General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unprepared . . . Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-01 4:06 AM

New user

Subject: Unprepared . . .

Hi there, so I am new to triathlons. Bit nervous about my training so far (pretty much none). 
I have been out of action for a couple of months with injuries, during that time I decided to give triathlons a go. I am a former swimmer but haven't been in the water for several months and am pretty new to cycling (doing around 140km commuting a week). I struggle a bit with running though due partly to a knee injury.

The race is in a week and I feel like I have not done enough training. Pretty much my question is what should I concentrate on? I have pretty limited time due to my other sport taking up a both mornings and evenings. Should I working on the brick workouts, my running, swimming, open water swimming etc?

It is a super sprint race as I was worried about running with an injury, so the situation could be a lot worse,  but I am competitive so I want to do fairly well in this event.

Thank you in advice for any help you could give me.

2012-12-01 6:07 AM
in reply to: #4517422

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Unprepared . . .

Work on your transitions. That's about the only thing you can improve with a week to go.

If you haven't before, an open water swim might help, just to have you experience the difference of swimming out of a pool.

2012-12-01 6:15 AM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA

You can also look around a bunch of threads that have some advice on what to bring and how to set up transition. As far as race time though, with a week to go training super hard won't do much for you and you risk injury.

Stay healthy, practice transitions, do some light training, and get some sleep.

2012-12-01 6:17 AM

User image

Let the injury heal and forget the race. It's a super sprint and if you are going to compete, you risk further damage b/c you're going to be pushing yourself harder than you've trained for lately and (most likely) harder than your injury can take.

If you're not training as you desire, then it's going to be hard for you to judge how you will perform overall and if you can run with an injury. Take this time to get back in the pool and let the knee heal. Don't cause further knee damage just b/c you want to compete, it's just a race...there will be plenty more.

2012-12-01 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I am in a similar situation.   I am recovering from a second bout of achilles tendonitis.  I am going to 'race' but not worry about time or speed, just finish.  Like you I was a swimmer but it was decades ago.  Still very strong in the water though.  I am also getting pretty comfortable on a bike for a sprint distance.

Since I have not been able to train the way I would like this is how I plan to do my race.

Swim - focus on technique.  As a strong swimmer I will still post a respectable time.

Bike - the event where I will push myself. I have the most training in on the bike so I will listen to my body and do the best I can.

Run - will actually be a walk. I do not want to reinjure my achilles so I see no benefit in trying to save a few minutes here when I am not ready to run.  Too little benefit for the potential cost.

Have fun and go for the experience, not the clock.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unprepared . . . Rss Feed