General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-11-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: RE: What to have for IMAZ on raceday. Did I leave anything out?
Why is changing an actual tire on the course not doable? I always carry an extra tire with me for when I cannot find the culprit poking holes in my tubes.

2013-11-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: blackorcutt

Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

In past years there have been volunteers handing out glow in the dark necklaces (more of just a circle of thin glow sticks) to people on the run after a certain point.  Just a heads up....

2013-11-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

You can change a tire as long as you carry a spare. Personally I carry 2 boots - old tire cutouts that I can slide in to cover the hole/cut/gash.

Edited by alex_korr 2013-11-12 12:57 PM
2013-11-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
A friend said it would be a good idea to carry ibuprofen just in case of any small aches. Is there any downside to taking ibuprofen or tylenol/aleve during a long race like this?
2013-11-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: Mikeylee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Originally posted by Mikeylee

Why is changing an actual tire on the course not doable? I always carry an extra tire with me for when I cannot find the culprit poking holes in my tubes.

Mikey - are you using tubulars or clinchers? If clinchers, I have to admit I have not come across anyone who carries a complete replacement tire with them on the bike - just spare tubes.

I suppose when I said "not going to happen", I was going off experience of most people not carrying spare tires. Obviously, if you can carry one, then a tire change becomes much more possible.
2013-11-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: Panda_Jack

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Originally posted by Panda_Jack

A friend said it would be a good idea to carry ibuprofen just in case of any small aches. Is there any downside to taking ibuprofen or tylenol/aleve during a long race like this?

Reaction to ibuprofen on the course is purely personal - I carry it in my bento box and have taken it on rides before with no effect, but you always want to consider the fact that you have or have not done something in the past before trying it for the first time at IM.

2013-11-12 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Sorry - double post.

Edited by 101abp40 2013-11-12 1:53 PM
2013-11-12 2:01 PM

User image

Platte City
I don't have time to find the studies (plus, I'm no doctor), but ibuprofen has been linked to kidney failure/major kidney damage during endurance events. Especially when coupled with dehydration.

Might want to do some research if taking these are part of your race day plan. (also not good immediately after from what I've heard/read)
2013-11-12 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Any of the vets have any comments on the Friday Dinner? Not sure If I want to hassle with it as I will be staying out in Surprise and not sure if I will be on that side of town. If I'm over there, I will for sure stop by. On the other hand this is my first IM and want to take in what makes the trip that more memorable without over doing it.

Can't belive I will be checking into my flight in a couple hours!!! is getting super real Almost done packing and have that stress behind me. Decided to pre-pack my race day bags (Swim, Bike and Special Needs). The transfer of items will super easy when I'm out there.
2013-11-12 3:26 PM
in reply to: thepaul500

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by thepaul500

I don't have time to find the studies (plus, I'm no doctor), but ibuprofen has been linked to kidney failure/major kidney damage during endurance events. Especially when coupled with dehydration.

Might want to do some research if taking these are part of your race day plan. (also not good immediately after from what I've heard/read)

This is correct. NSAIDs have been proven to affect kidney function during endurance races. NSAIDs include ibuprofen, Aleve, and Motrin.

Tylenol is safe to take and is what I carry on race day.
2013-11-12 3:26 PM

User image

New user

Espoo

Sorry for the hard words, but if a friend tells you, that its a good idea to use doping before/during the race, are you also considering it ?

"Healthy" Pain is part of the game and the reason why an Ironman is tough and in case of a serious injury the pain is good to show you, that you should stop.

Taking any medicine during a race is simply a NO GO form my pov.

cheers & have a good race all,
Erwin

2013-11-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: Joeyj1974

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Joeyj1974

Any of the vets have any comments on the Friday Dinner? Not sure If I want to hassle with it as I will be staying out in Surprise and not sure if I will be on that side of town. If I'm over there, I will for sure stop by. On the other hand this is my first IM and want to take in what makes the trip that more memorable without over doing it.

Can't belive I will be checking into my flight in a couple hours!!! is getting super real Almost done packing and have that stress behind me. Decided to pre-pack my race day bags (Swim, Bike and Special Needs). The transfer of items will super easy when I'm out there.

I'm not an IM vet so take this with a grain of salt. That said, I've been training with a large group of IMAZ vets who all recommend I go. They say it's part of the first timer process and is inspirational. The food is bland and not that great but I've decided to go because everyone recommends it. As they say, you can only do your first IM once so might as well take it all in.
2013-11-12 3:32 PM

User image

New user

Espoo

Sorry for the hard words, but if a friend tells you, that its a good idea to use doping before/during the race, are you also considering it ?

"Healthy" Pain is part of the game and the reason why an Ironman is tough and in case of a serious injury the pain is good to show you, that you should stop.

Erwin
2013-11-12 4:18 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by [email protected]

Erwin

We're talking about Tylenol... It's not even an anti-inflammatory drug. Totally fine to use during an IM.

Edited by devilfan02 2013-11-12 4:25 PM
2013-11-12 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Erwin said:

Erwin

Sorry for the harsh words, but if an orthopedic surgeon tells you to have both knees replaced due to bone on bone arthritis, are you going to consider it or are you going to continue to do your best to participate in a sport you love? Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs are not on the WADA banned list. Some of us could not function, less train without them. It boils down to if you use the meds regularly, train with them, know how you personally react, and are aware of the potential side effects (renal derangement, SIADH), then go for it. Like just about everything else, never try something new on race day. Just my $0.02.

Edited by exnavydoc 2013-11-12 4:42 PM
2013-11-12 5:04 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Champion
MA

Hope everyone has safe travel to Tempe!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend~

2013-11-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Use the motrin if you want.... dont use it if you dont want to. I always love how strong the opinions are about this topic.

I am not going to the dinner. Nothing worse than being at a table with a bunch of over hyped triathletes and their spouses. Would rather be at home having a chill dinner with family and watching Kona broadcast that starts at 1630
2013-11-12 10:03 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by Tryrn

Use the motrin if you want.... dont use it if you dont want to. I always love how strong the opinions are about this topic.

I am not going to the dinner. Nothing worse than being at a table with a bunch of over hyped triathletes and their spouses. Would rather be at home having a chill dinner with family and watching Kona broadcast that starts at 1630

Dinner is Friday. Kona broadcast is Saturday.
I look forward to hanging out with some over hyped triathletes and their spouses.
I don't expect I will eat the food though, we will eat before.

Edited by KeriKadi 2013-11-12 10:04 PM
2013-11-12 11:03 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Bring on the food!! Bring on the Ironman experience!! Bring on race day!!! Heck, even bring on the Motrin!! I know my plan is to enjoy the experience and to make it so others can enjoy theirs too! I hope to see a bunch of you before the race and on the course!
Doug's dad!
2013-11-12 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
Originally posted by KeriKadi

I look forward to hanging out with some over hyped triathletes and their spouses.

Is the food that bad?
2013-11-13 5:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by KeriKadi

oo... good call i had that messed up... so ill be home watching who knows what lol.

2013-11-13 8:19 AM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
So another dumb question as I usually use my iPhone when tracking friends. For those who want to track your race. Do you direct them to the Arizona page on ironman.com or just the ironman.com home page?
2013-11-13 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

So another dumb question as I usually use my iPhone when tracking friends. For those who want to track your race. Do you direct them to the Arizona page on ironman.com or just the ironman.com home page?

Specifically for the iPhone there is a 0.99 app called IronTrac. It pulls the timing mat updates right from Ironman.com, and is structured to fit the iPhone (so you are not trying to view a webiste on a small screen).

I always tell people if they are at home, go to Ironman.com, as you can check athlete statuses and watch the live cameras they have in specific areas (especially the finish line cam). But if my family and/or friends are out and about, I tell them to use IronTrac. IronTrac also lets you track multiple people at the touch of a button (or screen), which is a bit more convenient than constantly entering a name or bib number to get updates.
2013-11-13 9:01 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Originally posted by 101abp40

Specifically for the iPhone there is a 0.99 app called IronTrac. It pulls the timing mat updates right from Ironman.com, and is structured to fit the iPhone (so you are not trying to view a webiste on a small screen).

I always tell people if they are at home, go to Ironman.com, as you can check athlete statuses and watch the live cameras they have in specific areas (especially the finish line cam). But if my family and/or friends are out and about, I tell them to use IronTrac. IronTrac also lets you track multiple people at the touch of a button (or screen), which is a bit more convenient than constantly entering a name or bib number to get updates.

I will for sure have my wife purchase the IronTrac app as she will be on site with my brother and it will probably be easier on an iPhone.

Also, just checked and looks like TTL is still sitting at 65 degrees.
2013-11-13 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Originally posted by 101abp40

I will for sure have my wife purchase the IronTrac app as she will be on site with my brother and it will probably be easier on an iPhone.

Also, just checked and looks like TTL is still sitting at 65 degrees.

Looking forward to sunshine and warmth. It was 22 degress this morning in Detroit area - Brrrrr

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 30