General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me choose my 2013 HIMs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-29 3:45 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Subject: Help me choose my 2013 HIMs

I've sort of reached a decision-making impasse on which races to do in 2013. Super-quick background: 2012 was my first triathlon season. Although I managed to podium in a couple of races, I think I fall pretty FMOP in shorter races, BMOP in the 70.3 I did (Rev3 Anderson). My "big" races for 2013, I'd like to do an early (April/May) HIM, a late HIM, and I'm about 75% sure I'm planning to go to Milwaukee for the USAT Oly distance race in August - I certainly can't count on qualifying every year so I figure I should take the opportunity while I have it. I'd also like to try one IM-branded race, but just one. Here's my short list of possibilities so far:

Early HIM - IM 70.3 Florida (5/19), Chattahoochie Challenge (4/20), TryCharleston (4/20), Rev3 Knoxville (5/5)

Late HIM - IM 70.3 Augusta (9/29), Carolina Half (9/29), Rev3 Anderson (10/13)

I'm open to other options, though I'd like to keep it to a 4-5 hour drive max (closer if possible - Florida is an exception because my parents are there). Are any of these races must-dos or must-avoids? Any big factors to consider in comparing Augusta and Florida 70.3s, assuming I pick just one of them? I may be overthinking this. Am I overthinking this?

2012-12-29 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4553179

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Subject: RE: Help me choose my 2013 HIMs
On your list, I have only done Charleston and Augusta.  I would say that Augusta is a must do for a late season half, but Rev 3 gets great reviews.  I raced Charleston last year, and this is my hometown, so I loved being able to race in the area.  Charleston is a low key, small half.  But it is fast, fast, fast... Only downside, is it has two separate transition areas.  Not a problem for some, but I don't like this type of set up. If the winds are calm, you will likely have a good time. 
2012-12-29 7:23 PM

User image

Elite
SE

This is a great set of questions S. I think it comes down to what you really want. Obviously the two Mdots on there are Florida and Augusta. I would also suggest New Orleans as an option in April for Mdot.

From what I can tell, the new Florida course wasn't all that special or inviting and is further away, but I would check race reports of 2012. New Orleans had the swim cxd last two years and moved to a marina? to guarantee the swim happens this year. And it ends in the French Quarter, so I am going there!

Of those, I think, living around here and needing an Mdot, you really need to lean towards Augusta and have your Spring be the non-Mdot. So many of the locals do it, have done it, and some of your friends probably are doing Augusta. Its an easy in and out, not to mention the course being the perfect PR course as you have heard. You would crush it. 

The flip side is to do New Orleans or Florida and then bang out the inaugural Charlotte which will be nice, less expensive, and much less packed most likely. Or do Rev3 Anderson again and get some paybacks!

You did Rev3 so you know you can't go wrong. They are the best races. The courses are honest and there is not much difference from Knox or Anderson. I can't argue against either but you wanted an Mdot. And, if you did one of the two, Anderson is the easier in and out, but I like new expereinces so I would lean towards a pairing of Knox/Augusta if you preferred a Rev3 in the equation.

So to summarize, Spring, I'd point you to Charleston (easier course) or Rev3 Knox (harder course) and Fall, I'd point you to Augusta. Plan B would be New Orleans then Charlotte (easier course most likely) or Anderson (harder course). Rev3 gets the bumps for fun and the other two get the bump for easier course profile/PR potential.

2012-12-29 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
the chat challenge is a great race. you can find the right up for it from last years in this forum.  I layed out a full description of the course. it is super fast. great venue and growing competitors from first timers to nationaly ranked.
2013-01-01 10:28 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA

I just want to thank you guys for all of the advice/analysis. I'm still thinking! When I put New Orleans on the list, hubby and I both perked up briefly, but then realized the kids are still too little to appreciate it (or for him to want to manage them there on race day) and we're not prepared at this point to take a kid-free trip. So it's on the list for future years, for sure.

I think the more I consider it, although I like to stay off the beaten path (hence Rev3 Anderson last year instead of Augusta), sometimes I do want to hang with the cool kids and it would be fun (and fairly convenient) to do Augusta. So I am leaning that way, but not settled. 2 transitions wouldn't turn me off Charleston for the spring (it was fine in Anderson), but I'm undecided there as well.

2013-01-02 9:21 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Anderson SC update: I forgot to mention its long course national champs this year so it may be a bit more packed out there. This could be good or bad but I would hope they would extend the tight quarters of that smallish T1.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me choose my 2013 HIMs Rss Feed