New Zealand
17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 13s
Overall Rank = 1033/1419
Age Group = M 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 113/144
Pre-race routine:

Had a really good day before, jamming with my guitar teacher for a couple hours, did my registation. Looked around some bike stores for a mountain bike.

I had been ill for most of the week, but felt ok on Saturday.

I had a really good nights sleep, woke about about 6:00 and I was going to sleep in a little as I didn't have to get going until 7:45 for an 8:45 ferry to the start line.

Anyway had some oats for breakfast. Left the house at around 7:00 I was going to catch the bus , but walked instead as I had some extra time. On the walk down I was not feeling the best.

Made it to the ferry building with a ton of time to spare, had a bottle of water and coffee and waited for the ferry to board.

After about a 1/2 hour wait I boarded the ferry for the trip across. Trip parrelled the swim course and it looked really rough and windy. Sort of discussed this with a woman sitting next to me.

Event warmup:

Put the wet suit on and listened the the pre race briefing, while watching a kayaker being rescued. Good sign.

Got into the water straight after the briefing and swum around for about 10 mintues.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 13s
  • 2900 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was good , nice and relaxed for the first 200 - 400 meters , I got kicked around a little but was going well.

Made it out of the marina and the first main bouy. Lots of swimmings around and it was a bit rough.

then over the next few bouys it got rougher as I went into the open harbour. Over the mid part of the swim I didn't see any other swimmers. At one point I wondered if the swim had been cancelled. Also nearly swum into a moored yatch.

Had problems with googles fogging up, and the wave hight. It made it really difficult to see wear to go.

Near the end of the swim I found a lot more swimmers and made it to the sheltered viaduct, swum to the finish.

Really dizzy getting out of water.
What would you do differently?:

Dont know really, I suspect that I swum way off course.

Anti fog on googles, maybe swim near the other swimmers instead of following my own course.

Body glide on colar of wet suit.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected bag, got changed and walked home. Had a Chocolate milk on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor navigation I suspect.

Event comments:

Will do next year , for the main reason being to correct that time that I swum

Last updated: 2012-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:13 | 2900 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 113/144
Overall: 1033/1419
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes
Course: Starting from Baywater marina, straight line across to the via duct.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No