Texas Trail Run
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 08m 34s
Overall Rank = 11/33
Age Group = Masters
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet the night before so all I had to do on Saturday was drive to the park and be ready to run. I still got there an hour early. Was getting pretty nervous about day light but it came around just in time and we did not need headlamps to start.
Event warmup:

No use warming up for a 50 mile run.
Run
  • 10h 08m 34s
  • 50 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

After DNFing Javelina, then running a good 50 miler two weeks later, and now three weeks after that 50 miles, my goal for today was Discipline and Patience.

Set the watch for 3:2. The terrain made it a bit difficult to stick to the intervals but I did fairly well for the first three laps. When I got to lap four and I was still feeling good, I didn't turn the watch off but pretty much decided that if it was downhill I would run it, if it was uphill I was definately walking it and anything in between I'd just kind of get through it.

My four lap times were:
2:25:01
2:28:34
2:38:51
2:36:10

I feel like I met my primary goals well during this race. Winning the Masters was an added bonus.

I stayed well within myself, did the walk breaks but walked strong when walking.

The idea was to get comfortable with this course. I was expecting the tree roots, although I was secretly hoping that there wouldn't be quite this many. What I was not expecting was the amount of loose sand that we ran through. I'm hoping that after a couple of hard freezes before early February that the ground will be a bit more solid for Rocky and this won't be quite as bad.

This was a good course for 50 miles but will definately be a major challenge for 100 miles. I am going to have to slow down A LOT. Walk all of the hills from the beginning. This is a lot easier to do at Umstead then it is here. At Umstead the hills are well defined. Here you end up running too many sections that are inclines but in the first 30ish mile you might not really consider them a hill. After a while they will be a mountain.

I did have some issues with the aid stations. They had a problem with bees and flies. The race orgainizers are locals and have been putting races on in this park for a long time. I'm sure this was not the first year that the buzzing insects have been out. They are not a problem when running but they swarmed the aid stations. Especially the main aid station. I had a very difficult time making myself eat. They really could have done a better job of having things in closed containers. Especially the sweet stuff, but they were on everything. It was also very humid so the salty chips/pretzels,crackers options were completely soggy because they were not covered or sealed either.
What would you do differently?:

Carry the bigger water bottle for map three.
Post race
Warm down:

It was nice that they had showers there and I could at least rinse off before heading back to the hotel.

The post race food was very unappealing. They had pizza, burgers, and hot dogs but it all looked like it had been sitting out for hours and there was no way I was going to eat it. Grabbed a small bag of fritos which was the only thing I could find that was sealed and left so I could go find some food. I would have hung around longer if I had felt comfortable eating something there.

Last updated: 2012-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
10:08:34 | 50 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 11/33
Performance: Good
Course: The reason I decided to do this race is because this is the venue for the Rocky Racoon 100 in February. While I did not run all the trail that is used for Rocky I did run most of it and from talking to people, it sounds like there won't be any big surprises. The trail that I did not get to see will be just more of the same. This was a 12.5 mile loop done 4 times. I found it a bit confusing. I could never figure out where I was in relation to the map that I had studied pretty closely. But with that said, it wsa well marked and I was never in fear of being lost.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-12-03 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: Texas Trail Run 50 Mile

2012-12-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4520245

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Texas Trail Run 50 Mile

Nice run! I am looking forward to Rocky as well.  I wouldn't expect the ground to get much harder though.  It doesn't get cold enough in this part of the country for a "good freeze."  We're lucky if it hits 32 degrees for a week straight, and that would be a low not a high!

Last year it rained all night before the race and most of the day.  It was a giant mud fest.  Made the race much more interesting and a lot tougher!  I'm just hoping it will be dry this year.

Good luck!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Trail Run 50 Mile Rss Feed