of 7

2013-01-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4586456

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - Closed
neuronet - 2013-01-19 10:15 PM

• ..One thing I have noticed about most triathletes that post here, they tend to err on the side of training too much, not too little. ...

• An astute observation! But I'll qualify it a little bit. Many athletes try to train too much, too soon. When your body is properly conditioned, you can handle a lot of training (if you can find the time ;-) But a lot of beginners want to jump right into long workouts at high intensities. You've got to give yourself time to adjust to training load.

Think of training in terms of LIFT -- Load = Intensity + Frequency + Time. You don't want to increase your overall training Load by increasing Intensity, Frequency, and Time at the same time. Concentrate on one at a time. For example, the first step in training for a longer distance race might be to increase the Time of the workouts, i.e., make your long bikes longer. But don't try to add Intensity at the same time. For example, my cycling is in base training right now -- I rode 45 miles today in 2:53. The intensity was low, but the Time has increased over the past month. Later on will come more Intensity.

Ken

2013-01-20 2:50 PM
    in reply to: #4586291

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ranski - 2013-01-19 6:42 PM

Ken & neuronet

Happy to report that my swim on Friday was better.  

Great to hear! Keep it easy for a while and build up steadily.

Ken
    2013-01-20 2:52 PM
    in reply to: #4586274

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    neuronet - 2013-01-19 6:16 PM

Did a 14 minute swim today, focusing on high elbow catch, and pulling with my lats rather than my delts. It was an amazing difference, felt great. My form had gotten sloppy without me realizing it.

Form is so important in swimming. As my masters swim coach said to me once: "If strength were everything, a bull could catch a butterfly."

Ken
    2013-01-20 4:32 PM
    in reply to: #4552236

Western Isles, Scotland

Hello all,

This week has been a busy week with work and the weather, in an attempt to not let my fitness stagnate I've completed 2 x 25 length swims and a third 30 length swim, all frontcrawl with a 5 second gap between each length but no more, only if needed.  I still feel my swimming to be my weakness but this is due to my breathing technique I think.  Exhaling under water and breathing on either the third or fifth stroke, its my swim intensity and breathing i shall work on this week. maybe 2 x 35 lengths and a third 40 length swim.

With it being so cold and my overshoes in the post I opted for 3 gym sessions, running, cycling and rowing, all back to back with intreval training style workouts.  So after warmups the 10k run worked out doing 1k at 9k p/h, next 1k at 13k p/h.  The cycling I trialed 5k at 90 (cadence?) with a power output of 160, 1k at 90 (cadence) power 230. Similar idea with the rowing.

I'm trying to take on water in sips , although up to 2 ltrs of water seems to go down but generally only starting after 45 min and a whey protein shake once a day to aid my recovery as most days I'm doing a full 9 hour shift working on the backdoor of a busy supermarket.  A good 8 hours of sleep with an early night seems to be a must.

That is a summary of my first week, week no. 2 I hope to start logging using the android app to view my training plan and log workouts. 

2013-01-21 7:36 AM
    in reply to: #4587032

New user

Edited by hframmes 2013-01-21 7:37 AM
    2013-01-21 7:43 AM
    in reply to: #4587032

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Plummers86 - 2013-01-20 5:32 PM

Hello all,

This week has been a busy week with work and the weather, in an attempt to not let my fitness stagnate I've completed 2 x 25 length swims and a third 30 length swim, all frontcrawl with a 5 second gap between each length but no more, only if needed. I still feel my swimming to be my weakness but this is due to my breathing technique I think. Exhaling under water and breathing on either the third or fifth stroke, its my swim intensity and breathing i shall work on this week. maybe 2 x 35 lengths and a third 40 length swim.

Congrats on getting out and getting your work in. A couple of questions/observations:

What's the length of your pool? I'm curious how much yardage you're getting in.

Breathing -- I'd recommend working on getting in a breath every 2 strokes, i.e., every right stroke or every left stroke. If you breathe less, you'll be limiting how far or fast you can go aerobically. Now, some people will advocate taking a breath every 3 strokes. The benefit there is more for practice (strengthening each side equally and working on a balanced body rotation) -- but many good swim coaches say don't worry about that, just breath as much as you want.

With it being so cold and my overshoes in the post I opted for 3 gym sessions, running, cycling and rowing, all back to back with intreval training style workouts.

Just my two cents worth, but I wouldn't worry about structuring your training around intervals right now, particularly if these intervals are hard efforts. When you're starting an exercise program, or increasing the distance and time, keep the intensity low, and strive for steady, easy aerobic efforts.

Remember LIFT -- LOAD = INTENSITY + FREQUENCY + TIME. If you're increasing L (Load -- your overall work), don't try to increase more than one of the IFT factors at a time. In your case, build your time, then add frequency. You cap things off by adding intensity at the end, maybe even lowering the time and frequency when you do.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

2013-01-21 5:47 PM

Western Isles, Scotland

Ken,

Its a 25m pool, I realise this is not a great distance doing 600m a session but I do notice that after each length I'm puffed.  Until todays swim I had  put this down to my poor swim fitness, I'm now thinking that I should do more of a slow controlled kick, legs being big muscles using oxygen, and lessen the force I put into my stoke through the water.  My current 25m time is 24 sec which to me seems like sprinting so no wonder i'm puffed.  Tomorrow I aim to practice a 3rd stroke breathing pattern, relaxed kick synced with my body roll and less force to see if i can build on my distance without stopping.

Ok I'll switch my gym workouts to distnce, although i wonder if it's a good idea to keep my cycle cadence at 90 or should I also look at lowering this down to 70, does it matter?

My current aim is two strength days followed by swim, 3 cardio days, 1 days rest and 1 day light excercise, hiking or maybe even a game of squash, something different to give spice.  There are soo many things competing for my time  yet I find it hard to totally give up old hobbies or loves.

Chris

2013-01-22 8:19 AM
    in reply to: #4588411

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Plummers86 - 2013-01-21 6:47 PM

Ken,

Its a 25m pool, I realise this is not a great distance doing 600m a session but I do notice that after each length I'm puffed.  Until todays swim I had  put this down to my poor swim fitness, I'm now thinking that I should do more of a slow controlled kick, legs being big muscles using oxygen, and lessen the force I put into my stoke through the water. 

Hard to talk about swimming without seeing what you're doing, but don't try to lessen the force of your stroke -- that's your propulsive force -- what makes you move. Your plan seems good -- get a breathing rhythm and speed where you can maintain your pace. There's a time for sprinting, in fact, try to break your workout up into sections -- steady swimming, drills, then do some faster lengths.

Ok I'll switch my gym workouts to distnce, although i wonder if it's a good idea to keep my cycle cadence at 90 or should I also look at lowering this down to 70, does it matter?

I'd say keep your cadence high at this point, though there's nothing wrong with slowing down and kicking into a lower gear now and then to add a little variety.

My current aim is two strength days followed by swim, 3 cardio days, 1 days rest and 1 day light excercise, hiking or maybe even a game of squash, something different to give spice.  There are soo many things competing for my time  yet I find it hard to totally give up old hobbies or loves.

Chris

Sounds like a good balance to me!

Ken
    2013-01-22 7:02 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS

Ken:

How should I adjust for a missed workout?

1. Just skip it
    2. Add it to next day's workout
    3. Push everything back and skip the weeks rest day
    2013-01-22 7:08 PM

New user

Garner, Iowa

Ken (group),

It has been a long week with not too much training and too much hunting deer and coyotes.  

I will hit the pool tomorrow morning.  My question is a good way to keep track of laps.  After 25-30 mins. I am "lost" on how many laps and my pace.

My knee issue has been seen as an arthritis issue (i disagree), and after a cortizone shot I am good to "go"

2013-01-22 8:18 PM
    in reply to: #4590185

User image

Shawnee, KS

I had the same problem until I started writing down a swim plan for each workout.  This made it much easier to know how many laps I swam.

Check one of my earlier post where I outlined one of my swims.  As for pace, you might consider picking up a cheap Timex Ironman watch at Khols and utilize the lap button to keep track of pace. That is what I did for awhile. Those are my thoughts.

Any chance you might make the trip down to KC for the KC Tri in May.  This will be my first official race.

donj51 - 2013-01-22 7:08 PM

I will hit the pool tomorrow morning.  My question is a good way to keep track of laps.  After 25-30 mins. I am "lost" on how many laps and my pace.

2013-01-23 8:18 AM
    in reply to: #4590171

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ranski - 2013-01-22 8:02 PM

Ken:

How should I adjust for a missed workout?

1. Just skip it
    2. Add it to next day's workout
    3. Push everything back and skip the weeks rest day

I don't think there's one right answer here. Consistency is very important to our progress, so if possible it's a good policy to try to fit it in to the next day if possible.

BUT...

Consider the overall balance of the workouts. If intensity is generally low, and you're not adding on a lot of time to workouts (like building your long run), generally I'd say go for it. Say for example, you missed your swim, and the next day is a manageable run. In that case give it a go.

But if it's something like: missed swim workout on Tuesday; run and bike on Wednesday, it may be just as wise to simply forget about the swim. It happens.

Certainly you can use your rest day to make something up -- after all, if you missed your workout, you ended up with a rest day anyway! ;-)

Ken
    2013-01-23 8:33 AM
    in reply to: #4590185

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    donj51 - 2013-01-22 8:08 PM

Ken (group),

It has been a long week with not too much training and too much hunting deer and coyotes.  

My knee issue has been seen as an arthritis issue (i disagree), and after a cortizone shot I am good to "go"

Having a plan (as already pointed out) is a useful way to organize your swim workout. I've heard some good reviews of this book, though I've never used it personally.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=27506&Clic...

You'll find that swim workouts are rarely organized like run or bike workouts, i.e., go for a set distance or time. Generally there's a mix of elements: drills, kick sets, and intervals of varying distances and intensities. Even if you're a new swimmer, you can build your workout around that. Say you're going to do a tri with a 750 meter swim. A typical workout that you might do during your build up to the race could be something like this:

300 yards warmup and drills
    300 yards kick (6 x 50 yards with short rest interval)
    600 yards intervals, hard pace (6 x 100 with :15 rest)
    600 yards longer interval, steady-pace (2 x 300 yards, :30 rest)

As you progress as a swimmer, you'll increase overall distance and the amount of intensity. For example, most of my workouts recently have been around 3750-4000 yards, with about 2000-2400 yards of that as pretty high-intensity intervals. But believe me -- I didn't start my swimming career with those kind of workouts! ;-)

And learning your pace helps -- then you can sneak a peek at your watch and know how far you've gone. For example, if you can hold 1:40 for 100 yards, you know that every 5 minutes = 300 yards.

Glad to hear the knee's doing well!

Ken
    2013-01-24 9:56 AM
    in reply to: #4582117

Hi Ken,

So I was on week 12 of my HIM training which is the last week of the base building phase about 2 weeks ago.  I was put on an oral steroid for a hurniated disk which I had terrible side effects from and it prevented me from working out for about 4 days.  I went back to the gym, over did it I guess because I instantly developed plantar fasciitis in my foot.  Down another 3 days.  In trying to cure the fasciitis with ice packs, I wound up getting frost bite on my foot.  Overall, looks like by the time I get back on my feet it's going to be about 2 weeks down. 

Given my A race isn't until July 21, I have no idea where to pick up.  Do I casually work all three elements as excercise and enjoyment until I get 16 weeks out and then start the HIM training program over again or do I try and pick up where I left off focus on increasing time before transitioning to frequency and intensity or something different?

2013-01-24 3:00 PM
    in reply to: #4592712

User image

Veteran
    charlescriderjr - 2013-01-24 9:56 AM

Hi Ken,

So I was on week 12 of my HIM training which is the last week of the base building phase about 2 weeks ago.  I was put on an oral steroid for a hurniated disk which I had terrible side effects from and it prevented me from working out for about 4 days.  I went back to the gym, over did it I guess because I instantly developed plantar fasciitis in my foot.  Down another 3 days.  In trying to cure the fasciitis with ice packs, I wound up getting frost bite on my foot.  Overall, looks like by the time I get back on my feet it's going to be about 2 weeks down.

Dude, that sucks! Sorry to hear it. Injury is so freaking frustrating. I know a lot about injury unfortunately. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to take the first week to ease back in with each event, at a significantly lower intensity/duration (e.g., everything cut in half). If it is too little, it is easy to increase as soon as you want. Compare that with how long it takes to come back from an overuse injury if you rush back too soon.

But I am in the 'err on the side of less' school of training. Why overtrain when I can slightly undertrain and get fewer injuries

2013-01-24 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
    Subject: Swimming with emphasis on lats

When I swim I want to pull more with my lats, less with my little posterior/medial delts. Any good ways to train to do this? Biomechanically, it is impossible to use zero delts, the question is one of emphasis. How do I shift mine to a more back (lat/trap) driven stroke?

Is the key to roll the shoulder girdle to take as much power as I can, compared to simply rotating the humerous bone in the shoulder joint?

I rarely feel like I've worked my lats after a swim. I feel it big time in my delts, to the point of "bad" (i.e., tendon/injury) pain developing during my swim.

2013-01-24 10:29 PM
    in reply to: #4593301

totally agree neuronet, defintely think I'll start back easy this weekend to see how the foot is reacts.  I guess I really need a new program to get on to be ready for my HIM in July.  I have almost 6 months to get ready, any suggestions?
    2013-01-25 10:33 AM
    in reply to: #4592712

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Wow -- sorry to hear about your setback. My advice is rest for a few weeks. You're not going to lose much fitness, and you'll give yourself some needed recovery time. Then ease back into your training -- short duration, one workout a day, and gradually increase to where you need to be for the start of the 16-week HIM program.

Look at the long-term, not the short. You've put in a lot of training with your 1/2-IM program, and your body needs some down time. You'll come back stronger, and ready to build for a good race in July. FWIW, you might see if there's a more advanced HIM program available, or work with a coach to develop a new one if you're really interested and want to make the investment.

Ken

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-24 10:56 AM

Hi Ken,

Given my A race isn't until July 21, I have no idea where to pick up.  Do I casually work all three elements as excercise and enjoyment until I get 16 weeks out and then start the HIM training program over again or do I try and pick up where I left off focus on increasing time before transitioning to frequency and intensity or something different?

2013-01-25 10:35 AM
    in reply to: #4593304

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Subject: RE: Swimming with emphasis on lats
    Great question(s). Give me a little time to work on the answer - I want to be sure I'm addressing it thoroughly.

Ken

neuronet - 2013-01-24 4:04 PM

When I swim I want to pull more with my lats, less with my little posterior/medial delts. Any good ways to train to do this? Biomechanically, it is impossible to use zero delts, the question is one of emphasis. How do I shift mine to a more back (lat/trap) driven stroke?

Is the key to roll the shoulder girdle to take as much power as I can, compared to simply rotating the humerous bone in the shoulder joint?

I rarely feel like I've worked my lats after a swim. I feel it big time in my delts, to the point of "bad" (i.e., tendon/injury) pain developing during my swim.

2013-01-25 10:49 AM

User image

Shawnee, KS

OK I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for my first two races

Kansas City Tri - May 19th (Sprint)

St. Louis 5i50 - June 29th (Sprint)

St. Louis will be my "A" Race as I expect it to be a little more challenging and the bike course is going to be 18-miles as compared to 12-miles for the KC Tri.

It was photographing the KC Tri last year that inspired me to take on this challenge in the first place. So my plan for that race is to have fun and learn as much as I can.

2013-01-25 5:10 PM
    in reply to: #4594452

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Awesome! Let me know if I can help in your planning. The one best thing that'll help you (aside from consistent training, of course) is to be sure you've rehearsed your transition set up and transitions. I've seen people drop significant time in T1 and T2. That's the one true place you can get "free speed."

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-25 11:49 AM

OK I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for my first two races

Kansas City Tri - May 19th (Sprint)

St. Louis 5i50 - June 29th (Sprint)

St. Louis will be my "A" Race as I expect it to be a little more challenging and the bike course is going to be 18-miles as compared to 12-miles for the KC Tri.

It was photographing the KC Tri last year that inspired me to take on this challenge in the first place. So my plan for that race is to have fun and learn as much as I can.

2013-01-25 5:18 PM
    in reply to: #4594420

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    OK -- I talked to a good friend of mine, a former University of Texas swimmer -- believe me, she's forgotten more about swimming than I know... ;-)

The lats are important, as you realize. The best way to do that is get a good rotation of the body, stretching the arm out so you're on your side and can engage the lats. To teach this, work the six-kick drill. Kick six times on the right side, with the right arm extended. Then pull, keeping the elbow high, and rotate to the left and repeat. Concentrate on engaging the back muscles when you pull.

Use this drill when warming up and concentrate on that key when you're doing easy recovery swims between sets. Feel free to ask me advice on putting together swim workouts that will incorporate these.

Ken

kenail - 2013-01-25 11:35 AM

Great question(s). Give me a little time to work on the answer - I want to be sure I'm addressing it thoroughly.

Ken

neuronet - 2013-01-24 4:04 PM

2013-01-26 10:35 AM
    in reply to: #4595094

User image

Veteran

kenail - 2013-01-25 5:18 PM OK -- I talked to a good friend of mine, a former University of Texas swimmer -- believe me, she's forgotten more about swimming than I know... ;-) The lats are important, as you realize. The best way to do that is get a good rotation of the body, stretching the arm out so you're on your side and can engage the lats. To teach this, work the six-kick drill. Kick six times on the right side, with the right arm extended. Then pull, keeping the elbow high, and rotate to the left and repeat. Concentrate on engaging the back muscles when you pull. Use this drill when warming up and concentrate on that key when you're doing easy recovery swims between sets. Feel free to ask me advice on putting together swim workouts that will incorporate these. Ken

Awesome I'll try it on my next workout. Thanks.

2013-01-27 9:15 AM
    in reply to: #4595587

User image

Expert
    Charlottesville, VA
    Looking forward to hearing about it!

Ken

neuronet - 2013-01-26 11:35 AM

Awesome I'll try it on my next workout. Thanks.

2013-01-27 12:15 PM
    in reply to: #4590280

New user

Garner, Iowa

I will take the ride down. I should volunteer.

I have the Joplin Marathon on Saturday. I am planning to do the half.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenail's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7