Blue Sky Sports
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 297/379
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Long hour and a half drive to the venue. Ate some carbs on the way. I'll admit to a weakness for chocolate covered donuts, so I always have either one regular size or a whole pack of miniatures along with a banana before each race. It's comfort food. A large tankard of black coffee is essential. I try to stay calm and relaxed by listening to early morning talk radio, which is always health, financial, gardening, fishing, and such, nothing controversial.
Event warmup:

Riffed some freestyle. The water at 80F was warmer than the air at 78F. I then sat in shallow water to stay warm and did some stretching. The announcer kept reminding everyone that this was a non-wetsuit legal race so anyone that wore one would be ineligible for awards. I had a thought that the slow swimmers that have good bikes and runs should throw on their wetsuits and cause some interesting finishes
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went out hard with the 40 and up male wave, which was the third wave to start. I started to the inside and had clear water to the first buoy 100 meters out. However it turns out that this was a fast crowd and I had to get into the mass to get around the buoy and then spent the next 150 meters getting clobbered and swum over. It was the worst I have ever experienced. One guy left-hooked me in the eye and knocked my right goggle off. Luckily I had put my goggle strap under my cap and was able to easily stop for a few seconds and reseat the goggle. I was wearing contacts so I was especially sensitive to getting any water in the goggles. I was swimming really hard so I was stunned when I got passed by the first pink capped women when I was just maybe about 350 meters into the swim. The waves were 3 minutes apart and all I can say is that some of the women are amazingly fast. By the time I came out of the water about 8 to 10 had passed me. The water exit led to a steep uphill path that was muddy and slick. The run to T1 was probably on the order of 200 meters. I ended up finishing 3rd of 13 in my age group, my best performance of the day.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably start to the outside and start easy to let the crazy ones get going and then try to avoid the slower guys by swimming wide around them. It's just not worth getting beat up to swim with the pack.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

The transition area was on grass, mud, and gravel with a rocky run to a short, steep, paved drive that joined the road where the mounting line was located. I decided to run this barefoot and put my socks on when I got on the pavement to try not to get muddy. I had left one cage on the bike and I put a water bottle in it to wash my feet before putting on socks. Well, none of this worked out. I had to lay down the bike to get my socks on and this caused me to lose about half of the Gatorade in my aero-bottle. I ended up muddy and frustrated. I then had trouble getting strapped into my shoes, which were already mounted on the bike.

If I do this race again I will probably race the bike in clips with toe straps and use light running shoes. This will allow an easy run to the mounting line and an easy mount up. It would also be easy to run back into transition from the dismount line. Plus I could do the 5K without changing shoes. It would be less power on the bike because of flexible soles but I think it would be better overall.
Bike
  • 44m 8s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I noticed a lot of people that were in packs and sort of drafting. Considering that I haven't ridden much lately I did OK but the ride with all the hills took a lot out of me. I lost most of my Gatorade when I laid the bike down coming out of T1 but I replenished it with water from the water bottle I have. That's a trick I've learned, to use a standard squirt bottle to reload your aero-bottle while still riding. The long uphill that started the race was a fast and fun ride downhill toward the dismount area but I lost some momentum due to sharp turns at the base of the hill and also because the park entrance had about 4 or 5 large paved rumble strip speed breakers that disrupted any attempt to sprint to the finish.

Toe clips and straps to ease the transitions and also get enough mileage in before the race so I'm not so out of breath coming into T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I normally get out of my bike shoes before the dismount line and run in socks into T2, but because of conditions I decided to leave my bike shoes on to protect my socks and feet from the mud and rocks. This made for an uncomfortable stop at the dismount line and a slippery clip-clop into T2. I started walking just before I racked my bike because I was so tired and the conditions were not good. I knew it would be a long 5K for me.

Toe clips and straps with running shoes for the bike leg.
Run
  • 35m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I took two Gatorade filled flasks from my running belt and put them into the back pockets of my Sugoi tri-top. This really helped because I needed a lift for the run. I came into T2 in the thick of the pack and then everyone passed me on the run. I think the only way I'm going to get noticably faster in the run is to lose some major weight.

I did all I could do, but training more and losing weight are obvious needs.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the lake to cool down and clean up because there were no shower facilities.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not prepared for the muddy conditions of the transition area. I also have neglected my training lately.

Event comments:

I believe that the transition should have been setup better and I don't understand why park speed breakers are not built with a narrow smooth pass through slot for cyclists. Transition areas should always be paved and the dismount line should be on a mostly flat area. I also think that the T1 timer should be at the water exit, not way off at the entrance to the transition area. The way these tri-the-parks races are setup you get an accurate run and bike time, but a skewed swim time.

Last updated: 2004-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 600 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 183/379
Performance: Below average
Here I will already complain that this time included a very long run to T1 and also that my new, second hand, timex lap watch failed me. Here's the details; I bought a 50 lap Timex for $20 from a guy at work that does tri's, because he had just got a new Timex lap watch for father's day. So when I came out of the water and hit the lap button I see that its flashing "RACE" or "RUN" and so I didn't get my actual water time. It turns out it was still timing me but I really wanted the "in the water" split. I know that I probably did something to mess it up but I really wanted that time.
Suit: Tri suit
Course: The course was a counter clockwise triangle with very warm and calm water. I decided to start to the inside of the course and initially this worked out well. I tried something different at the start. Everyone usually starts their watches and then lunges for the start. I started my watch at 5 seconds to go on the countdown and then was able to lunge without worrying about the watch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:44:08 | 12.8 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Overall: 246/379
Performance: Average
I actually did a little better than this time because I must have spent at least a minute putting on socks once I had passed the transition timer.
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with a large hill to start and several small but significant hills along the way. I'm a big guy so I would get passed going uphill and then repass the same folks going downhill. I do like the out and back format because it allows you to see everyone. Toward the finish I knew I was doing fairly well because I could see a huge bunch of bikes, maybe about 60 or 70, just ahead of me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:53 | 03.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 364/379
Performance: Below average
Course: The run started as a trail and then went on a hilly road around the park campgrounds.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2004-06-27 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: Indian Springs - Ga Tri-the-Parks

2004-06-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: #33872

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Indian Springs 2004 - Georgia Tri-the-Parks
very nice report jtee.  luv those details.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indian Springs - Ga Tri-the-Parks Rss Feed