Tulsa Route 66 Marathon, Inc.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 50s
Overall Rank = 2637/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 234/361
Pre-race routine:

Drove up the day before with Mary and Chris. Mary was doing her first half with me and Chris was doing the full. On Friday went to my PT and he taped my foot and calf to try and help. It seemed to do ok. No more green Mizuno shoes. White are fine, green are not (even though they are the same brand style - both are Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s). :(
Event warmup:

Got up at 545, got dresses, ate a 1/2 bagel with PB and grabbed a banana and water and went down to grab the shuttle with Mary and Chris. Ate banana on the shuttle, drank some water and gatoraide before getting in the corrale.
Run
  • 2h 33m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Mary and I started off at a 10:30/mile pace - knew that was too fast for me but wasn't in pain so I went with it. About mile and a half we had a huge mile long hill. It just wore on me. Feet started to hurt about mile 4 and I told Mary to go ahead I would try to keep up but I was starting to hurt (was expected). The uneven surfaces I was told by my dr would not help my feet. Had pain going up hills but not down or not much on flat so I walked the uphills and ran as best I could on the flats. By mile 6.5 my feet were really starting to hurt. So I told myself I would run as much as I could. Which turned into running about 3/4 of a mile and walking the last 1/4 and doing it all over again. That 1/4 of a mile walk helped my feet calm down because by mile 9 my feet were cramping in the arch of my foot (problem area). Hit the aid station at mile 12 and took some shot bloks. Walked to 12.5 and ran the rest of the way in. I was cramped up by the time I crossed the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured going into the race. Get the feet/calf problems straightened out.
Post race
Warm down:

Mary could barely walk due to knee pain so I helped limp her around. We went to get in line for the massage but hopped out to go watch Chris finish. Came back and got massaged, grabbed the shuttle back to the hotel. Change and then drive 2 hours home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The problems with my feet/arches. Dr thought and had been treating a calf problem - which actually had to do with a muscle that runs through/underneath my arch.

Event comments:

I rate it average since as of right now I have only done this race twice. :)

Last updated: 2012-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:33:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/361
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Hills through mile 6, then pretty flat. Roads were patched a lot or had holes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-12-04 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Ankeny, Iowa
Subject: Route 66 Half Marathon

2012-12-04 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4521924

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Route 66 Half Marathon
Way to persevere through the difficulties and cramps.  Awesome!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Route 66 Half Marathon Rss Feed