4 Peaks Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

Women started later in the day, but I showed up at 7:00 to rack my bike. I got a great spot so it was worth it. I then went back to my hotel and went back to sleep for a couple hours. After I got up for the second time I put on my suit and shorts and drank a bit, then headed to the tri.
Event warmup:

I walked around and did some light stretching. I saw a guy getting help from an ambulance. He had what looked like pretty bad road rash on his back. I hope he was okay. I headed to the pool to get in my time slot.
Swim
  • 09m 25s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

I seeded myself with the 8:30 swimmers, which is what I know I am easily capable of doing without exerting too much energy. As soon as they started you could see people did not seed themselves appropriatly. With only a few people in the water there were already a few jams. When I got in it was fine. I passed 4-5 people in my first go round, and no one passed me. I jumped out and ran to the start, and right away I was blocked in by 2 ladies. I had to fight traffic the rest of the 200M. There was a lady trying to be nice holding up the lane line for people to go under, which is nice and all, but it is a race and too many people were standing around causing jams. Way better than my last tri where people were grabbing and kicking, etc. Overall it wasn't too bad, not what I am capable of, but way better than the Thanksgiving tri.
What would you do differently?:

I think I will join a masters swimming class. I also think I will seed myself a bit higher next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This was an estimate based on what my boyfriend timed my transition at. In reality this time is included in the bike time. Everything was going quick, but when I went to put on my cycling shoes the strap got caught in the buckle. I really struggled with it and it wasted a ton of time.

Practice more with my shoes? I practiced with them a lot, this was kind of a freak incident. Also, next season I plan on having my shoes on the bike already. This would not solve the strap issue, but it will help in other areas.
Bike
  • 42m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I measured the course 2 times before the race and it was long. I measured it with my GPS and got 13.3 miles and with my bike and got 13.1. I am anal about courses being what they are stated to be so I can set an accurate goal time.

I've been training hills and it semi paid off here. I couldn't get my head into it. I was overly concerned about the run (my worst part) and ended up not exerting myself enough. I think I could have cut off another 3-4 minutes if I wasn't so cautious. The hills were not too bad. The own hill part I flew in aero at 29mph. I need to not hold back on the hills. I was too concerned about killing my legs. I passed a lot of people and I was passed by 3 women total. It was the 1st and 2nd place girl, the other was not in my age group.

Push harder!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Went okay. I almost fell getting off my bike, then almost tipped my bike over. It was a mess. I was very rehersed and I have never had so many transition issues before.

Practice practice practice.
Run
  • 34m 15s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was long too. I measured 3.4 miles with my gps and 3.3 with my bike.

I knew this would be bad before I started. Running is not good for me. I recently ran a 5k at a 9:10 pace and I had a cold so I was hoping get in 9:30 a mile here. I failed miserably. I actually felt great off the bike (too great) and I knew that the last 1.5ish miles would be a hill, so I just ran casually on the downhill. I didn't realize how casually until I finished and saw my time! The uphill I didn't push too much harder, I just kept my steady pace and when I finished I was tired but I felt like I could run more...not a good sign. Overall my running holds me back. I can run 1 mile in 8:00 and then it just goes down from there.

Push harder, and do more tempo runs.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't too tired. I walked around, drank some water and cleaned up my spot. I knew I didn't place. I should have entered the Athena divition. I would have been 2nd! I think people are surprised by me sometimes. I am not skinny but I can compete and a couple girls (skinny athletic looking things) came up to me after and said they were surprised when I flew by them on the bike. I'll take it as a compliment. Once I fix my run I'll be in good shape.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me!

Event comments:

I'd love to do this race again. I would want to cut about 20 minutes off my time by next year. Which I think I can do. I somehow did not push myself hard enough and I don't know why. I need to work on pacing a bit more.

Last updated: 2012-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:25 | 400 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Serpintine swim in a 25M pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:13 | 13.1 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Some hills and a nice 1 mile downhill with another nice .5 mile flat section.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:15 | 03.3 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/18
Performance: Bad
Course: Downhill then up.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-11 5:13 PM

Subject: Anthem Holiday Classic Triathlon

2012-12-12 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4531434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Anthem Holiday Classic Triathlon

Congrats! It sounds like the swim was crazy. It's frustrating when people don't seed themselves well Undecided Nice job on the bike and keep working on the running.

I've been wanting to do this tri for a couple of years, but it's always been toward the end of marathon buildup and didn't fit the schedule. I'm not planning on doing a marathon next year, so maybe I'll see you out there!

2012-12-14 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4531434

Subject: RE: Anthem Holiday Classic Triathlon

Thanks! It really is a great Tri. The competition level is very high as well. Lots of very good people show up. I think my season will start in February. There are a couple warm-up ones in February and March. My goal is the Nathan at the end of the year and getting a competative time. Maybe I'll see you out there before December!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Holiday Classic Triathlon Rss Feed