When the cannon went off it took about 3/4 of a mile before I could see some open water and actually swim horizontal without bumping into everyone around me. When I got free of the crowd I finally settled in my stroke and made it to the turn around before catching the next crowd. After the turn it was OK for another 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile before I ran into another big clump of people that I did not get around until the turn into the exit.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I had started further up and had been able to get into my stroke early and stayed relaxed for thew whole swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 45s
Comments:

Transition was relaxing. Never did a race with gear bags (if you don't count Oceanside 2012 - very different anyway) so I took my time with everything especially putting band aids on my 2 right toes that still had remnants of huge blisters from a month ago.

Not sure. I guess a little sense of urgency wouldn't hurt.
Bike
  • 5h 20m 19s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was the first big unknown for me. I knew I could ride the distance but how hard was too hard to have a good run? In my 110+ mile training rides I averaged 215-220 watts and was able to run well off the bike BUT those were only 4-6 mile runs. To be sure and still hearing all the coaches and veterans from the last few days I went EASY on the bike, especially the first loop, and kept it aerobic and comfortable the whole way. I averaged 181 watts which is way low so I guess I could have pushed harder but is that a fact or just wishful thinking considering the run to come? I was worried about dehydration given my past experiences with the SOMA half and the dry heat but I ended up in the porta potty twice so I guess I drank enough.

The bike felt comfortable, almost too much so. I have a feeling I could have gone harder but without any reference (this is my first full IM) I cannot be sure.
Transition 2
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

It is nice tom have your bike taken as soon as you get off!! Got my gear bag and headed to the tent. Had to fuss with my toes by removing the band aids, inspecting, drying and then applying new ones - and that took time. I guess it was better than having to walk the marathon because of bad blisters.

Again, like T1, a bit of urgency would not have hurt.
Run
  • 3h 46m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was honestly worried about the run. I ran 24 miles in training but that was 2 days after the long ride. I knew I could run the distance but not if I could do it well off the bike. With that in mind I started, and stayed, very slow and aerobic. I was able to have full sentence conversations the whole way to the finishing chute. Due to the blisters on my right toes I favored the left leg and that started getting sore at mile 20 or so but that was the worst of it. Kept waiting for the wall or the "suck" to hit but it never came. To be sure I walked a bunch of the aid stations to make sure I got the fluids and nutrition I needed.

Go harder especially after mile 18 when I still felt fresh and was not very fatigued.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family and finally realized I had done a full Ironman!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of knowledge of how my body would respond and fear of imploding kept me from pushing harder.

Event comments:

I am stoked about my first IM!!!
Armed with the knowledge I gained on race day I am planning to come back next year prepared to race hard and fast and improve my time by a bunch!!

Last updated: 2011-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:48 | 4224 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 99/311
Overall: 629/2940
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blueseventy Helix
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:45
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:20:19 | 112 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/311
Overall: 381/2940
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:46:47 | 26.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/311
Overall: 248/2940
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-20 3:39 PM

Encinitas, CA
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2012-11-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4505336

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona

Congratulations IRONMAN!!!!

Sounds like you executed your plan nicely!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed