General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Kids Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-26 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Training with Kids Question

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm at a loss here.  DH and I are 3 weeks into our 12-week sprint training plan, and DD1 (age 11) is back from her summer vacation to Las Vegas, and wants to start training with us.  How do I incorporate her into our training? 

Swim - the lap swim at the rec center says she can't swim laps with us because it's 15 and up...

Bike - she is unable at this point to keep up with our mileage and/or speed

Run - She can run 1-1.5 miles slowly (this morning was 12min pace)

How do I include her in our training without slacking on our own training?  With unlimited hours in a day, this would not be an issue, however, DH and I train together and thus, this limits our training time, so we must make the most of it.

Suggestions GREATLY welcome.

2006-06-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: #466155

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Training with Kids Question
My daughter, now 13, started training for triathlon when she was 11 years old and my husband has been her primary training partner since the beginning. Even now, when my husband trains with her, it is her pace, her time and her distance. If he wants to go faster or farther, he does it before or after he trains with her.

Swim: I would ask your facility management if you daughter can swim in your lane with you during lap swim. At our pool, if she is swimming laps and sharing a lane with a parent, it would not be a problem.

Bike: Can she bike with you while you warm-up, take a break and then pick-up at the end of your ride as you are warming down? This would require you to ride loops to/from a safe place for her to rest. This is how we started with my daughter. She would ride 20 minutes or so, we would continue on for an hour or so and then we would swimg by the house and ride with her for another 20 minutes or so. Even now, when my husband does his long ride, he will ride for 90 minutes, then swing by and pick-up my daughter for another 90 minutes or so.

Run: I would try to do the same thing with the run. If she can run 1-1.5 miles, let her run with you while you do your warm-up and if she is up to it, while you do your warm down.

You are very lucky to have a child, particularly a daughter, who actually wants to train. I would try to include her in your training as best you can. Good luck!
2006-06-26 2:28 PM
in reply to: #466210

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Hermom - 2006-06-26 3:23 PM
My daughter, now 13, started training for triathlon when she was 11 years old and my husband has been her primary training partner since the beginning. Even now, when my husband trains with her, it is her pace, her time and her distance. If he wants to go faster or farther, he does it before or after he trains with her.

Swim: I would ask your facility management if you daughter can swim in your lane with you during lap swim. At our pool, if she is swimming laps and sharing a lane with a parent, it would not be a problem.

Bike: Can she bike with you while you warm-up, take a break and then pick-up at the end of your ride as you are warming down? This would require you to ride loops to/from a safe place for her to rest. This is how we started with my daughter. She would ride 20 minutes or so, we would continue on for an hour or so and then we would swimg by the house and ride with her for another 20 minutes or so. Even now, when my husband does his long ride, he will ride for 90 minutes, then swing by and pick-up my daughter for another 90 minutes or so.

Run: I would try to do the same thing with the run. If she can run 1-1.5 miles, let her run with you while you do your warm-up and if she is up to it, while you do your warm down.

You are very lucky to have a child, particularly a daughter, who actually wants to train. I would try to include her in your training as best you can. Good luck!

VERY COOL PARENTS YOU TWO ARE! to support her the way you do.
I hope my daughter desires to train with me one day. Only two right now and she's already immitating me when I stretch.

2006-06-26 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
Is she actually wanting to train for a triathlon with you, or just hang out with you? My 12-year-old son will sometimes ride his bike with me while I run and we have some great talks during that time. I also have a tandem bicycle, so we can ride that together. As for the swim (well my logs have no swimming in them right now!) but last summer, I would take him to the Y with me, and he would take a friend and play on the outdoor skate park while I swam. Also, when I would do track workouts, he liked to go to the track with me and he and his buddies would play in the "pits" for the high jump or play football on the field while I ran laps. So, those were ways for him to be "close" even if we weren't doing the same exact activity.
2006-06-26 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Some good ideas here already.

If she can swim and swims in your lane I don't see a problem.  Don't tell the person at the desk that she's 11.  What they don't know won't hurt them.  The age limit is probably because kids mess around in the lap pool and they don't want that happening.  Edit: Ok, ask them the reason for the age limit first.  If it's for insurance purposes or something then I'd respect it, if not, then no.

Maybe she could ride her bike while you run.

Maybe you could do some of your run workouts on an out and back or loop course so she could run her pace, and you could run yours and then run one or two loops together at her pace.

Maybe do your big bike workouts before she gets up in the morning, and then go on a ride at her pace later.

Figure something out, cause her desire to train and be with you guys is precious.  I only wish my kids were into any of this at all.  And really, what's more important?  Your sprint, or spending time with your daughter before she grows up and is gone?

2006-06-26 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado

We had discussed training with her at her pace & distance on the bike and run, and then going out and doing our own training as well.  The workouts with her would simply be our warm ups.   The swim is the biggest concern at this point.  I will ask the management when we next go.  DH and I usually share a lane though, so we'll work this one out somehow.

As for the desire to spend time with us or to do a tri, I think it's both.  She did a kid's race last summer and LOVED it.  Loves telling everyone she's a triathlete.  She's got another one coming up July 4th and the only concern I have for her is the swim since she's not had a lot of practice.

Thanks for the ideas.  We'll figure it out somehow... I thought also about concentrating on HER training after our A race in September... that way we can slow our own training down and simply work with her.

I am extremely proud of her motivation and desire to do this like us. 

2006-06-26 3:31 PM
in reply to: #466318

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

DH and I usually share a lane though, so we'll work this one out somehow.

Circle swim.  You don't have to split the lane.  (By the way, you always circle on the right--hand side of the lane, just like driving a car.) What might work is you guys go on say 10 second intervals, and she starts last.  If she's a lot slower than you (likely) she'll be finishing up the 50 while you guys are coming in at 100.  (i.e. you completed two laps and she's done one.)

Then rest for say 10 seconds and repeat.  Very good way for her to be with you at the pool.  OR if you're doing a longer set you either agree that you'll pass her as needed, or she'll check to see if you're right behind her at the wall and then wait for you to go by before she pushes off again.    This way she could be doing sets of 25's or 50's while you guys are doing longer sets.

2006-06-26 6:04 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My three daughters 11, 10, and 7 do triathlons. Our 11 year old does sprints and really trains the other two just do kid triathlons.

<

Swim - the lap swim at the rec center says she can't swim laps with us because it's 15 and up...>> I go with all 3 daughters or just oldest one, I swim, she does some laps then goes plays and alternates between swimming laps and playing in the water with her sisters. We go to family swim with 2 lap lanes and rest open for kids. It is hard to do lap swimming well so I do it as an extra or short workout. But it brings me joy to have my daughter swim with me. She actually can swim 100's faster than I do and she practices less than 10% of the time I do.

Bike - she is unable at this point to keep up with our mileage and/or speed>> I ride 2-3 times a week with Emily she is slower so I use it as my warm up. In a quiet subdivision with little traffic and great roads, we started a new game we play tag or chase. After warming up for 15 minutes or so, I take the lead and have her chase me down, I watch her speed and adjust my pace to keep her trying to catch up...great interval work. She likes to lead as otherwise she gets dropped by accident. She used her paper route money and bought a Trek 1000 road bike. One of the great things I do in long rides, is ride with Emily and sometimes my husband for maybe 5-10 miles which is normally a very slow warm up and then ride...often those are my best long rides as I actually warmed up correctly.

Run - She can run 1-1.5 miles slowly (this morning was 12min pace)>> Emily runs faster than I do, so if she does a brick I'll ride along slowly to keep her company and encourage her. We also do track workouts, Emily does what I do but less repeats, my other daughter come along and I design a track workout for them which gets them a1-1.5 miles of running in. We call them the Graves' Girls track workout...great mom/daughter girl power stuff. Emily and I are doing a Mom-Daughter 5K race next month...she'll be lots faster than I am.

Sometimes Emily comes first and I adjust my training, other times I do my training plan.

2006-06-26 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

This is a GREAT discussion.

I'm guessing the "keep up with Dad or get left behind" idea isn't what you want to hear.

Seriously, I LOVE to include my kids in my training as well. Bringing them to the track with me works really well...learned the hard way, though, that you need to find a track that offers convenient access to a bathroom (especially when girls and "number two" are involved). Hill repeats that begin or end at a cul-de-sac are kid-friendly as well. Both offer the ability to keep an eye on the kids AND the opportunity for them to participate at their own pace without slowing you down. I have to say, running up our "killer hill" with my 5 and 7 year olds, one holding each hand, has been one of my training highlights.

I bring the kids with me to my rec center pool every Sunday. Started out just having them stay at the side of the pool while I do my laps...then playing with them for an hour or so after. Now, my 9 year old swims a few laps of his own in the lane next to me while I'm swimming. Swim lanes are easy to come by and they don't have the age restriction yours has. BTW...can you imagine how much incentive this provides my younger ones to learn how to swim themselves. It's working.

I hadn't figured out how to incorporate them into my biking workouts, either. Some good ideas so far, though.

I wonder how difficult it would be to compile a list of BT Bloggers that train with their kids? Reading training logs would be a great way to learn from and encourage each other.

2006-06-28 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
I just had to let you guys know.....  DD has a triathlon coming up and I was worried about her possibly not being able to do the swim since she can't swim with us during lap swim..... well, today we went during open swim and she swam 200Y in about 5 minutes, and that was weaving in and around people.... so no worries now I guess.  I'm SO proud of her!!!  I also checked into her doing the swim team, figuring that would give her good pool time and help her technique/speed.  Any thoughts on that? 
2006-06-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: #468954

Extreme Veteran
I highly recommend your daughter join the swim team. It is a lot of fun and the best aerobic training for kids. She will meet lots of like-minded kids. Plus, when she gets into high school, dual meet swimming is really fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Kids Question Rss Feed