Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Club
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 8s
Overall Rank = 300/436
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/33
Pre-race routine:

I got up and drove to the race. I ate a Cliff Bar and a breakfast bar. Drank the necessary amount of caffeine and unpacked my gear.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 14m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is weedy. As you swim along the weeds grab your feet. There were many weeds floating in the water, churned up from the boats. How you can put your face in that water is beyond me. The race organizers had a hose set up to wash off your feet. That was the best part of the swim. I could not get a rythm, just suffered for 440 yards.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I could not get my cycling shoes on my feet. Other than that it was onto the bike pretty quick. I did not think that I took a nap. I finally felt like I got into and out of T1. May not have been fast, but I did not feel like I took a nap.
Bike
  • 41m 27s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 19.54 mile/hr
Comments:

The out was not easy. I felt my legs get a rythm on the bike. Really, before I knew it I was in Pierecton and was turning around to go back to Winona Lake. I developed a cramp on the way to Pierceton. That was rough, I have never ridden with a cramp. I blame the speed session on Tuesday.
What would you do differently?:

Time is what I need. A few more weeks of speed work and my legs will not be shot, but stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

T2 went off as planned. Today is the first day I do not feel like I took a nap in transition.
Run
  • 30m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I forgot about the horrible Warsaw water. Took a drink of water right out of transition and wanted to puke. Warsaw water always tastes like chlorine. It is straight up nasty. I cramped about 1 mile into the run. I could never get my legs comfortable. Speed work is to blame. It is the necessary soreness to faster running. I have run this course before. The last time I was stronger, but I had not swam and biked. Overall, I am not upset with my run. With the speed session, I was not going to have the stongest run. I can feel it, speed work will pay off.
What would you do differently?:

I need a few more speed sessions to see any benefit. Until then my running times will suffer as my legs are shredded.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to my 92 year old grandmother. It was cool to have family watch you race. It was nice for them to see what my passion is all about. They also got to see that I am not the only crazy person on this planet.

Event comments:

The weeds really detract. If you can get past them, this is a great race. It is run as well as Chicago. Volunteers and police, the course was not closed, but it really felt like the athletes were the priority. I ran this race in Phil's memory and I will run it next year as it really is a great event.

Last updated: 2006-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:10 | 440 yards | 03m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/436
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: Out to a boat and back. Standing at the shore thinking"really that is not that far".
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:27 | 13.5 miles | 19.54 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course is out to Pierceton and back. The road out to Pierceton is basically uphill. It is not a climb, but a gradual hill that really taxes your legs. The back is rocking, you fly back at speeds like 22-28mph. The road is open, but the police and volunteers keep traffic to a minimum. I think I saw maybe 2-3 cars and trucks. The course starts and finishes in town. It would be nice to not have to wind your way through the town on Winona Lake.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:15 | 03 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: One big hill in the middle. Flat as a pancake other than the hill. The run course was what I expected. I ran a 5k a couple of years ago and it is the same course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-24 8:32 PM

New user

Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Warsaw Optimist Triathlon

2006-06-24 10:28 PM
in reply to: #464750

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
Subject: RE: Warsaw Optimist Triathlon

Hey, I read your report. Good job. I did the race too - my third time. Those weeds are out of control, and the drinking water sucks. I agree 100%. I came out of T2 and took a bog chug of water. What a mistake. I didn't drink for the rest of the run. I had the taste of in my mouth for the rest. Lucky for me I had stuff in my Trans. area to re hydrate!

Good job!

2006-06-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #464786

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Welcome to Warsaw -the worst quality water in the midwest. I work in Warsaw and our water treatment systems are lets say "challenged".

Nice race, I was hoping to meet one of you guys, maybe next time.

2006-06-25 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Sounds like a typical mid-west lake.  The Canton, IL tri is the same. 

Congrats on your race.  Thanks for the report.

2006-06-26 9:08 AM

User image

over a barrier
Nice job on the race.....I guess I'm glad I didn't take in any water on the course....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Warsaw Optimist Triathlon Rss Feed