BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-20 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4556523

Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014
Got out for a run today - felt great even though barely above freezing in the wind and rain.

Rejoined the gym to get access to a heated pool.

Starting to put together a training plan and picked a sprint tri in Asheville NC on June 15th for my first event.

2013-01-21 4:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014
My training week started off rocky, but I finished with a great weekend.  Yesterday I had a session with a local swim coach and came away with some great info, an improvement in my stroke, and some drills to work on.
2013-01-21 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4587470

Connecticut
I am always interested in hear about swimming tips from coaches. What tips/excesses did you get.
2013-01-21 12:24 PM

I'm here, not much last week. Ran 7.5, Bike 19.5, Swim 1200yds, trying to learn bi-lateral breathing, have a lot to learn.
2013-01-21 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
I need to work on a longer stroke, reaching more, more roll, improving my catch, etc.  My kick was ok, though!
2013-01-22 10:37 PM

Swimming is improving, working on bi-lateral breathing, hardly swallowed any water today. It's going to take some time, but I am enjoying the challenge.

2013-01-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4588499

Connecticut

Honey Badger - These are similar to what I need to work on as well. I find using swimming paddles helps a lot with my catch.

Your name (Honay Badger) looks familier - did you run the Boston Marathon back in 2011?

2013-01-23 8:03 PM

User image

El Paso, TX
I got back to 2-a-days today.  Some spinning in the morning and Crossfit Endurance at lunch.
2013-01-24 1:27 PM

I had my first anxiety induced triathlon dream last night. You know the dreams where you're back in school and can't find your classroom or you have to take an exam and realize you never went to class and have no idea what's going on? Ya, it was like that. I showed up late and everybody had already started the race and I was wearing a really really baggy wetsuit and on and on it went. 

Starting to feel like I bit off more than I can chew with my May HIM plan.

Even writing this is making my throat close a little...Maybe a good bike trainer workout will help!

2013-01-24 2:41 PM

Orlando

How do I find out where I can do an open water swim in the Orlando area?

Is there a website.  Yes I know I can just go find a lake and jump in it.  I'm looking for something a little more organized because I really dont feel like drowning this week.

Maybe next week, but not this week

thanks!

Lou

2013-01-24 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4590772

User image

Veteran
Nope, wasn't me.

2013-01-27 1:14 PM

Extreme Veteran

Chunky - breathe - breathe - breathe ----it was a big bite but we can get through it.  Breathe.  Now go swim....

Open Water swims - try triathlon shops locally - many have training groups you can join pretty inexpensively or you can just show up when they open water swim and see if they will let you tag along.  One other option is to find a kayak club or rental place and ask someone who has rented a kayak if they will stay with you while you swim.  Many people don't have anyone to paddle with or anywhere specific to go but they like to kayak - I would think they would stay with you just for something different.  Finally, ask the other swimmers at your pool to see if they OWS somewhere in the area.  One other idea, get a couple of them together and rent a kayak - one of you paddles while the others swim, then trade places....and so on and so on

Do NOT open water swim alone.  Period.  I don't care what floaties you have on.....don't swim open water alone.

Wear a swim cap at the pool.  Not only is it better for your hair, if people see you are a triathlete, they will sometimes ask you questions and you might find a OWS buddy.  With swim caps, wet your hair, put on the cap and swim.  This keeps as much chlorine out of your hair as possible.  Ladies - if you happen to color your hair - this will keep the color in your hair much longer.

Did I mention - NEVER OPEN WATER SWIM ALONE

Swim tips - REACH - this will extend your roll as well, if you want to roll more, reach more, you can't help but roll.  Be sure your hand is in a hydrodynamic position as you reach.

Another tip - keep your nose pointed at the bottom.  Your eyes should be looking straight at the bottom of the pool.  The top of your head should be pointed at the wall where you are swimming.  Do NOT raise your head up or your feet will sink.  If you feel your feet sink, point your eyes further toward the bottom of the pool and your feet will float.  What happens here is that you get more weight (in your torso) using the buoyancy of your lungs (the most buoyant part of your body).  When your head is up and your eyes and nose are pointed/facing where you are going, that buoyancy is wasted holding up your head and nothing else....all that weight in your torso and legs sinks....trust me it works....

A great exercise, go to the pool, float on your back.....yes you can, I know I know, you sink....trust me - you can float on your back.  You are not too heavy....it took me three weeks trying for over 30 minutes a day but you can float...and when you get it - you will understand buoyancy and efficiency in the water....   Reminder - a fish swims like this   ------     only humans try to swim with this body position     /     head up and feet down in not very fish like.....by the way, trying to float, we a nose plug and goggles, relax, breathe, have a bit of propulsion (barely push off the wall as you just want to be moving) and put the back of your head further under water....I know - you think you are....put it further....like the water will be going in your eyes, nose and mouth from time to time.

have a great week....we will be moving over to the other group next week.

Bryan

2013-01-27 2:15 PM

I started running again this week after a few weeks off due to a medical issue.  Plus its freezing here in NY.  Went for an easy 3 miler that ended up not feeling so easy.  I'll get back to where I want to be quickly I'm sure.  Finding time for everything is a huge obstacle.  Full time job, part time school, and a 10 week old baby!
2013-01-27 3:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Great job - I am sure it is cold in NY...pretty warm in TX right now...but it will also be HOT this summer
2013-01-28 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
so the whole family has the flu. At what point is it not ok to get in a workout?
2013-01-29 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4598814

Connecticut
I dont know, but in my house, as soon as my wife gets sick everything turns to chaos.  Thats when I abandon my workout and learn to apprecite all she does!

2013-01-29 8:41 AM

Bryan, thank you so much for the swimming tips. It inspired me enough to almost go to the pool yesterday..

I am going today (really!) and I've also taken your advice and joined my local Y's multi-sport club. Again, way beyond my normal bounds but they do some open water swimming and even I realize I can't have my race day be my first time open water swimming. I signed my 20 year old son up as well (he was a competitive swimmer for 12 years and is now coaching). He's also been all over me about my stroke reach and rolling so I am focusing on that today..when I go.

Carolyn

2013-01-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4598814

I remember somebody telling me once that if you don't feel well above the neck, i.e. head cold, working out was still okay. If it's below the neck - chest congestion, general body malaise, etc,- it's best to rest. 

That was also eleventybillion years ago but maybe there's some truth to that. Regardless, hope you all start feeling better soon.

2013-01-29 10:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Carolyn - get you A$$ to the pool. Haha. Did that work?

Working out while sick-- many opinions here - mine is simple. I try to try. If I can't do it I stop. Look, if you can't breathe it is not doing anyone any good. Also some medicines raise your heart rate so be careful here.

Walk, spin slowly on a spin bike. Take it easy.

No one does every workout on a training plan - no matter what they say.

Be smart. Don't overdo it when sick. Recover and then get to work
2013-01-29 1:24 PM

Bryan, since you asked so nicely...

2000 yards today. It didn't feel completely awful either. I focused on rolling, reaching and pointing my nose down. I may even have swallowed a tad less water and ended with a little less of a headache than I usually do. 

Still loathe it, though.

Carolyn

2013-01-29 2:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Carolyn, my first swim in 2007 was 37 1/2 yds. That is it. Now I can swim 2.4 miles and actually enjoy it. It's not fast, may not be pretty but it gets done. I also really like to swim too. You might come around as well - especially with that really positive attitude. Haha

2013-01-31 9:39 AM

User image

El Paso, TX
Updated my training log for this week. Legs are feeling like lead from sprints.
2013-01-31 12:44 PM

User image

I am still here, sorry I have not been on here in a few days! The training is going well, I have been focusing on my swimming and maintaining my bike and run. I am in the pool three days a week, and I bought a trainer so I can bike at home during these winters months. I also have been participating in our local running club's winter series events. It has been nice to run outside with a group rather than the boring treadmill sessions. I will start a 20 week program on Monday working towards my first Half Ironman in June. Has anyone used the training programs on BT for the Half distance? Thoughts on it?

Steve

Hudson Crossings Tri -June 9th

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race

Edited by snicoll44 2013-01-31 12:57 PM
2013-02-03 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4603071

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
snicoll44 - 2013-01-31 10:44 AM

I am still here, sorry I have not been on here in a few days! The training is going well, I have been focusing on my swimming and maintaining my bike and run. I am in the pool three days a week, and I bought a trainer so I can bike at home during these winters months. I also have been participating in our local running club's winter series events. It has been nice to run outside with a group rather than the boring treadmill sessions. I will start a 20 week program on Monday working towards my first Half Ironman in June. Has anyone used the training programs on BT for the Half distance? Thoughts on it?

Steve

Hudson Crossings Tri -June 9th

HITS North Country Tri 1/2 Iron - June 29th *Big Race

Steve:

I am currently using the BT intermediate half IM program - love it. I have used it three times and have done well with it each time including a 4th place finish at Silverman here in las vegas foreever ago. I have used another online training program for two years that was entirely HR based and it did not work for me. I wont say it did nothing as I think it gave me a great foundation but in terms of racing I felt the program did not contain enough "race pace" workouts that is why I have come back to the BT program. I think you will need to find what works for you and alot of that will depend on your fitness level when you start, how much time you have to train and working with what works for you. My husband is currently using the super simple half ironman training program from Triathlete Magazine (you can find it on google). It seems to have a lot less volume and is a little less structured training but it works for him.

Good luck!

Molly

2013-02-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4606272

User image

Thanks Molly for the feedback. I will definitely check out the program Triathlete Magazine too. I can already see that I am going to have to use whatever program I choose as just a guide for what should be accomplished on a weekly basis depending on how much time I have to devote to training. Like yourself, my spouse is training for a race as well, and we have our kids schedules to throw in the mix. Scheduling training is a challenge in itself!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for our sixth season - we will reopen in Jan 2014 Rss Feed  

of 5