BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-01-04 11:58 PM
in reply to: #4548156

User image

Regular
Spokane
Subject: RE: T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed

Hello everyone. I just got back from a 1000yd swim that was really rough. I've only been going about once every 1-2 weeks so my swim fitness is really lacking right now.   I need to get my butt in gear and start going at least 3 times a week.  This is the first time all winter that I've really felt like I've lost speed.

In addition to increasing my swim workouts, I've really been thinking about doing some sort of bike focus by the end of February to get me ready for spring. I'm not sure how long it should entail?  I'm thinking it should last around 1-2 weeks. I figured the only other workouts I would do during this period is swim occasionally since it helps me with recovery. What do you guys think? If any of you have done this, what type of workouts on the trainer were you doing? 

Btw, my 1st Oly won't be until May if that makes any difference. 

2013-01-05 4:11 AM

New user
Outside Nashville
I am a complete noob so I do not have any useful info but I wish you luck!
2013-01-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4563152

User image

Regular
Spokane

Firemedic623 - 2013-01-05 2:11 AM I am a complete noob so I do not have any useful info but I wish you luck!

Thanks Firemedic! 

On another note,  I'm gonna try and get a 5 mile run in today sometime.  Hopefully I'll be able to get an hour ride on the trainer as well but we have some family coming over today to watch my beloved Gonzaga basketball team play.  GO ZAGS!!

2013-01-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4556678

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
handyhammer - 2013-01-01 3:58 PM

Hey those are some good questions.    first question not on this post, was about your logs.   put your workouts there and I will take a look at them.  I am going to put some workouts up on the forum as examples and other ideas to keep workouts interesting.   If you get a good one please share it.  

1.  spin classes vary alot.   it really depends on the instructor, but I would say 90 percent are good classes and you will burn good calories and build some great power in the legs for the bike.    Dont worry about the other people with in 3 minutes you all will be huffing and puffing so much you wont notice anyone and they wont notice you.    Items to take a bike water bottle to fit the cup holder, I like to take a hand towel to keep the sweat out of my eyes.   

2 On the swim shorts,  I use the lyca swimshorts that look to be pasted on.  I buy them at swimoutlet.com   normally for less than 15 bucks a pair, should last about 4 months.    if you see them start to get the little white fibers in the crotch area.   get a new pair fast you are close to a blow out.  (per experience)   

3.  bike trainer.  I like the bike trainer through the winter to keep up some miles, it is also great to be able to make some adjustment to seat height, bars ect.    After you make some adjustments go hit the road for a bit to make sure it really works and is comfortable.   You do not have to worry about stability on a trainer so sometimes we sit on a bike a little different.  You bike shop should also get you fit in a bit to get started.  

Great advice, Dave. I added some of my thoughts on spin classes at the link below and on my blog. As for swim shorts, I used to do the same thing until I bought a pair of Speedo Endurance. One year of a ton of swimming and they still look good as new. Totally worth it.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=473631&posts=1#M4563547

2013-01-05 8:32 PM

New user
Outside Nashville

Man I cant believe you caught so much hell for your blog.  I for one will say thank you for the advice. 

As for my day today I had a great day training.   

2013-01-06 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Finally recovered from the flu enough to get in a couple of short (and slow) runs this weekend.

Plan to be back in the gym and hit the bike for Monday.

2013-01-06 9:21 AM

New user
Outside Nashville

I am glad your feeling better. 

I had a great run on the treadmill this morning, I could really feel the push by the end.  I also got in my second core workout, should be moving up the ladder with those  as the exercises are coming easier now.

I think I have swimming lessons in the morning but I was also wanting to do a spin class.  Those two should be no problem together but I wanted an opinion on something.  I would love to get my strength training in tomorrow as well and have an off day Tuesday ... do you think swim / spin then eat well / take a nap and do strength training in the afternoon would be to much?  Btw my next strength training is for legs / shoulders.

Edited by Firemedic623 2013-01-06 9:23 AM
2013-01-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4564419

User image

Regular
Spokane
Firemedic623 - 2013-01-06 7:21 AM

I think I have swimming lessons in the morning but I was also wanting to do a spin class.  Those two should be no problem together but I wanted an opinion on something.  I would love to get my strength training in tomorrow as well and have an off day Tuesday ... do you think swim / spin then eat well / take a nap and do strength training in the afternoon would be to much?  Btw my next strength training is for legs / shoulders.

I don't do any strength training at all so I can't give any help.  Maybe I should start lifting? Do you think strength training helps your triathlon performance or do you strength train for overall fitness benefits without regard to triathlon?

Edited by littlewj 2013-01-06 10:40 AM
2013-01-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4564394

User image

Regular
Spokane
Dominion - 2013-01-06 6:53 AM

Finally recovered from the flu enough to get in a couple of short (and slow) runs this weekend.

Plan to be back in the gym and hit the bike for Monday.

I'm starting to feel better now too!!  I've got a trainer ride I want to do today and possibly a short 3 mile run.  After that,  I just might have a couple of beers to end the weekend!!

2013-01-06 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4564514

New user
Outside Nashville

I don't do any strength training at all so I can't give any help.  Maybe I should start lifting? Do you think strength training helps your triathlon performance or do you strength train for overall fitness benefits without regard to triathlon?

This is my first year doing triathlons but I can not see it hurting.  I do it for overall fitness and weight loss.  I also do it at a vigorous pace to help with muscle endurance.  You dont have to do crazy weight but a solid routine would probably help out.

2013-01-06 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
jenks

Hey guys sounds like people are getting a bit better.  I had to fight off a touch of something myself.   On your swim and spin workouts,   I combine the two at least once a week.   You can get some great muscle endurance training when combining multiple disciplines.   

Mr. Journey you are welcome to drop in some advice whenever you want.   Glad you checked in, and hope to get some rides in with you soon.   I am looking at doing a garage duathlon next week if you want to join.   

Just to let the other guys know he is fast really fast I have been chasing him for years.    

When combining workouts try to add in some core work with your disciplines.    A strong core equals power and speed.   

2013-01-06 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
jenks

As for strength training questions.   Last year I change my workout style and cut the miles down and added core and crossfit style workouts.   I rode about 1/2 the miles and performed better at the sprint tri distance.    With saying that I did not do the conventional lifting of moving heavy weights.    I worked on speed lifts and movements that evolve the whole body.      

Air squats 

walking lunges, 

box jumps 

jump rope 

pushups 

pullups. 

are some of my favorite that heavily envolve the muscles for triathlon.   

2013-01-06 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
littlewj - 2013-01-06 11:34 AM
Firemedic623 - 2013-01-06 7:21 AM

I do it for overall fitness.  I've been lifting far longer than training for Triathlon so I really can't say if it helps me in the sport or not.  I don't usually lift real heavy and am not trying to gain any bulk.  My workouts are almost like an endurance event, lots of high reps with relatively low weights and almost no rest between sets.  My lifting program was developed more for my job than for triathlon.  And while my job as a firefighter certainly requires strength, it requires endurance even more.  The ability to keep working through muscular fatigue is essential.

2013-01-06 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4564552

New user
Outside Nashville
handyhammer - 2013-01-06 11:12 AM

As for strength training questions.   Last year I change my workout style and cut the miles down and added core and crossfit style workouts.   I rode about 1/2 the miles and performed better at the sprint tri distance.    With saying that I did not do the conventional lifting of moving heavy weights.    I worked on speed lifts and movements that evolve the whole body.      

Air squats 

walking lunges, 

box jumps 

jump rope 

pushups 

pullups

are some of my favorite that heavily envolve the muscles for triathlon.   

Ahaha I tried to jump rope a week or so ago and WOW its so much harder then when I was a kid.

I did 10 pushups with my legs on a FB this morning, they were the first push ups I have done in many years.  It was a good feeling; my shoulders have a hard time bearing all of my weight.

I have N E V E R been able to do a pull up and its almost one of those fantasy dreams of mine that one day I can do them and make them look easy like so many people do.  I cant even do 1 with full assistance from the machine at the gym. Cry

Edited by Firemedic623 2013-01-06 7:14 PM
2013-01-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4565085

User image

Veteran
jenks

I trainer I respect a lot told me that if I do pushups from a normal plank position it is great but when my arms begin to fail I get more benefit from doing them off my knees with a straight back than loosing form and trying to get through with poor form.    I do a lot of pushups from my knees.    

Swim day WOD 

150 WU (Warm Up)

3x250 

CD   

You can also break that down into shorter distances.   I also like doing 100 repeats just do not give yourself a big break.     Have a great workout. 

2013-01-07 3:52 PM

New user
Outside Nashville
Well the gym sure did kick my today. Did 1000m in the pool and went straight to spin class. The spin class was fun and challenging with a great instructor. I can't wait to get my bike though so I can ride outside.

I hope everyone has a great day!!

2013-01-08 4:40 AM

New user
Gold Coast

I have just caught up on some of the talk it is great, glad everyone is getting training done.

I joined a cycle squad on Sat.  I have a RETRO bike and was in my runners and running gear we were cycling round a cycle track so no traffic.  I now have cycling shoes and cleats and even a cycle shirt and shorts.....I am still too scared to go out on the road but am sure the guys will get me to the road.  Have been practicing standing still and getting in and out of the cleats.  Gonna try out a quiet car park before next training on Sat.

Ok swimming!!  Another thing I'm crap at.  I have been using my flippers in squad the coach said I need to try to get my upper body stronger.  Should I be trying to take them off?  I do a little with out them. In squad we do around 2500-3000m.  I have 13 weeks to my first sprint tri.

Thanks guys, hope training goes well this week.

2013-01-08 4:45 AM

New user
Gold Coast
BTW Congrates on passing your national registry test that is awesome Dave.
2013-01-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4567418

User image

Veteran
jenks

On the swim I would start working in time with a pull bouey.   You can put it between your legs to give your lower body a bit of floatation assistance then use your arms for the pulling.   It is a great way to add some strength for the upper body.    

I also recommend that if you use any assistance device that you then need to swim unassisted directly after.   Our minds tend to make us dependant on these things very quickly and this helps to keep that from happening.    

If I use flippers or floats I will do a 50 with the assist then 50 or 100 without.   

Hope that helps.    

Thank you everyone for the thanks on my test and Yes it was my first attempt.     Under the new testing and rules we only had 6 people pass out of 23.   Everyone that has been around it for a while says it is much harder now.    

2013-01-08 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4564064

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Firemedic623 - 2013-01-05 8:32 PM

Man I cant believe you caught so much hell for your blog.  I for one will say thank you for the advice. 

Part of it was lack of clarification on my part creating misunderstanding (which created good feedback for me to update my blog with when I get time), some was due to reading comprehension failure on the part of others, and a small part was simply disagreement. Doesn't bother me tho. I don't post on here often enough for most to realize the extent of my knowledge base, and the constructive feedback was exactly what I was looking for.

2013-01-08 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4564548

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
handyhammer - 2013-01-06 11:05 AM   

Mr. Journey you are welcome to drop in some advice whenever you want.   Glad you checked in, and hope to get some rides in with you soon.   I am looking at doing a garage duathlon next week if you want to join.   

Just to let the other guys know he is fast really fast I have been chasing him for years.    

A garage duathlon sounds brilliant! Since I started working again, I've been working so much I've barely had time to train, much less with other people. Make sure to let me know. I'll find the time. If you don't have my number, grab it from FB and send me a text.

2013-01-08 9:55 PM

New user
Gold Coast

Wow only 6 passes you really blitzed it.

Thanks Hammer I have been using a pull bouy and love it.  I did a receovery swim today because my legs were a bit stiff from the run and didn't use flippers.  I have looked at a couple of swim sites and am trying to get the body (shoulder) roll happening, it feels really good when I get it right or what I think is right. 

Spin session tomorrow.

Happy training everyone.

2013-01-08 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane
Just finished a 1 hour Trainer Road session. Lots of fun & highly recommended. Unfortunately I need to get in for a bike fit.  My knees start to hurt when I'm pushing harder gears.  I moved my seat to a more forward position a couple of days ago just to see how it would feel.  I'm really comfortable on the aerobars though!
2013-01-09 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4569188

Englefeld

Hey littewj, I just signed up for TrainerRoad and did my 20 minute test yesterday. I have never worked so hard on the bike before. I think it will be a great tool to improve the bike and I agree with your recommendation.

I don't have a power meter but their virtual power had my ftp at only 102 watts. Which seems really low, but as long as the wattage is consistent, It can use it to track improvements.

2013-01-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4569367

User image

Veteran
jenks

I like the trainer workouts you are doing.   Sometimes the trainer can get a bit boring so that is a great way to keep it interesting.    

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 Spring training 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 17