General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary vs. Outside riding Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 2:30 PM

User image

Subject: Stationary vs. Outside riding
If my training plan calls for a brick workout of 1 hour ride and 30 minutes run, how much and what level should the stationary bike be on. It's easier for me as I don't need to change shoes, no stop lights, no worries about weather, etc. I'm still getting on the road at least once per week.

Thanks,
Brian

2006-06-27 2:34 PM
in reply to: #467649

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Stationary vs. Outside riding

Totally depends on what you're trying to get out of the brick....does the bike specify what to do?  Is it supposed to be a race simulation?  If so, you would need it set for race effort.  Is it supposed to be an easy ride to a run?  Less resistance then.

If it just says ride and hour I suggest you get a new training plan.  There are many good ones on the site that specify workouts instead of just saying to ride for an hour....

2006-06-27 10:08 PM
in reply to: #467649

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Stationary vs. Outside riding
I'd suggest you start by getting an inexpensive heart rate monitor and doing a bit of testing for yourself to establish appropriate training zones.  Check out this thread for a LONG discussion on HR training (head directly to the last page for my summary of the testing protocol and training zones).  Once you have that taken care of you won't need to know what level to but the stationary bike on since you'll be looking to ride within a specific HR zone.  Brick rides are generally done anywhere between Z1 and Z3 but I really can't give you a good answer without knowing the distance you are training for and how far along you are in the training plan.  As for not changing shoes...keep in mind that bricks serve as a good opportunity to practice your transition techniques.  Try to make it a ssimilar to what you'll do in a tri as possible.  Transition prcatice should be part of your overall training...transition is free time if you can get through it quickly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stationary vs. Outside riding Rss Feed