United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 10s
Overall Rank = 10/500
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/40
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't really hungry in the morning, but managed to choke down a granola bar and some water. I just didn't feel like my traditional oatmeal breakfast. No biggie, though.
Event warmup:

Got to packet-pickup at the "finish line YMCA" about 1 hour before the start. After they found our packets, we finally got on the bus to take us to the "starting line YMCA."
I jogged for about 6 mins, then stretched for a bit while waiting for a restroom to open up at a nearby construction site. Then I laced up my new kicks nice and snug, wished the wife good luck, and took my place near the front of the pack.
Run
  • 18m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

If I remember correctly, this is my fastest 5k ever. Even in my high school career, I don't recall running better than this.
From the get-go, I jumped out with the quicker runners, as did many people. The majority dropped off in the first 1/2 mile, though. Right away, the leaders put a sizeable gap on the rest of the field. i could tell they were the area's top high school athletes, capable of running 16-17min times. I let them go, and just clung to the front 10 runners or so. For about 2/3 of the race, I was by myself it seemed. No athletes within about a 50m cushion on both sides until the final 1/2 mile or so. At that point, a young kid passed me (probably 14 or 15), and winning female as well. Could I have dug deeper and held them off? Perhaps. But thoughts kept going through my head about how miserable I felt after my race the previous weekend. I used some discretion and just stuck to my pace. They only ended up beating me by 5 or 10 seconds. That's no problem, since I could tell they weren't in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing. I surprised myself immensely. I've never won a race before, so this was very exciting.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and headed back down the course to give Laura some support down the home-stretch. then we both stretched and ate oranged and waited around to see how the top finishers came in. honestly, i was just curious to see how far off i would be from a placing time. i shocked to hear my name in the #1 slot. woohoo!

Event comments:

no water station, like was promised. no marked miles, like they said they would. they lost our packets. finish line food left quite a bit to be desired.
however, that stuff didn't affect me, and i enjoyed the competition, so i got what i came for.

Last updated: 2006-06-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:10 | 03.11 miles | 05m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/40
Overall: 10/500
Performance: Good
There was only a mile marker at #2. At that point, my watch read 11:28. I chose not to wear the HR monitor just to take a break from it, and see how I would do without it.
Course: Point-to-point course. Mile incline/declines. Generally flat and fast. Shade here and there.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Kirkwood 2 Webster Connection Run

2006-06-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #465532

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Kirkwood 2 Webster Connection Run

Holy sh*t Brandon, that's freaking fast!!!! Great job. Another AG win for you.  You still gonna hang with us MOPs and BOP as you rise to stardom? Wink

How did Laura do? 

2006-06-26 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO

Great job!  How do you feel?

What was the wife's time?  How'd she feel?

2006-06-26 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
haha, sarah! don't worry, i won't forget where i came from. my humble roots will always be remembered.

i felt pretty good after walking around for a minute at the finish. i never felt ill, so i know didn't go overboard on this one.

i was so proud of laura. she did great! she was in around 27-28 mins. i was just happy she worked hard, AND had a good time. it was fun to trade race stories. who we saw, who we passed, or were passed by, stuff like that.
2006-06-26 1:13 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Wow! Really fast! You have made your mark on the Kirkwood running scene.
Great to meet you and your wife--is she hooked on racing now?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kirkwood 2 Webster Connection Run Rss Feed