Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-03-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4641602

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED
Going to train my body and mind today.  After work I'm hitting the road for a run then I have a tri clinic at the LBS.  The RD for my first race this year (HITS Ocala) will be there with a presentation.  Should be some good stuff.  Tonight is a talk then there's a mock tri in the morning.  Family stuff may keep me home tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to tonight.

2013-03-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4642439

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Fokker416 - 2013-03-01 1:58 PM Going to train my body and mind today.  After work I'm hitting the road for a run then I have a tri clinic at the LBS.  The RD for my first race this year (HITS Ocala) will be there with a presentation.  Should be some good stuff.  Tonight is a talk then there's a mock tri in the morning.  Family stuff may keep me home tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to tonight.

Good stuff.  Give us a recap of the tri clinic and what you learned.  Would be great to hear!

2013-03-03 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4552962

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Wow.  Incredible clinic.  Mark Wilson is a really nice guy and gave a great clinic.  We got a LOT of information.  Honestly, I'm still absorbing it I think.  This was the first time I was in a room listening to someone who is a professional in the sport.  If you haven't done it, do it.  Someone who coaches for a living has a very different perspective when speaking.  We talked about training, nutrition, and run form.  All of it was based on finding out where the athlete was currently and where they want to be.  Very little was about him and he encouraged us to research everything he said.  It was the kind of humility that generally conveys that someone really knows the job to the point they're not worried about proving it.  He also ran a triathlon camp this week.  I didn't do it this year, but just looking on the amount of info I got in one evening it looks like it would very much be worth the time and money.

The big picture stuff I walked away with:

Make a specific goal for the season whether it's a time, distance completion, podium, etc, but set the year to that goal.

Speed work should be done often.  Simply running hills (not necessarily sprinting) will make you stronger and faster.  I'm putting more track work and more hill runs in my routine.

Patience.

Work within yourself.  Not just from a "race your race" standpoint, but goals, ability, time, money, etc.  It's ok that I can't really swing purchasing a tri bike right now, it doesn't mean you can't still get better on the bike.

I really need to work on my run form.

If you can make it to a clinic, go.

This is a very scant outline of everything we talked about.  There was so much information that I couldn't really put it all on here.  In the short term I'm sitting down with myself and really evaluating the season and putting down some more specific goals and plans.

In regards to HITS.  I raced it last year as my first tri ever and it was great.  I've done more now so I can realize that this is going to be a great series that will be around a long time.  I'm proud to say that our race (HITS Ocala) made triathlete magazine as a top race.  The series is very customer service related and that definitely starts with the RD.  If you're considering one of them, I say go.

2013-03-03 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4644093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Fokker416 - 2013-03-03 7:21 AM

Wow.  Incredible clinic.  Mark Wilson is a really nice guy and gave a great clinic.  We got a LOT of information.  Honestly, I'm still absorbing it I think.  This was the first time I was in a room listening to someone who is a professional in the sport.  If you haven't done it, do it.  Someone who coaches for a living has a very different perspective when speaking.  We talked about training, nutrition, and run form.  All of it was based on finding out where the athlete was currently and where they want to be.  Very little was about him and he encouraged us to research everything he said.  It was the kind of humility that generally conveys that someone really knows the job to the point they're not worried about proving it.  He also ran a triathlon camp this week.  I didn't do it this year, but just looking on the amount of info I got in one evening it looks like it would very much be worth the time and money.

The big picture stuff I walked away with:

Make a specific goal for the season whether it's a time, distance completion, podium, etc, but set the year to that goal.

Speed work should be done often.  Simply running hills (not necessarily sprinting) will make you stronger and faster.  I'm putting more track work and more hill runs in my routine.

Patience.

Work within yourself.  Not just from a "race your race" standpoint, but goals, ability, time, money, etc.  It's ok that I can't really swing purchasing a tri bike right now, it doesn't mean you can't still get better on the bike.

I really need to work on my run form.

If you can make it to a clinic, go.

This is a very scant outline of everything we talked about.  There was so much information that I couldn't really put it all on here.  In the short term I'm sitting down with myself and really evaluating the season and putting down some more specific goals and plans.

In regards to HITS.  I raced it last year as my first tri ever and it was great.  I've done more now so I can realize that this is going to be a great series that will be around a long time.  I'm proud to say that our race (HITS Ocala) made triathlete magazine as a top race.  The series is very customer service related and that definitely starts with the RD.  If you're considering one of them, I say go.

Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing.  Some of that is directly applicable to things I've figured out over the last year.  Glad to hear some validation .  I really hope HITS succeeds.  I wanted to do their Hunter Mountain race this year as it is the closest to me, but I don't know if I will be able to swing it with the schedule.  Maybe I'll come down for Ocala next year

2013-03-05 7:55 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Thanks for the key points from the clinic. It's always interesting to hear other people's take on things. I have my first tri of the year on Saturday. I am grossly underprepared for the bike portion. Even though it's only 10 miles I am a bit nervous. I have been swimming fairly regularly and it's only 300 yd so I feel ok about that. My running has been going well lately that's not an issue. I rode 20 miles on Saturday and felt slow and weak. I have ridden the bike at the gym a bit but that's not the same at all. Hope the weather holds out. Supposed to be chilly. Hope the weather gets better for everyone to get some serious training in. Anyone have any experience with the Rev 3 series? I was contemplating Williamsburg oly in June .Don't forget to change your clocks this weekend- more time to train in the evening!Paula
2013-03-06 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4647954

User image

Harare

Good luck this weekend, Paula!

My dad is in town visiting, so I've missed a couple workouts and will definitely miss a few more this week as we'll be traveling. I'm bringing my bike with us, but I'm sure I won't have the time, motivation or access to a pool to keep up with my program. I suspect the hotel we're at will have something like a 12 meter pool...2000 yards sounds a bit dizzying. I'm trying not to stress and will make sure to get my long ride in (did my long run this morning...10 miles in 90 minutes . But I hate seeing that little "Actual vs. Planned" training graph on the left of my logs begin to slip.

Hope everyone has a productive week/weekend. I'll check back in next week.

-Dan

2013-03-09 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Anyone racing this weekend?  What's on tap for training?  I'm about to get on the trainer for a 90/30 brick.  Beautiful weather here in Philly today.  Should make for a nice run portion!
2013-03-09 8:36 PM

Regular

Hi all, hope everyone is doing great!

It's been a bit since I last checked in; February just sucked for me. I'm the guy who overtrained, gave up coffee, and suffered from the winter blues. I've done what I could but body was not well February and I needed to be patient with it. Since the first bad week after Lent body has been slowly coming back. Here in Michigan we're finally getting the good sunshine that signifies Spring is around the corner, the golden rays versus the bleak weak ones that we usually get through the winter. I know what I'm talking about

I was getting ready to hit 195 before things went awry; I ended gaining 8 lbs. during the subsequent two weeks. Since then I've lost 4 pounds and got myself back under 200lbs. Mentally and physically it's all coming back together but I'm not going to rush myself getting back into my training; I feel sorry for my body, I know I push myself to hard, I can't help it! The best part is I'm beginning to look forward to getting back at it versus questioning if perhaps I lost something. Today I swam 2800 straight and it felt pretty good; it's neat to be doing something you know 95% of the members couldn't do half of. Look forward to being a more regular participant in the group!

2013-03-10 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4653388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Phaethon - 2013-03-09 8:36 PM

Hi all, hope everyone is doing great!

It's been a bit since I last checked in; February just sucked for me. I'm the guy who overtrained, gave up coffee, and suffered from the winter blues. I've done what I could but body was not well February and I needed to be patient with it. Since the first bad week after Lent body has been slowly coming back. Here in Michigan we're finally getting the good sunshine that signifies Spring is around the corner, the golden rays versus the bleak weak ones that we usually get through the winter. I know what I'm talking about

I was getting ready to hit 195 before things went awry; I ended gaining 8 lbs. during the subsequent two weeks. Since then I've lost 4 pounds and got myself back under 200lbs. Mentally and physically it's all coming back together but I'm not going to rush myself getting back into my training; I feel sorry for my body, I know I push myself to hard, I can't help it! The best part is I'm beginning to look forward to getting back at it versus questioning if perhaps I lost something. Today I swam 2800 straight and it felt pretty good; it's neat to be doing something you know 95% of the members couldn't do half of. Look forward to being a more regular participant in the group!

Great attitude!  Feb was similar for me in that I was sick on and off for almost 2/3 of the month.  Seriously put a kink in my base phase leading up to Ironman Louisville.  When life gives you lemons, make lemonade right!?

2013-03-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4653081

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

japewang - 2013-03-09 12:29 PM Anyone racing this weekend?  What's on tap for training?  I'm about to get on the trainer for a 90/30 brick.  Beautiful weather here in Philly today.  Should make for a nice run portion!

I'm still two weeks out from my first race.  The weather has moved my training around, but I'm ready.  Might still be knocking rust off a little, but I'm up for a good time.  This should be our last spell of chilly weather and the pool is back on the warm weather schedule so things are coming together.  I know, chilly weather.  I can't help it, I'm from Florida.  I freeze to death at room temperature.  We'll make up for it in the summer.

Looks like I'm finally going to get a bit of regular strength training.  We got a new captain at work (Fire Dept) and he's quite the functional strength and crossfit person.  He's 11 years younger than me and in phenomenal shape, so I'm not doing his workouts.  We had a good talk today about training and we're going to work together.  Today was a great first day.  He did the "Filthy Fifty" workout.  I modified it to the "Dirty Thirty" and it was pretty good, and I still have gas to get on the trainer today.  Positive things happening.

2013-03-10 8:26 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Sounds like everyone is getting back on track. Now that we changed the clocks at least it will be light out after work. I usually train in the morning so it really dark again . I had my first tri of the year yesterday. I haven't done my race report yet but it was good to shake the dust off. I met my goal of a PR would have done better if I didn't forget my helmet and had technical difficulties with my garmin. Oh and a wardrobe malfunction too! Ironically I was sandwiched between two 73 year old men who are rivals. The one behind me on the swim told me he put in a time 30 seconds slower than what he really does because he wanted to be seeded next to his rival. The thought of being passed by a 73 year old haunted me so I swam great, even caught the guy ahead of me. They both killed me on the bike though. I got my revenge on the run and was able to leave them in my dust. We were all packing up at the same time and they were still talking smack to each other. It's awesome to see people that age still be in great shape and competitive. Hope I can still do it in 30 more years!

2013-03-11 3:07 PM

User image

What a weekend! I went to St. George for a training camp. We arrived on Friday, ran 4 miles then swam 1500m. Then on Saturday I ran 10 miles on the course (everyone else did 13.1, but I wasn't up to that distance yet), and later in the afternoon rode the back half of the bike course - the long, hard uphill climb and 10 mile descent. On Sunday morning we were up bright and early in the dark, cold and wind to ride the full 56 mile course. Whoa. That was the hardest bike ride I have ever done. It was ALL hills. On the bright side, I finished, and only about 30 minutes slower than one of the really strong male riders. I came in 2nd of all the ladies. So I was pretty happy about that (and the girl who finished first is a super light girl with some amazing climbing ability!). I then did a 1.5 mile transition run to try to feel my toes and get the legs to turn over!

It was a rough weekend. At points I wondered why I was doing this to myself. On the long run when everyone was pulling away I was pretty demoralized. And on the bike route (which goes on part of the run course) as I was going up a long hill, I was just imagining people passing me on my bike while they were running. I hit a low there. And the last 2 miles of the super hard 38-46 mile climb, I was going so slow I thought I would be better off getting off my bike and walking it up the hill. Ugh.

But, I came away from it knowing that the course is doable. That I can do it. I will finish (barring mechanical issues). I CAN DO IT. I may be crazy, I still have no idea why I chose St. George to be my first (and maybe only) HIM. But I know it is possible and doable now. That is a great feeling. And I still have 8 weeks left to get to some hills, try to improve my climbing and to practice transition runs. I think that after EVERY bike ride I have to run at least a mile to get my legs used to turning over. I also need to practice riding hills and then transitioning to straight up a hill on the run - cause that is what the course is.

Well, here is to some tough training over the next 6 weeks before my 2 weeks of taper....

2013-03-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4655481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
lalusp - 2013-03-11 3:07 PM

What a weekend! I went to St. George for a training camp. We arrived on Friday, ran 4 miles then swam 1500m. Then on Saturday I ran 10 miles on the course (everyone else did 13.1, but I wasn't up to that distance yet), and later in the afternoon rode the back half of the bike course - the long, hard uphill climb and 10 mile descent. On Sunday morning we were up bright and early in the dark, cold and wind to ride the full 56 mile course. Whoa. That was the hardest bike ride I have ever done. It was ALL hills. On the bright side, I finished, and only about 30 minutes slower than one of the really strong male riders. I came in 2nd of all the ladies. So I was pretty happy about that (and the girl who finished first is a super light girl with some amazing climbing ability!). I then did a 1.5 mile transition run to try to feel my toes and get the legs to turn over!

It was a rough weekend. At points I wondered why I was doing this to myself. On the long run when everyone was pulling away I was pretty demoralized. And on the bike route (which goes on part of the run course) as I was going up a long hill, I was just imagining people passing me on my bike while they were running. I hit a low there. And the last 2 miles of the super hard 38-46 mile climb, I was going so slow I thought I would be better off getting off my bike and walking it up the hill. Ugh.

But, I came away from it knowing that the course is doable. That I can do it. I will finish (barring mechanical issues). I CAN DO IT. I may be crazy, I still have no idea why I chose St. George to be my first (and maybe only) HIM. But I know it is possible and doable now. That is a great feeling. And I still have 8 weeks left to get to some hills, try to improve my climbing and to practice transition runs. I think that after EVERY bike ride I have to run at least a mile to get my legs used to turning over. I also need to practice riding hills and then transitioning to straight up a hill on the run - cause that is what the course is.

Well, here is to some tough training over the next 6 weeks before my 2 weeks of taper....

What a confidence builder!  Sounds like a great weekend!  Don't worry about others.  Your first time at any distance is for you. So you can finish and savor your accomplishment.  That's one of the reasons I love tri.  When you boil it down, sure you like to compete against others, but at the end of the day I'm challenging and competing against myself.  

2013-03-15 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Anyone racing this weekend?

I race my first this year next weekend.  HITS Ocala.  I went out to the course today to do some scouting.  Water was 60degrees.  I know some of you more Northerly types won't bat an eye to that, but my family has been in FL for so long I'm fairly certain I'm related to alligators.  The weather is turning warmer starting today so it will warm a little.  Any advice on dealing with water that's colder than you are used to?  I'm going to swim out there next week, today was a bike and run scout.

2013-03-16 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4661799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Good luck!  Let us know how the race goes!  I hope HITS catches on.  Can't have too many quality companies offering races.

Fokker416 - 2013-03-15 4:53 PM

Anyone racing this weekend?

I race my first this year next weekend.  HITS Ocala.  I went out to the course today to do some scouting.  Water was 60degrees.  I know some of you more Northerly types won't bat an eye to that, but my family has been in FL for so long I'm fairly certain I'm related to alligators.  The weather is turning warmer starting today so it will warm a little.  Any advice on dealing with water that's colder than you are used to?  I'm going to swim out there next week, today was a bike and run scout.

2013-03-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4661799

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Laura, super confidence booster for you last week. Sounds like you are going to do great on the bike for the race!

Jim, that's great that you were able to scout the course a bit ahead of time. That should help on race day. With cooler water temperatures like that you'll want to simplify anything in transition that takes dexterity in your fingers or at least go into it knowing that tying shoes, clipping on your helmet, etc. will all take just a little bit longer with fingers that are feeling numb. Also shifting your bike for the first couple miles is likely to feel a bit strange with numb fingers too. Your feet will probably be a little numb also so take it a little easier than normal when running from the swim to T1.

As for me I ran in a small 5k today and took 2nd in my age group and 10th place overall! My daughter took 5th place overall in a 1 mile run! It was a fundraiser for her middle school. We had a great morning out there. Next week I get back into training for my first half marathon in May. 

2013-03-16 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4662514

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
JonnyVero - 2013-03-16 4:07 PM

As for me I ran in a small 5k today and took 2nd in my age group and 10th place overall! My daughter took 5th place overall in a 1 mile run! It was a fundraiser for her middle school. We had a great morning out there. Next week I get back into training for my first half marathon in May. 

Great job, congrats!

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to hit the water out there next week to get a feel for it.  HITS last year was my first tri ever and I did the classic "first OWS, first swim in a wetsuit because it's the coldest swim in years" race plan.  I'm much more prepared this year and really looking to a great race. 

2013-03-18 2:42 AM

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

Things seems to progressing nicely for everyone.  Me too. Managed a 90 minute run yesterday. Still not 100% confident about my calf muscles but I have no pain this this morning. I had to stop to cross roads a traffic lights on the run ( well , jog actually ) so I used that time to stretch.

Back running over an hour so I'm now meeting the minimum standard to start the beginner 20 week HIM programme. There's a local HIM in 22weeks. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

2013-03-18 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4663861

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Clairaig - 2013-03-18 3:42 AM

Things seems to progressing nicely for everyone.  Me too. Managed a 90 minute run yesterday. Still not 100% confident about my calf muscles but I have no pain this this morning. I had to stop to cross roads a traffic lights on the run ( well , jog actually ) so I used that time to stretch.

Back running over an hour so I'm now meeting the minimum standard to start the beginner 20 week HIM programme. There's a local HIM in 22weeks. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

2013-03-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4663966

New user

Airdrie, Scotland
Fokker416 - 2013-03-18 1:23 PM
Clairaig - 2013-03-18 3:42 AM

Laughing 

It won't fill quickly so I'll be able to start the programme and make a final decision closer the time. No point in training without a goal after all!

2013-03-20 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Well it's officially taper time.  Race day is Sunday.  I went out to the race site today and jumped in for a while.  Wetsuit felt good, stayed nice and comfortable.  The open water threw me a bit but I felt ok.  I didn't bring ear plugs, but I plan on wearing them on race day.  I would swim for a while then come up dizzy.  I'm pretty sure it's the cold water.  Even when I'm working super hard in the pool I don't feel quite like that.  The weather forecast looks a little rainy, but hopefully it will hold off until the afternoon.

2013-03-21 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4668159

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

Fokker416 - 2013-03-21 12:30 AM Well it's officially taper time.  Race day is Sunday.  I went out to the race site today and jumped in for a while.  Wetsuit felt good, stayed nice and comfortable.  The open water threw me a bit but I felt ok.  I didn't bring ear plugs, but I plan on wearing them on race day.  I would swim for a while then come up dizzy.  I'm pretty sure it's the cold water.  Even when I'm working super hard in the pool I don't feel quite like that.  The weather forecast looks a little rainy, but hopefully it will hold off until the afternoon.

Best of luck for Sunday. I look forward to your report next week.

2013-03-21 11:26 AM

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

I'm attending a triathlon training camp this weekend and I thought you might be interested to see the programme. I'm a bit apprehensive about lasting the pace but I'm told there are people of "mixed ability" attending. I hope to pick up some hints and tips from coaches and experienced competitors.

The event takes places in the Scottish borders. Beautiful countryside but the forecast for the weekend is not good unfortunately. At the moment it's showing -1C, light snow and 15mph wind.

I think the cycling activity might be curtailed. Some are taking mountain bikes as an alternative and the organisers have also suggested taking turbo trainers if you have one. I think I'll just take ALL my kit and take a scarf and gloves too!

I'll post a report next week if I survive!

SPRING TRAINING CAMP 2013 PROGRAMME

FRIDAY

14:00 - 14:30 Meet for ride at front of Tontine Hotel - http://goo.gl/maps/VRSMcHotel check in from 2pm.

14:30 – 17:30 Easy group ride for anyone able to travel early as not working. 2-3 hrs with 3 groups of ability / speed and distance. ~40km, 55km or 70km.

15:30 – Late Participants arrive at Tontine Hotel, dinner available here or elsewhere in Peebles.

21:00 – 22:00 Quiz or other social activity.

SATURDAY

08:00 – 09:00 Run session from hotel – easy aerobic plus tech development drills.

09:00 – 10:00 Breakfast – at accommodation

10:30 – 15:00 Bike ride options – 50km – 110km!!

11:00 - 12:00 Flexibility and core stability workshop - Gytes Leisure Centre.

16:00 - 17:00 Swim session – technical development, open water skills + recovery

running.

17:30 - 18:30 Bike Clean / service session

18:30 – 19:30 Training workshop – Marginal Gains – How to get the most from training time.

20:00 - Late Dinner / social options?

SUNDAY

08:00 – 09:00 Run session from hotel – easy aerobic plus tech development drills.

09:00 – 10:00 Breakfast – at accommodation

10:30 – 12:00 Transition workshop / Training.

12:00 - 13:00 Lunch / ride prep

13:00 – 15:30 Bike ride with quality training options and technique work – hill climbing and descending / chaingang.

16:00 - 17:00 Swim session – technical development

17:00 Depart Peebles.

2013-03-22 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4668939

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Looks like a lot of fun!  Let us know how it goes!
2013-03-24 2:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Uggghh! Had to cancel my training run today. I've come down with a cold. Horrible timing with my first half marathon in just a month and a half.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9