General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-24 6:47 PM

User image

Madison
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
Does anyone know the Devil's Lake bike portion? For instance, how long are the hills, how steep? Do you have a layout of the actual terrain, like a topographic map? I plan to go out there soon, but it would be nice to get a head start on knowing what the challenge will be. I hear the hills are tough.

Any info is great.

Good luck on your training!

Kristin

2006-06-28 4:33 PM
in reply to: #464704

User image

Madison
Subject: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=258202
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=258202

I charted the course in gmap. Its only rough. Looks like the bike portion is a 6mile climb, with an altitude change of ~700ft. It starts about mile 4-5 and goes to about mile 10-11.

You can see the map for yourself if you go to the link and click on the elevation link that says "small" or "large."

Anyway, food for thought if you haven't been. The website is pretty cool to plot your own routes and get all sorts of info that way too.

Enjoy.
2006-08-27 9:40 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
Thanks for mapping that course out. It is going to be a great challenge to climb that 700 feet over 6 miles. But also nice to know the last 5 miles are mostly DOWN. My wife and i and a few yes's and maybe's are competing in that race. It will be a good time. Hope to meet you there. Can't miss me, I'll be one of the TALL ones there.

2006-08-28 9:55 AM
in reply to: #523696

User image

Master
Madison, WI
I drove it a week ago. (Was going to ride it but torrential rains put a crimp in that plan.) It's a tough, tough course. The roads have no shoulders and they're not in the best of shape. You cross a major highway and there are some pretty good curves. It's gonna kick my butt.

BUT - it's gonna kick everyone's butt. So, I figure it all evens out in the end. Right?
2006-08-28 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
I have not seen the course, but a few racer at the Two Rivers race said the hills are tough, but not as bad as the climb at High Cliff. Should be a great final race for the year.
2006-08-30 2:47 PM

User image

Madison
This is my first tri, I'm kind of nervous. Who's ready? Any suggestions?

2006-08-30 8:58 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
Suggestions? Don't eat pizza right before the start of the race and when training, try to work in running immediately following biking. That helped me prepare for the transition from bike to run on my first ever race, although now I'm too lazy to do much running at all I'm sure that's going to come back to haunt me in a few weeks.
2006-08-31 12:36 AM
in reply to: #527048

User image

Madison
Hah!

Trying to keep a clean diet going -- pizza maybe as a celebration! I have been practicing my bike to run, as thats my favorite part!
2006-09-04 9:36 PM
in reply to: #527048

User image

Master
piece o heaven
This is my first tri, I'm kind of nervous. Who's ready? Any suggestions?

It can be nerve racking the first time out. Not sure what to expect, who to trust, where to go. There are so many ways to overcome.

1> do the course- the more familiar you are, the easier it will seem and the less anxious you will be.

2> most importantly train! if you are well prepared physically, you will understand mentally that you can do it!

3> if you cant do the course, study the maps so you know the turns and roads - that way you will not feel like you are lost.

4> talk to others- stay on BT and get pointers - all triathletes will give you info, just figure out waht works best for you and things will fall into place.

5> think Just finish, not Just Win! It is your first, if you win it CONGRATULATIONS I'll buy you a drink ( beer to juice to h2o) My first was just to finish, but I train fairly consistently and knew the course very well - I trained there for 2 months on weekends because I had access to it.

6> the only person you have to impress/worry about/show off for is YOU!!!! Do your best and do not worry. In the end the adrenaline rush of finishing is great whether you are 1st or last. It is an accomplishment not many others have achieved.

Good luck in training and hope to meet you at the race

**ps What's wrong with pizza? It has several basic food groups wrapped (soaked in grease) into one. Like my breakfast of OJ, PopTarts and pickle juice is an award winner!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed