General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Boulder bike course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 9:23 AM

User image

Subject: New Boulder bike course
Can any local Boulder residents shed any light on the new bike course? I've seen the map, elevation gains but I'm curious about the overall thoughts towards the new course. Good or bad, I'm still registering for the race today. Thanks!

2012-12-03 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4519149

New user
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: New Boulder bike course

Just registered for 2013 Boulder!

So excited about the bike route change.  That very first ~4 mile climb was a true pain the second time around when it was a 2x loop.  Plus, repeated loop courses screw with my head, so I am all for the change.

2012-12-03 1:20 PM

User image

I'm in as well! By changing it to 1 loop, times should be faster because you don't have to tackle the hill again at mile 26ish...?
2012-12-04 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
I live just outside Boulder.  In terms of difficulty, the new course is maybe slightly easier than the old course.  36 into Lyons is a nice fast downhill, 75th St from Ute Hwy to Woodland is a false flat climb.  There are a few other very slight climbs here and there.  But really, the route is about as flat as it gets around here.  Pretty good road surfaces.  It should be a nice fast ride.

Personally, I'd like to see the route go up one of the canyons...

p.s. Look for the giant cowboy statue on Ute Highway!

2012-12-04 9:23 AM

User image

Thank you for the route information! Local information is always the best nformation out there.
2012-12-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4520891

New user
Littleton, CO

If anyone is interested in setting up some 70.3 route-specific training rides, assuming weather is OK (and with the way this winter is looking so far, we may have a few good weekends), please let us know.  Winter training requires a bit more motivation and comradre...

2012-12-23 2:57 PM

User image

New user

Hello out there. I am brand new to this site and am very excited and overwhelmed with the info available. I just signed up for my first HIM (Boulder!) and was wondering if anyone has done it and can advise on the high altitude. I am in San Antonio, TX, and am ready to start my training for August. I have the Disney marathon in Orlando in a few weeks (that is an annual event) then will be starting a training plan. Trying not to ramble here, since I am not familiar with everything yet, and am very curious about the high altitude in CO. Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance :-) Looking forward to getting on here regularly after the holidays and as I learn to navigate the site and forums.
2012-12-24 12:28 PM

User image

Lisa, what is the elevation in San Antonio? I live at 2,000 feet and we have 93% oxygen. At 5,000 feet, it there is approximately 83% oxygen. That should be a good pace to start.
2012-12-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4546896

User image

New user

I live at 512 feet in San Antonio. Having trouble finding the oxygen %. Thank you for the info though. Do you or anyone know is there anything in particular I could do in training that would help with the elevation in CO? I am already planning on getting there early enough to try to acclimate, and since this is a new area for me, just curious what, if anything, I can do ahead of time that may help too. Thanks again.
2012-12-27 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4546896

User image

New user

I live at 512 feet in San Antonio. Having trouble finding the oxygen %. Thank you for the info though. Do you or anyone know is there anything in particular I could do in training that would help with the elevation in CO? I am already planning on getting there early enough to try to acclimate, and since this is a new area for me, just curious what, if anything, I can do ahead of time that may help too. Thanks again.
2012-12-27 8:56 PM

User image

Lisa, if you go to www.altitude.org you can type in your elevation and it calculates your oxygen level. I did it for you and it states you have 98% oxygen compared to being at sea level. As for training, I could not tell you how to train for altitude other than to go to altitude. I talked to a local pro and he told me to fully acclimate to the elevation of Boulder, you would have to go about 3 months in advance. He also said you can trick your body by going just 1 or 2 days prior to the race and that way you don't have time to feel the altitude. Hope some of this helps, see ya in Boulder!

2012-12-29 7:23 AM

User image

Lisa, I'm from eastern Nebraska elevation about 1200'. I haven't done any races in CO (I'm entered in the Tough Mudder next June & still considering Boulder) but I have done plenty of hikes, training runs, biking & lots of skiing in the Summit county area (9000' & above IIRC) the biggest thing I've learned is hydrate hydrate & hydrate. My first ski trip there I wasn't properly hydrated and the altitude messed with me, a friend gave me this tip & I haven't had an issue with it since. Yes the air is different & you will probably fatigue a little faster but it's nothing to worry about. Good luck! Hope this helps!
2012-12-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4550345

User image

Master
University Park, MD

LisaGee - 2012-12-27 3:51 PM I live at 512 feet in San Antonio. Having trouble finding the oxygen %. Thank you for the info though. Do you or anyone know is there anything in particular I could do in training that would help with the elevation in CO? I am already planning on getting there early enough to try to acclimate, and since this is a new area for me, just curious what, if anything, I can do ahead of time that may help too. Thanks again.

I'm a flatlander (Washington DC) who did Boulder 70.3 last year as my first HIM. I was in Boulder for a few weeks prior to the race, so I was acclimated by the time the race came around, but struggled the first few days. The other big factor for the 70.3 is that the run is rather harder than it looks. Here's what I'd suggest:

-- If you can give yourself some days to acclimate, it'll likely help, even if only in terms of gauging how much to slow down. Remember to hydrate very well. Folks seem to often encounter digestive issues soon after going to higher altitudes.
-- Swim: you should be simply relaxing your way around the swim in any case, so it shouldn't be hard; but I was struck at first by how my normal 3-stroke breathing pattern didn't work for me at altitude, so I had to learn to be comfortable with a less-balanced 2-stroke rhythm.
-- Bike: shouldn't be a problem. The thinner air makes riding easier, so it compensates for the lack of oxygen
-- Run: the run course is not really hilly, but it is quite exposed, and in the middle of the day the heat can be oppressive. Hydrate well and pace conservatively. At the end of Lap 1 I felt that I had perhaps held back too much, but not long after that I was suffering big time.

Good luck. 

2013-01-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4554371

User image

New user

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This info is great! Even my husband (who just did his first IM last August) never thought about the swimming issue at higher altitudes. And since swimming is my challenge, your information is going to start me off on the right track. I will probably only have a few days to acclimate, but I am confident I will be ready. Thank you so much again, and you may hear from me again as I get deeper into this. LOL! My official HIM training starts after Disney (Doing the Orlando Disney Marathon..been doing this one for years and our group has grown to over 15!) when I will switch to more swimming and biking for sure. Thanks again!Laughing
2013-01-02 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4552776

User image

New user

Thank you lots! This is a big help and I can't hear it enough. I am starting now to get in the habit of hydrating more. I may print this out and hang it where I will see it every day, lol. Thanks again!
2013-01-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4550830

User image

New user

Thank you very much. This helped put the altitude in perspective. Unfortunately I will only be there a few days early, but I feel confident that I will be well  prepared thanks to info like yours and the others on this site. Looking forward to ultimate success. See you in Boulder and best of luck with your training. 

2013-01-05 11:49 AM

Has any locals ridden the new 1 loop bike course? any thoughts on it? climbs, descents, cornering?  I have mapped it and it looks fairly flat with the initial climb out of the reservior and onto 36 going north. I am hoping for a flat and fast course and with the higher altitude and a new carbon fiber tri bike, I am thinking I will be fast on this course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Boulder bike course Rss Feed